• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

Will he back by Feb 11th? Coach Manning may be able to steal the win he can claim as program progress. Wake beats a .500 UNC team and storm the court like some fools.

I wonder what the odds are for Anthony to just skip the comeback and get ready for the NBA

I wonder what the odds are for Anthony to just skip the comeback and get ready for the NBA

Can understand that motivation since rushing a comeback and risking further injury can only hurt his draft stock. Also, even with Anthony, it's not like UNC is a Final 4 threat. Is it worth to comeback to fight with Pitt, WF, BC, Miami, Notre Dame and Clemson to see who can escape the bottom tier of the ACC.

OTOH, his dad made $20 million in the NBA and more after his career ended, so maybe there isn't the same concern about maximizing his immediate earning potential.

The difference between #4 and #10 (2v10 is about $20M) is well over $10M on his first contract. He owes nothing to UNC. He has nothing to prove. There's no upside in returning versus plenty of downside.

I said this about Zion and I will about Anthony - these kids want to play and build their brand. If he's healthy, he'll be out there playing. He won't shut down to get ready for the NBA.

The difference between #4 and #10 (2v10 is about $20M) is well over $10M on his first contract. He owes nothing to UNC. He has nothing to prove. There's no upside in returning versus plenty of downside.

He played nine games. If he has nothing to prove now, he never had anything to prove.

Maybe Anthony just likes playing basketball.

Always felt like that was the bottom line with Zion. He never needed to come back from injury during his freshman year at Duke to be the #1 or get life-changing endorsements, but Zion likes to play the game. So, he did.

Easy to understand.

I guess once Clemson fires Brownell after this season, we will have to accept that Clemson has higher expectations for its basketball program than WF. Brownell's record against WF: 11-1. Even though, they don't play Clemson every year, Coastal Carolina has more wins over Brownell at Clemson than WF. Nauseating...

The problem is this is Brownell's worst team since he's been there. They've lost all of their games so far against decent opponents.

True, but UNC without Anthony may be no better. They looked pitiful against Wofford, and were playing at home. This may well be Roy's most offensively-challenged team in his time as UNC's head coach. Without Anthony they don't have a single reliable outside shooter. Maybe they'll improve before the Clemson game, but if they don't they'll definitely be ripe for the epic loss. Or so I hope.

Last edited:
I guess once Clemson fires Brownell after this season, we will have to accept that Clemson has higher expectations for its basketball program than WF. Brownell's record against WF: 11-1. Even though, they don't play Clemson every year, Coastal Carolina has more wins over Brownell at Clemson than WF. Nauseating...

If anything really clarifies the failure of Wellman's "vision" for the basketball program, then this is it.

The game we threw away against Clemson several years ago, seems like it was around New Year’s, was when I officially became #ManningOut. Was clear he didn’t have “it” and never would. And yet he’s still here.

Last 12 games:

Basketball - Wake vs. Clemson: 1-11
Football - Wake vs. Clemson: 1-11

Is Brownell getting fired after this season? His record there over the last decade or so is as good as anyone they've had except maybe Barnes. And Barnes left while the getting was good - with a bunch of seniors and a barren cupboard. The thing I've liked about Brownell is his teams are usually pretty strong defensively. But yes, the thought is nauseating.

Highland, I agree. All I'm saying is this is probably Brownell's weakest team, and it would figure that he would have his worst team the 1 year when they could win in Chapel Hill.

So is Anthony really in consideration for the #1 pick in the draft? Am I the only person who thinks Coby White is better? To me, White is a better shooter and was not the turnover machine that Anthony can be. I've only seen Carolina 3 times, so I admit it's a small sample size, but the Michigan loss was the only 1 I saw where he's looked impressive. And if he is the #1 pick, it says something about this freshman class contrasted to the quality of last year's freshman class, and is part of the reason the overall quality of college hoops is down from where it was last year.

I'd love to have Brownell coaching at Wake next year, but I don't see any path that leads to Manning not being here next season unfortunately.

I'd love to have Brownell coaching at Wake next year, but I don't see any path that leads to Manning not being here next season unfortunately.

Brownell is a solid coach, but it's not like he has recruited at a high level. In theory I'd like to aim higher than a Brownell, but yeah, I don't see Manning being fired, and just as bad, I don't have faith that we can get a high level coach after 2 historically awful hires in a row. My only solace is my UVA tix.

Back