• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

No one cares what RJ is thinking as he lives in his own fictional world. A fine place for him, except he claims others don't honor the facts.

UCLA "selling out the Rose Bowl" couldn't be farther from the truth.

The Rose Bowl, where UCLA plays its home games, has a capacity of 92,542, but has hosted more for Super Bowls (103K) and Rose Bowl/BCS playoff games (94K).

UCLA averaged 51,000 for its 7 home games, including 38,391 to close the season. Even under his warped version of "facts" 55% of capacity is not "selling out the Rose Bowl"; it's leaving the Rose Bowl half vacant.

Further, looking at UCLA's past schedules it appears that UCLA has not "sold out" a game at the Rose Bowl for at least the last 10 years. That is more than 60 home games. Is that "selling out" the Rose Bowl?

Here is a quote from UCLA assistant AD from this past Fall:

“It is true that attendance for UCLA football at the Rose Bowl has been declining, a trend not unique to UCLA, as many other colleges are witnessing a similar decline,” Josh Rebholz, UCLA’s senior associate athletic director, said Saturday.

UCLA home attendance in football has been so poor that it has been the subject of media coverage:https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-football-20181027-story.html
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/10/29/Colleges/UCLA.aspx

Also, Pauley Pavilion seats 12,829. They played 19 home games this past year. They sold out one - Notre Dame. They had less 10,000 attend 16 of their 19 home games...

OMG only 51,000...and under 10,000...still nice crowds, but I got the numbers wrong. Unlike Pilch, when I do I admit it not change the subject and refuse to admit it.

It may not officially be open yet, but the Tech board mostly appears to be of the belief that Buzz is headed to College Station. Is Wojo really in danger of getting fired next year? Marquette finished 2nd to Nova in the BE this past year. If he's not in danger in Milwaukee and he were to opt to go to VT, I think it would say a lot about the fall of the BE as a power conference. Outside of Nova, the BE has had a lot of mediocrity the last few years.

And Xavier.

OMG only 51,000...and under 10,000...still nice crowds, but I got the numbers wrong. Unlike Pilch, when I do I admit it not change the subject and refuse to admit it.

Go ahead and say it...you just made shit up and hoped no one would call you out on it, like most everything else you post. You just made the mistake of making something up that could actually be fact checked this time.

No one cares what RJ is thinking as he lives in his own fictional world. A fine place for him, except he claims others don't honor the facts.

UCLA "selling out the Rose Bowl" couldn't be farther from the truth.

The Rose Bowl, where UCLA plays its home games, has a capacity of 92,542, but has hosted more for Super Bowls (103K) and Rose Bowl/BCS playoff games (94K).

UCLA averaged 51,000 for its 7 home games, including 38,391 to close the season. Even under his warped version of "facts" 55% of capacity is not "selling out the Rose Bowl"; it's leaving the Rose Bowl half vacant.

Further, looking at UCLA's past schedules it appears that UCLA has not "sold out" a game at the Rose Bowl for at least the last 10 years. That is more than 60 home games. Is that "selling out" the Rose Bowl?

Here is a quote from UCLA assistant AD from this past Fall:

“It is true that attendance for UCLA football at the Rose Bowl has been declining, a trend not unique to UCLA, as many other colleges are witnessing a similar decline,” Josh Rebholz, UCLA’s senior associate athletic director, said Saturday.

UCLA home attendance in football has been so poor that it has been the subject of media coverage:https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-football-20181027-story.html
https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2018/10/29/Colleges/UCLA.aspx

Also, Pauley Pavilion seats 12,829. They played 19 home games this past year. They sold out one - Notre Dame. They had less 10,000 attend 16 of their 19 home games...

Also, I'm not sure where I heard it but UCLA supposedly doesn't spend a ton of money on travel, facilities, etc.; I recall hearing that their men's basketball team flies commercial to multiple conference road games. (As an aside, I have no clue how common it is to fly commercial to away games.)

51,000 is 45,000 short of selling out the Rose Bowl you fucking moron.

Also, I'm not sure where I heard it but UCLA supposedly doesn't spend a ton of money on travel, facilities, etc.; I recall hearing that their men's basketball team flies commercial to multiple conference road games. (As an aside, I have no clue how common it is to fly commercial to away games.)

The article about them wanting to hire Calipari from ESPN said they flew commercial exclusively up until a few years ago and still use a combination of commercial and charter which absolutely shocked me. They have to be the only major program doing that.

And Xavier.

True, but I'm thinking they're reverting to their pre-Mack hoops level since Mack left for Louisville. Mack was their high water mark. I look at the BE now and see only Nova as a usual top-25 program and regular NCAA invitee.

Speaking of bad hoops conferences and to jump on all these UCLA posts, WTF has happened to the PAC-12? The only 2 programs west of the Rockies that are worth anything these days are Gonzaga and Nevada.

It may not officially be open yet, but the Tech board mostly appears to be of the belief that Buzz is headed to College Station. Is Wojo really in danger of getting fired next year? Marquette finished 2nd to Nova in the BE this past year. If he's not in danger in Milwaukee and he were to opt to go to VT, I think it would say a lot about the fall of the BE as a power conference. Outside of Nova, the BE has had a lot of mediocrity the last few years.

Wojo’s record is significantly worse than the two coaches before him. There was definitely a lot of frustration with him after the first round blowout. Maybe it’s a bit strong to say he’s on the hot seat given that the team seems to be largely returning but another flameout would be very bad for him.

Still don’t get Buzz leaving VT. The TAMU offer, as reported anyway, isn’t even that impressive.

Arkansas rumored to be focusing on Eric Musselman. BTW, this past season, Nevada had an eight man rotation. Six were seniors. Musselman knows he has to make his move now because they will be just another mid major program next year.

Wojo’s record is significantly worse than the two coaches before him. There was definitely a lot of frustration with him after the first round blowout. Maybe it’s a bit strong to say he’s on the hot seat given that the team seems to be largely returning but another flameout would be very bad for him.

Still don’t get Buzz leaving VT. The TAMU offer, as reported anyway, isn’t even that impressive.

He grew up in TX and went to T A&M.

lol

the whole point of your post was about the numbers

lol

the whole point of your post was about the numbers

And I admitted I made a mistake...Even when I say I'm wrong you don't accept it...

But I have noticed you don't hold Pilch to the same criteria.

What a shock!!

To be accurate, Buzz went to college at Oklahoma City University. He has a grad degree from Texas A&M-Kingsville - part of the Texas A&M University system, but a different school than the Texas A&M that is reportedly offering him (Texas A&M is in College Station - the flagship school of the A&M University system). A&M Kingsville has its own athletic teams - D2 Javelinas. Saying Buzz went to A&M is like saying someone who got a grad degree from UNC-Pembroke went to UNC (Chapel Hill) - incorrect. Buzz was an assistant at Texas A&M -- the school reportedly offering him, he did not attend school at the A&M that is offering him.

RJ just can't get his facts straight.

He did not go to Texas A&M, he coached there for two seasons though.

He did grow up in Texas but not particularly close to College Station.

Here's what is on Google:

Buzz Williams
American basketball coach
DescriptionBrent Langdon "Buzz" Williams is an American basketball coach. He is the head coach of the Virginia Tech Hokies men's basketball team. Wikipedia
Born: September 1, 1972 (age 46 years), Greenville, TX
Spouse: Corey Norman (m. 2000)
Team coached: Virginia Tech Hokies men's basketball (Head coach, since 2014)
Record: 98–68
Education: Texas A&M University - Kingsville, Oklahoma City University

He got his masters there...

Here's what is on Google:

Buzz Williams
American basketball coach
DescriptionBrent Langdon "Buzz" Williams is an American basketball coach. He is the head coach of the Virginia Tech Hokies men's basketball team. Wikipedia
Born: September 1, 1972 (age 46 years), Greenville, TX
Spouse: Corey Norman (m. 2000)
Team coached: Virginia Tech Hokies men's basketball (Head coach, since 2014)
Record: 98–68
Education: Texas A&M University - Kingsville, Oklahoma City University

He got his masters there...

Read Pilchard’s post. You are wrong again.

To be accurate, Buzz went to college at Oklahoma City University. He has a grad degree from Texas A&M-Kingsville - part of the Texas A&M University system, but a different school than the Texas A&M that is reportedly offering him (Texas A&M is in College Station - the flagship school of the A&M University system). A&M Kingsville has its own athletic teams - D2 Javelinas. Saying Buzz went to A&M is like saying someone who got a grad degree from UNC-Pembroke went to UNC (Chapel Hill) - incorrect. Buzz was an assistant at Texas A&M -- the school reportedly offering him, he did not attend school at the A&M that is offering him.

RJ just can't get his facts straight.

throw-the-damn-towel-gif-4.gif

True, but I'm thinking they're reverting to their pre-Mack hoops level since Mack left for Louisville. Mack was their high water mark. I look at the BE now and see only Nova as a usual top-25 program and regular NCAA invitee.

Speaking of bad hoops conferences and to jump on all these UCLA posts, WTF has happened to the PAC-12? The only 2 programs west of the Rockies that are worth anything these days are Gonzaga and Nevada.

I know the conferences are different, but Mack had a lower winning percentage at X than anyone since Staak.

Last edited:
Back