• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

James Wiseman's season is over. He signed with agent and will not play again for Memphis. See you at the NBA draft....

I think it's pretty unavoidable at this point that we're going to have a more robust G-League and high school players will get drafted and go there immediately.

I said "no offense meant".

It's just funny that we get more detailed breakdowns of UVA than we do about Wake Forest (KP threads excluded).

Not sure if that speaks more to our posters or the state of our program... Probably both.

No offense meant, but one of my favorite random things on the boards these days is when cville takes any mention of UVA as an invitation to do a deep dive on how the team is playing.

I mean, I don't feel like anyone here puts that kind of effort into breaking down Wake Forest hoops.

I said "no offense meant".

It's just funny that we get more detailed breakdowns of UVA than we do about Wake Forest (KP threads excluded).

Not sure if that speaks more to our posters or the state of our program... Probably both.

I took no offense and enjoy your observations, especially when it comes to sports betting. I've been spoiled by watching some pretty incredible college hoops the last several years. And especially last year when we had several good to great teams in the ACC. The UVA/Duke tilts in particular were some of the best college games over the last 20 years. And now UVA is depleted and is occasionally playing like crap against crap teams. So I've nitpicked about Tony apparently thinking Clark can do what Jerome used to do and playing Stattman, who I can't stand, over Woldetensae and was venting. It's the college hoops thread, not the Wake thread, and I realize that some folks like Pilch will get into some back and forth with me and there are some folks who get irritated when I bring up UVA hoops. Wake hoops frankly is not worth discussing. That we hired and then kept the worst coach in human history soured me a whole lot. And I admit that I was 1 of the folks who was optimistic about Manning at first. But to give him that extension after watching us continue to be terrible on the defensive end was the height of idiocy. I see no hope in sight for our hoops future, so my hoops watching solution has been to follow the VA schools, especially UVA because I live here and have tix. Sorry to be so negative, but that's how I feel.

Id rather talk about UVA basketball too. They’re engaging to watch compared to whatever it is Wake brings out on a nightly basis.

So I caught the 2nd half of the Md/SH game during dinner last night. That game had everything down the stretch - missed FTs, TOs and awful shot selection. SH was so polite in attempting to hand the game to Md, but Md would have none of it. That's the 3rd or 4th time I've caught a Md game. They've been ranked in the top 10 all year, and they're thoroughly unimpressive. This is the worst year ever in college hoops. Maybe it'll get better come conference play. Sorry to rant again.

Here's a random thought for the day. The draft is going to suck compared to last year, however Wiseman is gonna go in the 1st couple of picks. The Warriors have the worst record. How well would he fit with Green, Curry and Thompson? Golden State could be pulling the same thing with Thompson and Curry out that San Antonio did with Robinson out that 1 year.

The lack of elite teams should make for a hell of an NCAA Tournament this year.

Could also lead to a deep run for a mid-major or two, launching coaches into the conversation for bigger jobs (regardless of whether or not they're actually strong candidates).

This is how down the ACC is:

According to nbadraft.net (there are other sites to use that may be different), the current first round projection there are only 4 ACC players listed as projected 1st round picks, and the highest rated, Cole Anthony isn't playing:

#5 Cole Anthony
#7 Vernon Carey
#19 Steven Enoch
#25 Jordan Nwora

Last year, the ACC had 10 first round picks and 7 lottery picks.

This is how down the ACC is:

According to nbadraft.net (there are other sites to use that may be different), the current first round projection there are only 4 ACC players listed as projected 1st round picks, and the highest rated, Cole Anthony isn't playing:

#5 Cole Anthony
#7 Vernon Carey
#19 Steven Enoch
#25 Jordan Nwora

Last year, the ACC had 10 first round picks and 7 lottery picks.

Will Anthony be like Kyrie and sit out until things really matter? With Carolina, that point looks like it will come soon.

Anthony's father should tell him not to play. There is nothing to be gained by playing and millions potentially to be lost by playing.

And another #1 goes down. Nova turns it over to give Kansas a chance to win at the end, but they missed. Maybe we'll have a elite team or 2 by the end of the year?

Yesterday, Cuse beat North Florida 82-70.

In that game, North Florida took 46 three point shots, and NINE shots from 2. 9 shots from inside the arc in the entire game. Got to be the record for fewest two point attempts in a game in the shot clock era.

SC beat UVa. in Charlottesville by 11 70-59 and UVa had 19 turnovers in the loss

It’s amazing all the #1s that have been beat so far.
Is this parity or something else?

It’s amazing all the #1s that have been beat so far.
Is this parity or something else?

Something else...suckitude.

Before the season, I think I said no team deserved to be under 12-1 or 15-1 to win it all. That may be too low.

Something else...suckitude.

Before the season, I think I said no team deserved to be under 12-1 or 15-1 to win it all. That may be too low.

Seems like the best teams aren't that much better than the teams just behind them. So there will be a lot of changes at the top. There don't seem to be the elite teams that we saw the last few years.

SC beat UVa. in Charlottesville by 11 70-59 and UVa had 19 turnovers in the loss

SC's center looks like he used to be an eastern European prison guard. Fits right in with Martin. Bolden can play. Not sure why their record isn't better. Diakite and Key are really UVA's only ACC caliber talents at this point. Clark is a TO machine and occasional defensive liability who should only be a 10-15 minute guy. Stattman and Woldetensae are big defensive liabilities who also need to practice on boxing out. SC shot well over 50%.

SC's center looks like he used to be an eastern European prison guard. Fits right in with Martin. Bolden can play. Not sure why their record isn't better. Diakite and Key are really UVA's only ACC caliber talents at this point. Clark is a TO machine and occasional defensive liability who should only be a 10-15 minute guy. Stattman and Woldetensae are big defensive liabilities who also need to practice on boxing out. SC shot well over 50%.

When I saw that the Hoos were down 9 at the half I declared the game over and turned the radio back to something else. The lead had been cut to 5 when I next checked but even that wasn't enough to convince me to keep listening. The final margin was a little surprising.

Back