• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I’m surprised Wojo would lateral to VT. If so, even more harm to us by not opening our job.

It’s a good outcome for the rest of the ACC if Wojo goes to VT. Basically stalls any momentum Buzz had built.

I’m surprised Wojo would lateral to VT. If so, even more harm to us by not opening our job.

Strange. I understood: (a) that Marquette had a star on their hands; and (b) now that he was at Marquette, Wojo would only leave for the Duke job. This understanding was based upon information from one of the few winners we have that post on this board.

I'd hate to think that particular poster was wrong.

Go fuck yourself!!!

I guess I have get down on my knees and beg your forgiveness and even then you'd act like this.

I said I was wrong multiple times on this thread.

Nope. On the UCLA stuff, you were off by several orders of magnitude, completely undermining your point. But you said it was just some numbers. It wasn't just some numbers, your entire point was wrong. And then you tried to wrap Pilchard in it. You followed that up by being wrong about Buzz Williams which you never "admitted to". You say things in a nasty, adversarial way, and that's why people react the way they do to you. There is no conspiracy, people just don't like you because of the way you act.

BTW, I was wrong about Buzz Williams. I still don't really get it. TAMU isn't paying him more than VT could; TAMU doesn't have better facilities; TAMU doesn't have better fan support, and TAMU doesn't have some long track record of success. I guess the ties of being in Texas are stronger than I realized.

As for VT, won't it be Cronin? I saw somewhere that he was offered an extension with no pay increase because they don't have the resources now that they are in the AAC instead of Big East. And, of course, the AD has well established ties to Cronin (that's how he got Buzz Williams).

I've never been to College Station, but Blacksburg really isn't that nice of a place.

I've never been to College Station, but Blacksburg really isn't that nice of a place.

I have spent much more time in College Station than in Blacksburg but I wouldn't imagine that either one is a big lifestyle upgrade of the other. College Station is pretty much a big suburb without the actual city. Just lots of sprawl, chains, etc. No real downtown core other than the university itself.

Last edited:

There's a Cracker Barrel with a really friendly staff that makes for a good lunch stop on the way home from DC, so it's got that going for it.

As for VT, won't it be Cronin? I saw somewhere that he was offered an extension with no pay increase because they don't have the resources now that they are in the AAC instead of Big East. And, of course, the AD has well established ties to Cronin (that's how he got Buzz Williams).

I would have thought Cronin over Willard or Wojo, but then again, I hate Wojo, and VT hiring him would give me conflicted feelings. I hope Whit Babcock takes into account my conflicted feelings. But I have faith that Babcock will get a qualified candidate. He's been hitting home runs so far - he's the anti-Wellman. And Buzz put VT on the hoops map, so once you're there, it should be easier to maintain.

FWIW, I really like Blacksburg. It's a nice and sleepy college town - way prettier than College Station, but to each his own. Lurker, while I also don't necessarily get Buzz making a lateral move, the only thing that makes sense to me is he's from there and would like to spend the rest of his career where he's from. But it's not like A&M has a great hoops history.

Here is a link to a Roanoke Times Article on VT potential candidates: https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/sports/mensbasketball/analysis-possible-candidates-for-virginia-tech-coaching-job/article_3a11aad4-45b5-5f27-bdb2-b38044ade426.html

Mick Cronin is the first name, and then the article lists essentially every candidate named on this Board over the last couple of months: Wojo, Shaka, Matta, Ryan Odom, Wes Miller, Mike Rhoads, Russell Turner, Musselman.

Whit Babcock doesn't mess around. The Hokies will have a new coach soon. He will be working with a limited roster. VT had a 7 man rotation, and they lose 3 seniors (Robinson, Outlaw and Hill) and Nickeil Alexander-Walker is projected to declare for the NBA draft. VT will return Blackshear (assuming he doesn't declare) and not much else.

Nope. On the UCLA stuff, you were off by several orders of magnitude, completely undermining your point. But you said it was just some numbers. It wasn't just some numbers, your entire point was wrong. And then you tried to wrap Pilchard in it. You followed that up by being wrong about Buzz Williams which you never "admitted to". You say things in a nasty, adversarial way, and that's why people react the way they do to you. There is no conspiracy, people just don't like you because of the way you act.

BTW, I was wrong about Buzz Williams. I still don't really get it. TAMU isn't paying him more than VT could; TAMU doesn't have better facilities; TAMU doesn't have better fan support, and TAMU doesn't have some long track record of success. I guess the ties of being in Texas are stronger than I realized.

You are total hypocrite and you just showed it while proving my point. If I'm wrong and admit this, it's totally irrelevant to you. I must genuflect and beg your forgiveness in your time and style or you will come up with an excuse not to accept my admission.

While at the same time, you give others passes when they are wrong and don't admit. You never demand the same of them. The fact you refuse to see your duplicity is on you.

I fully understand there's nothing I can ever do or say that would make any difference to you. Next will be your excuses that blame me for your actions.

Here is a link to a Roanoke Times Article on VT potential candidates: https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/sports/mensbasketball/analysis-possible-candidates-for-virginia-tech-coaching-job/article_3a11aad4-45b5-5f27-bdb2-b38044ade426.html

Mick Cronin is the first name, and then the article lists essentially every candidate named on this Board over the last couple of months: Wojo, Shaka, Matta, Ryan Odom, Wes Miller, Mike Rhoads, Russell Turner, Musselman.

Whit Babcock doesn't mess around. The Hokies will have a new coach soon. He will be working with a limited roster. VT had a 7 man rotation, and they lose 3 seniors (Robinson, Outlaw and Hill) and Nickeil Alexander-Walker is projected to declare for the NBA draft. VT will return Blackshear (assuming he doesn't declare) and not much else.

That list isn't exhausting enough. Cronin would be a coup, given that Cincy has a way better hoops history, but I think that, with recent conference alignments, conference is starting to matter over hoops history, especially when it comes to money. Of the names, McKay is the least likely - nice guy, but that's a leap too large. I think he could well finish his career at Liberty (like Tony, he's also a religious guy). But I agree with you - in Babcock I trust. Weaver only appeared to care about football. Babcock has been committed to men's hoops and their non-revenue sports like Weaver never was.

Back