• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Buzz has no ties whatsoever to VT. He also understands there is a ceiling to his recruiting for VT. TX A&M has more money and he has a better chance at consistent results there.

Buzz has no ties whatsoever to VT. He also understands there is a ceiling to his recruiting for VT. TX A&M has more money and he has a better chance at consistent results there.

I'd say that 5 years there as coach would equate to "ties to VT"; one more year than most of us spent at MSD.

He has 2 4*s and 2 3*s committed to VT for next year. He has recruited much better there than any of VT's prior coaches, landing a fair number of 4*s. A&M doesn't exactly have a sterling hoops history - more like a couple of good years here and there. As a SEC program, they're behind Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, LSU and maybe Arkansas.

If VPI doesn't get Wojo I wouldn't be surprised if they interviewed Matta. Still think they get Mckay from Liberty at the end of the day.

May even interview Miller or Odom.

What is this magical ceiling on recruiting at VT? VT can recruit with most anyone given the right coach and results, which they've had for the past 5 seasons.

Class rankings & Kenpom under Buzz:
2014: 24
2015: 23, 175
2016: 88, 63
2017: 18, 50
2018: 54, 33
2019: 25, 12

During the same time at A&M:
2014: 51
2015: 4, 54
2016: 19, 18
2017: 29, 64
2018: 121, 29
2019: 120, 92

There's nothing that indicates to me that Virginia Tech is way behind A&M in recruiting or potential results. I suspect VT would be willing to spend plenty on their program if it stays on the path that Buzz has established.

There's a Cracker Barrel with a really friendly staff that makes for a good lunch stop on the way home from DC, so it's got that going for it.

And it’s near the big star above Roanoke and lots of silos.

I haven't seen a whole lot of schools confirm that their coaches will be back next year so I guess things aregoing to get crazy pretty soon. No confirmation on K, Roy, Bennett, Capel, Hamilton, etc.

It'll be interesting to see who lands at VPI. Although Wake and VPI were more similar in 2014, whoever they hire may be an indicator as to who we could have gotten in 2019.

It was criminal we didn't make a serious push to get the good Buzz back in 2014, but with Wellman, I am not surprised.

UCLA hiring Dixon seems incredibly underwhelming.

Dixon did a good job keeping Pitt relevant (and Pitt has been Wake level awful since), and he's done a nice job building TCU into a decent team. I thought he was a TCU guy, so am somewhat surprised he'd go to UCLA given their recent lack of success. Musselman seemed like the logical guy for UCLA. Maybe UCLA is having a hard time recruiting because parents don't want to have to listen to Walton do color for their games.

Dixon was born in Hollywood, so maybe he has a good bit of family still there.

Maybe Howland kept telling him how sweet it was, or his goal is just to one-up his former boss whenever he can

Back