• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019-20 College Basketball Thread

Bilas says at least one ACC team was not going to show up to play later today which forced the ACC's hand

Does this make any sense at all. Crazy panic.

Makes little sense. Teams are already there. Fans are there and have traveled. Not sure what exposures they think they are preventing. IMHO, they should go on with the tournament and institute a no hassle refund policy if individuals choose not to attend.

Guess Ga Tech was clairvoyant to drop their appeal and take their ACC tourney ban this year.

Does this make any sense at all. Crazy panic.
I do think Coronavirus is a quite real thing to be concerned about.
But, yes, this is a bit of baby going with the bathwater.
The games still could play without fans.

Leonard Hamilton is a rock star in the way he is handling this interview and this situation

I get the decision to cancel the games because of the current situation, but if the concern is to protect the athletes, there is risk if you play or if you don't play. Yes, a player could be infected by another player, arena worker, hotel employee, but once the games are canceled, these players are going back into general society, they aren't going to be sequestered with their little group of teammates and coaches. With that said, if the ACC went forward with the tournament or the NCAA went forward with that tournament, the institution would be crucified if a player contracted during the tournament. If it happens when they are home, it's the player's problem, not the school, not the ACC, and not the NCAA.

That's why colleges, en masse, are keeping their students from returning from Spring Break. The campus was a safe little bubble when everyone was in school and stayed in their little environment, but once the students spread out to across the country, it becomes a given that someone going to get exposed and then bring it back to campus. So, all games are or will be canceled, and the players are no longer going to be essentially forced to take all reasonable precautions to keep their social distance and take reasonable steps to avoid exposing themselves. But when/if a player contracts away from campus or not related to their participation for the school, the fingers can't be pointed at the conference or the NCAA for continuing to play the games, even if playing the games in a contained environment actually reduced the chances of exposure.

Thing is, these are 18-22 year old kids, you REALLY think they are going to just sit at home for a couple of weeks because somebody might get a virus? Not very likely

I get the extended spring break idea. Bringing thousands of students from all over the world back to a close quarters environment would be like a giant Corona Petri dish. I'm even fine with not having crowds show up to tournament games. It seems a little overboard to not have the games at all. But that's just my opinion. Playing the games in empty arenas seemed like a decent balance of safety concerns and reasonableness.

Duke suspended all athletics, including basketball. Of course, like Coach K's suspension of Grayson Allen, it could last for just a few days.

Duke suspended all athletics, including basketball. Of course, like Coach K's suspension of Grayson Allen, it could last for just a few days.

Kansas is out too.

A few more teams drop out, and we may be on the bubble!

Kansas is out too.

A few more teams drop out, and we may be on the bubble!

A two-edged sword for some teams with the conferences shutting down. The good news - no more upsets bursting bubbles. The bad news - some teams such as NCSU could have used at least one more win.

Thing is, these are 18-22 year old kids, you REALLY think they are going to just sit at home for a couple of weeks because somebody might get a virus? Not very likely

This is the real point.

Stupid panic. Fine to prevent large gatherings in close quarters. Smart to avoid personal contact.

People are not going to stay home and cower so no need to stop normal interactions with people.

Tourney is officially over. I almost think that's just as well because no school really deserves to win a natty in the men's game. Usually, there are at least a handful of teams who stand out above all others, but this year there was just a bunch of mediocrity.

Tourney is officially over. I almost think that's just as well because no school really deserves to win a natty in the men's game. Usually, there are at least a handful of teams who stand out above all others, but this year there was just a bunch of mediocrity.
I am kinda sad that schools like SD State and Dayton won't even have a chance to see what they can do. While I agree that there were no dominant teams, it'd have been fun to see a few of the schools that were having historical seasons for their programs try to win the title.

Back