• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NFL Season ends: Patriots win Superbowl!

43773377_10101056244150123_8086814589573922816_n.jpg

But Cam Newton is the bad guy.

At any given time there is going to be more than one team desperate for a quarterback, then it becomes are you lucky enough that your pick corresponds to taking a quarterback, if not are you willing to give up enough to get who you want, finally are there any quarterbacks even worth taking. The supply and demand for quarterbacks is never going to change and stays pretty constant.

That’s fair but it’s quite possible to get a situation like 2005 where the one team desperate for a QB takes him first and everyone else feels pretty good about their guys so the next best QB slips.

Patriots
Redskins
Jaguars
Cowboys
Bills
Steelers
Titans
Bucs
Chargers
Broncos
Saints
Cardinals
Dolphins

There are plenty of teams that could potentially be looking to draft QB in 2020.

Several of those teams will draft a QB in 2019 and take themselves out of the mix for 2020 QBs.

Which of those teams do you think will take a QB in the first round in 2019?

Several of those teams will draft a QB in 2019 and take themselves out of the mix for 2020 QBs.
By several, you mean about two (maybe three tops) of those teams take a QB in the first round. Next year's QB class is very weak. It's Herbert and Drew Lock and then what? Haskins and Stidham? Yuck. There just aren't many guys worthy of a first round pick next year.

And that list doesn't even include the Giants.

A few random thoughts on these topics:

1- Eli sucks, but the Giants OL is going to be a problem for any QB they put back there.
2- Trading for Foles, or someone of that ilk, would be a disaster. I have no idea how it gets better this year... Eli is supposedly losing the locker room, so it's probably time to move on. But they are going to suck regardless.
3- You can definitely make the argument that Barkley is already the best RB in the NFL. I mean, he's one of the elite 3-4 guys. I'd take him over anyone, including Gurley, given his youth and lack of injury history.
4- I can see both sides of the Barkley/QB debate for the Giants... But Barkley was as much of a sure thing as there is in the draft. He graded higher than any RB in a long, long time (if not ever). I'm a guy who thinks RBs are a dime a dozen, but he's elite. QBs always seem like more of a crapshoot.
5- Teams are ALWAYS going to be looking for QBs. We already had the discussion about shitty QBs in the AFC East over the last 2 decades. Is anyone 100% sure that Darnold and Allen are going to be NFL starters in 2 years? (FWIW, I like them both)
6- Yes, it is a shitty year for college QBs, but it's still really early to say that. Guys always get hype during the season and end up getting drafted high. I mean Baker Mayfield went #1 overall. Lamar Jackson went in the first round. Neither of those guys were projected first round this time last year.
7- Cam Newton sucks. I hate him. But my uncle just did some work on his house in Atlanta and said he was a really nice guy... Just kind of aloof about how the real world works... So I am trying to reconsider my hatred.

Regardless of how bad the line is at pass pro (it's bad), I just can't imagine having to cheer for a complete statue at QB back there. I wonder if ELIte could run a 5.5 40 right now if his life depended on it? He makes Brady look like Steve Young.

Pretty easy to cheer for a guy who pulled two Super Bowl rings out of his ass. Hell, we still cheer for and defend Randolph Childress like he is Jesus just because of what he did on one ACC Tournament weekend 20+ years ago despite subsequently being a major contributor in completely decimating our basketball program. Think of how we would root for him if he had gotten us 2 natties and you'd be talking the aura of ELIte.

Giants are going to have to tank if they want to get Herbert because I imagine he'll be the 1st selection. But they may not have to try to hard to tank based on what I've seen from them outside of the Carolina game. Gonna be a nice year to have the #2 or 3 pick if you don't need a QB and settle for Ed Oliver or Lawrence. Looks like the Gmen, Bills, Niners and Raiders are vying for the top cellar dweller.

How's this for crazy?

2019 mock draft I just looked at (CBS Sports) has Daniel Jones (DUKE) as the #1 QB taken in the draft in 2019.

Ahead of Justin Herbert. Ryan Finley (NCSU) was the only other QB in the first round.

Because I hate the Giants, I think Jones would be a great pick for them.

Other QBs getting love:
Drew Lock (Mizzou)
Clayton Thorson (Northwestern)
Jarrett Stidham (Auburn) - ugh
Will Grier (WVU)
Dwayne Haskins (OSU)

Pretty easy to cheer for a guy who pulled two Super Bowl rings out of his ass. Hell, we still cheer for and defend Randolph Childress like he is Jesus just because of what he did on one ACC Tournament weekend 20+ years ago despite subsequently being a major contributor in completely decimating our basketball program. Think of how we would root for him if he had gotten us 2 natties and you'd be talking the aura of ELIte.

The vast majority of us want to see Childress fired as an assistant coach.

Giants are going to have to tank if they want to get Herbert because I imagine he'll be the 1st selection. But they may not have to try to hard to tank based on what I've seen from them outside of the Carolina game. Gonna be a nice year to have the #2 or 3 pick if you don't need a QB and settle for Ed Oliver or Lawrence. Looks like the Gmen, Bills, Niners and Raiders are vying for the top cellar dweller.

The Bills and Niners won't draft a QB in the first. The Raiders don't really need to but I think Gruden will try to get his guy.

And none of those other than the Giants would draft a QB that high.

Hey, Deaconblue just posted on the CFB thread that the Giants have Alex Tanney and Kyle Lauletta (and they say "Hi !"), so I'm not sure why the Giants need to draft a QB. Maybe they should wait for Kelly Bryant to come out.

He was never fleet of foot, but ELIte may be the least mobile QB in the last 10 years of the NFL these days. That's all I'm saying. It must be incredibly frustrating, even when the line breaks down, to have to cheer for a QB that has almost zero chance of not getting sacked (and often fumbling). Brady and Brees (other OWGs) are far more mobile and light years better at stepping up or moving around in the pocket to avoid sacks.

He was never fleet of foot, but ELIte may be the least mobile QB in the last 10 years of the NFL these days. That's all I'm saying. It must be incredibly frustrating, even when the line breaks down, to have to cheer for a QB that has almost zero chance of not getting sacked (and often fumbling). Brady and Brees (other OWGs) are far more mobile and light years better at stepping up or moving around in the pocket to avoid sacks.

[insert Brees spin move here]

I mean that's not wrong, but Brady is the greatest QB in NFL history and Brees may be top-5 depending on what stats you are considering (though I'll take ELIte's two rings over Brees' one all day every day). You take the bad with the good with any player, and ELIte's good far outweighs his bad.

I don't think anyone is disputing that Eli has had a largely successful NFL career... It's just that most feel that career should come to a close. Now.

And if the Giants had drafted any of the three quarterbacks taken after Baker Mayfield they would be in a lot better position to make that move than they are now with Saquon Barkley in the backfield.

is eli by far the worst QB that's won two SBs?

And if the Giants had drafted any of the three quarterbacks taken after Baker Mayfield they would be in a lot better position to make that move than they are now with Saquon Barkley in the backfield.

Meh. They could just be the 2015 Rams at this point. Just draft a good QB, a good young coach, and spend some money to max out your window and they could be the 2018 Rams in 2 or 3 years.

Seems today the Barry Sanders comparison to Saquon Barkley are becoming more prevalent. As a fan of a team, would you want the opportunity to potentially watch a generational talent at RB on middling teams or not if drafting that player possibly reduces your chances at a great QB that probably gives your team a better shot to contend?

Back