• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Strange. I understood: (a) that Marquette had a star on their hands; and (b) now that he was at Marquette, Wojo would only leave for the Duke job. This understanding was based upon information from one of the few winners we have that post on this board.

I'd hate to think that particular poster was wrong.

Or a loser.....

Dixon did a good job keeping Pitt relevant (and Pitt has been Wake level awful since), and he's done a nice job building TCU into a decent team. I thought he was a TCU guy, so am somewhat surprised he'd go to UCLA given their recent lack of success.

Agree.

I think Dixon is a good coach. Maybe not the home run name UCLA and/or its fans wanted, but UCLA hasn't been relevant nationally in years. I can see Dixon doing good things there.

Smart move. Probably figures he can always return to TCU but might regret passing up a chance at a (former) blue blood.

was not aware that Dixon's sister, who was the first coach to take Army to the NCAAT, collapsed and died at age 28 several years ago. Yikes

The NY Post is rumoring interest on the part of Willard in Tech's open coaching position. I hadn't realized Seton Hall has been to 4 straight dances, probably because they've been knocked out early each year. But on the face of it, he'd be a pretty good get for Tech because that would technically be a lateral move from another power conference, though I have to think anyone would rather be in the ACC than the diminishing BE these days.

So I looked up Jamie Dixon's wiki page to see about all of this acting talk. Dude has been a head coach 16 seasons (13 Pitt and 3 TCU) and the least amount of wins he ever had in a season was 19.

Dixon is a good coach

he had some fun teams at Pitt back when the Big East was the best basketball conference

The NY Post is rumoring interest on the part of Willard in Tech's open coaching position. I hadn't realized Seton Hall has been to 4 straight dances, probably because they've been knocked out early each year. But on the face of it, he'd be a pretty good get for Tech because that would technically be a lateral move from another power conference, though I have to think anyone would rather be in the ACC than the diminishing BE these days.

A Willard move to VT would just further confirm how the Big East is a 2nd tier conference (with the notable exception of Nova). If VT poaches coaches from Marquette and Seton Hall both with rich basketball traditions and basketball first schools to go to a school (VT) with no basketball tradition (this year's Sweet 16 run was the 2nd in school history and the first since the 60s) where basketball is a distant second to football, just affirms that all of the money and all of the power in college sports are held by the schools in the football Power V conferences.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call 7 NCAA appearances in the past 25 years a "rich basketball tradition" for Seton Hall. They missed the post season 11 times.

But Xavier's 19 NCAA trips in 25 years isn't a "rich basketball" tradition. Oh yeah, they had 3 Elite 8s and 4 more Sweet 16s. I wonder how many schools have done this over the same period.

I guess Bulter's 15 NCAA appearances in the past 25 years doesn't count either. They had 5 Sweet 16s and two Final Fours. That's not a tradition of basketball...

Of course, Georgetown has no tradition either.

Marquette has only made the NCAA tournament 14 of the past 25 seasons.

Even St. John's and Providence have had basketball success.

Yep, lot's of "second tier" conferences are this deep in historic programs.

Pilch, you are wrong again but will come up with a lame excuse to get around it.

Willard has a good record but as a Pitino protégé he may be subject to enhanced scrutiny.

I wouldn't call 7 NCAA appearances in the past 25 years a "rich basketball tradition" for Seton Hall. They missed the post season 11 times.

But Xavier's 19 NCAA trips in 25 years isn't a "rich basketball" tradition. Oh yeah, they had 3 Elite 8s and 4 more Sweet 16s. I wonder how many schools have done this over the same period.

I guess Bulter's 15 NCAA appearances in the past 25 years doesn't count either. They had 5 Sweet 16s and two Final Fours. That's not a tradition of basketball...

Of course, Georgetown has no tradition either.

Marquette has only made the NCAA tournament 14 of the past 25 seasons.

Even St. John's and Providence have had basketball success.

Yep, lot's of "second tier" conferences are this deep in historic programs.

Pilch, you are wrong again but will come up with a lame excuse to get around it.

Exactly the point. The Big East does have historic basketball first programs. That's why a 2nd Big East coach to leave that conference for VT would show how basketball is changing.

The harder you try; the worse it gets for you....

Pilchard vs rjkarl

not the feud we want

but definitely the feud we deserve

Exactly the point. The Big East does have historic basketball first programs. That's why a 2nd Big East coach to leave that conference for VT would show how basketball is changing.

The harder you try; the worse it gets for you....

It shows NOTHING. Buzz HATED the Marquette AD and called VT knowing they were about to fire their coach. His move shows NOTHING like you said.

Seton Hall is not a great job. It's among the weakest in the BE . VT is a better job. It's a natural move. This shows nothing like you say.

In no way do either of these moves show anything like you are asserting. The BE is the sixth power conference regardless of your nonsensical posts.

I’d argue that if Wojo or Willard goes to VPI making four coaches to other conferences in the last five years from the Big East that it’s different than one guy going to the SEC.

I also think the Big East as a conference is pretty good overall. Definitely better than the Pac 12. This is the first year since 2014 that the big east hasn’t been a top 3 conference in KenPom.

The argument here is Pilch said the Big East is a second tier conference. not a power conference.

The argument here is Pilch said the Big East is a second tier conference. not a power conference.

Your reading comprehension is abysmal.

The point, as I took it, is that a league that has been known as a basketball league for decades has a very shaky future going forward because of the lack of money flowing into the conference relative to the ACC/SEC/B1G/BIG12.

You can see this with the Pac12 (in hoops and football) and you are starting to see it with the Big East.

It’s a statement about the future, not a slam on a lack of historical significance.

But I think you’re more concerned with playing “gotcha” with other posters than actually having any kind of nuanced debate.

Back