• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 NFL Season ends: Patriots win Superbowl!

Would Williams have landed in bounds even if his hand wasn't pulled? Wasn't sure about that.

And looked like he pushed off on Fuller to begin with

Yep. DPI is way too punitive to just call it willy nilly.

Last night, I didn’t see a grab. I saw a WR go up one handed for a ball that was way over his head. And I saw a DB swipe at the WR and make incidental contact with the other hand. That’s a pretty weak DPI call.

That was a make up call.

If it was I'm sure Chiefs would've taken the orig call, better to have the Chargers on the 5 than the 1

what was the defender supposed to do on the supposed helmet-to-helmet non-call?

Defender should not have been diving (leaving his feet) to hit a QB who was already down. The helmet to helmet hit occurred when Rivers head was at about knee level of the second guy who hit him. That was the helmet to helmet. It was pretty obvious on the replay.

nah, fam

the whole thing is happening so fast, defender is already committed before Rivers starts going down

Feel like it should only be a penalty for a helmet-to-helmet if the QB is upright. Pretty damn hard to avoid otherwise

Feel like it should only be a penalty for a helmet-to-helmet if the QB is upright. Pretty damn hard to avoid otherwise

Why should a defender be given a free helmet to helmet shot at a guy, particularly a QB who is already down? It shouldn't be that hard to avoid diving at a player on the ground, particularly if you are the second tackler, not the initial one.

He wasn't down until the defender had already started towards him, watching the video as I post this. If he was sitting or lying on the ground or well into a slide, sure, but that's not what happened

that's not a penalty

As of 2018, leading with the helmet on a tackle anywhere is a penalty:

The Rule: As approved by NFL clubs in March, it is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. Contact does not have to be to an opponent's head or neck area – lowering the head and initiating contact to an opponent's torso, hips, and lower body, is also a foul. Violations of the rule will be easier to see and officiate when they occur in open space – as opposed to close line play – but this rule applies anywhere on the field at any time.​
Penalties for Violation: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may also be ejected. Ejection standards:

1. Player lowers his helmet to establish a linear body posture prior to initiating and making contact with the helmet
  2. Unobstructed path to his opponent
  3. Contact clearly avoidable and player delivering the blow had other options

whatever man, the dude went for the tackle, didn't try to initiate contact with his helmet, contact was incidental

good no call

whatever man, the dude went for the tackle, didn't try to initiate contact with his helmet, contact was incidental

good no call

Rule doesn't make allowance or exception for "incidental contact." Rule was put in place to penalize defenders (and offensive players) who initiate contact with opponents using the helmet as the lead part of the contact. The second defender tackling Rivers used the crown of his helmet as the lead part of his body on the tackle. His head was down, not up. This pretty much fits the definition I posted above.

The announcers and the broadcast rules adviser (Jerry Perreria) described the play as a missed call by the refs.

Several teams will be playing to keep post season hopes alive. Defending Superbowl champion Eagles among these. Others will be playing to clinch division titles.

Nah I'm here. Just a crap game all around.

Will still win the division.

Back