• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Quite a golden parachute for Young. If this is who VT could get, things don't look good for us next offseason.

My bad , misread - Miller a candidate to Tennessee if Barnes takes UCLA

Quite a golden parachute for Young. If this is who VT could get, things don't look good for us next offseason.
You mention this one position but not any of the other schools who hired a good coach that would seemingly indicate the exact opposite (assuming that WF is willing to spend the proper money for a good coach).

Wes Miller being mentioned as possible candidate for UCLA - not joking

Wouldn't that be some shit. He goes out there and has a 30 year career, is revered as the next Wooden and are stuck with low level coaches the rest of all of our lives. DR talks eternal shit and we are all officially losers.

VT’s new coach helps reset the barometer on the caliber of coach Wake fans can reasonably expect Wake to hire next.

Although the fans did a good job of identifying good up and coming coaches, those coaches were too far out of reach for Wake. Wake doesn’t have any significant recent history (past 20 years) that the current college basketball community or prospective recruits care about.

Turning around Wake from being an annual bottom dweller of the ACC may be too difficult of a challenge to overcome in attracting a really good coach. The basketball program is complete garbage without any foundation. When a new Coach takes over it will be another attempt at a complete rebuild.

Results over the past 4 years aside, Wake is a better job than VT.

That said, I'm worried about what the VT hire says with respect to our options next year, not because of who they hired but because of how much they paid him. $2.4M is a lot for a coach with zero experience above the Southern Conference level. I have no doubt that we could get a similar caliber coach (depending on who's available etc), but it makes me think that we won't be able to pay-up for a higher caliber coach.

Then again, I would have rather had Oats or Musselman, and they're making the same money. I would also have rather had Otzelberger, and he's making significantly less.

As far as missing out on this year's carousel, obviously we will see what happens with UCLA and any resultant dominos, but Oats is the only one that "hurts". Others in our likely "top-tier" are still in place (Mike Rhoades, Thad Matta, Shaka Smart), and it isn't so bad to get more data on Craig Smith, Casey Alexander, Wes Miller, John Brannen, Bob Richey, Earl Grant, etc. That said, I suspect that Shaka will do well enough next year that we will have missed our window - I believe he has most of his team returning plus a strong incoming class. If the middle of the Big 12 weakens a bit then they could be in for a big jump.

You mention this one position but not any of the other schools who hired a good coach that would seemingly indicate the exact opposite (assuming that WF is willing to spend the proper money for a good coach).

Like who? Alabama? Arkansas? Vanderbilt? I would have been pleased with either Oats or Musselman as a Manning replacement, but do not think we could have gotten either. VT and Vanderbilt are the two most comparable jobs that were open this offseason and both made underwhelming hires.

$2.4 million is also a hell of a lot of money if you're paying an 8 figure buyout because you're an idiot.

Like who? Alabama? Arkansas? Vanderbilt? I would have been pleased with either Oats or Musselman as a Manning replacement, but do not think we could have gotten either. VT and Vanderbilt are the two most comparable jobs that were open this offseason and both made underwhelming hires.

I think Wake vs Alabama and Arkansas is close enough to be an "eye of the beholder" decision.

Wofford is private but living in the town where it is located, I can tell you Mike Young just got about 15 times what he was making at Wofford. He really cashed in and good for him. He can also flat out coach. Whether he can recruit at this level will be the question.

I'm completely mystified as to how any rational person can think VT's basketball coaching choices somehow portend the future for Wake Forest.

Wofford is private but living in the town where it is located, I can tell you Mike Young just got about 15 times what he was making at Wofford. He really cashed in and good for him. He can also flat out coach. Whether he can recruit at this level will be the question.

In 2016, he made $200k. Going to get himself some nice retirement savings.

A huge key is going to be the staff he pulls together. Will be tracking to see what happens with Wake alum Will Murphy, who is the third assistant at Wofford.

I'm completely mystified as to how any rational person can think VT's basketball coaching choices somehow portend the future for Wake Forest.

We are a shitty program, at an academically rigorous school, with a cavernous stadium that we can't half fill. This idea that we can look down on programs like Virginia Tech is a fantasy. We are like State fans in the late 90s and early 00s who thought that National Championships in the 70s and 80s still mattered. Wake is not a good job. The last two coaches we hired failed miserably. The last coach with any success was unceremoniously shown the door. Who in the world do you think we are going to hire? You think we are going to compete with State Flagship SEC schools for a head coach?

We are a shitty program, at an academically rigorous school, with a cavernous stadium that we can't half fill. This idea that we can look down on programs like Virginia Tech is a fantasy. We are like State fans in the late 90s and early 00s who thought that National Championships in the 70s and 80s still mattered. Wake is not a good job. The last two coaches we hired failed miserably. The last coach with any success was unceremoniously shown the door. Who in the world do you think we are going to hire? You think we are going to compete with State Flagship SEC schools for a head coach?

I think it's the best job in the country. You get at least 4+ years to lose consistently and you'll get paid a ridiculous amount. Sounds like a dream job to me.

Back