• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

He also can't coach defense at all. There are really a lot of areas of the job he's awful at.

Also LOL at the Tennessee folks' slams at Currie. We are such a national joke at this point.

Base on what i know of Tennessee folks, the most rational take would be that Tennessee folks are a bunch of morons.

I will hold judgment on Tennessee fans. See what Currie has accomplished by this time next year in getting a new Bball coach and make judgment then. They may end up being right.

Cronin to UCLA.

Currie was totally fucked at TN. He may suck at Wake, but what happened at TN was not on him.

Cronin to UCLA.

I had been saying I thought Cronin was potentially open to a move based on his comments about the lack of respect for the American and recruiting issues at UC. That said, I don't think a move to Wake would have been attractive to him and I don't think he was right for the Wake job. The other aspect here is that UC fans are not that enthused with Cronin. They think he has serious recruiting deficiencies that are leading to early round exits in the tourney. <<Cue the Ph one-liner - "I'd take being in the tourney consistently.">> But there might be some real substance to criticism of Cronin's strategy. UCLA is tough to turn down from UC though. He'll have every recruiting advantage that he lacked at UC. However, I'm not sure whether LA is going to love his style. I'm pretty sure they won't. <<Cue Ph - "Winning is a good style.">>

It's a better move than most for Cronin as he'll again be at a power program within his own conference, and the Pac-12 is weak at the moment so he's not getting thrown into the type of crucible he was in when Cincy was in the old Big East and he didn't particularly distinguish himself.

He really shouldn't have been bitching about the American, that conference was really good for his program and his career prospects. In '17-18 he went all of 2-2 against P6 opposition, yet was able to get a #2 seed in the tournament

Lots of moves made this year with high-major and mid-major coaches. Not much will be left for next year. No idea what competition will be around for coaches next year either. FBI scandal could leave openings at Arizona and Kansas, some elder statesmen could retire, maybe an elite coach bolts for the NBA. Could be stiffer competition to get elite coaches and slim pickings. Great job this year Ron Wellman, your vision for the future is matched by none!

It's a better move than most for Cronin as he'll again be at a power program within his own conference, and the Pac-12 is weak at the moment so he's not getting thrown into the type of crucible he was in when Cincy was in the old Big East and he didn't particularly distinguish himself.

He really shouldn't have been bitching about the American, that conference was really good for his program and his career prospects. In '17-18 he went all of 2-2 against P6 opposition, yet was able to get a #2 seed in the tournament

Yeah looking back at Cincy’s OOC games the last few years they didn’t exactly ever challenge themselves

Lots of moves made this year with high-major and mid-major coaches. Not much will be left for next year. No idea what competition will be around for coaches next year either. FBI scandal could leave openings at Arizona and Kansas, some elder statesmen could retire, maybe an elite coach bolts for the NBA. Could be stiffer competition to get elite coaches and slim pickings. Great job this year Ron Wellman, your vision for the future is unrivaled by any!

Fixed it for you. Remember where he is.

Currie was totally fucked at TN. He may suck at Wake, but what happened at TN was not on him.

Who rehired him ?

Maybe Currie should have asked more questions before he came back to Knoxville. And maybe he should have done a much better background check on Shiano not only on the Penn State angle but certainly on his time at Rutgers....which was sketchy on and off the field.

Northern Kentucky's John Brannen is expected to be on the Cincy short list to replace Cronin. Northern Kentucky is in a suburb of Cincy.

Really impressed by Brannen. Hoped a big program would not scoop him up before the WF job opened up. Bummer if he goes to the Bearcats.

Agreed. I had hope we had a chance. Any new name that emerges will likely do so with one or two good years and will be a risk.

We'll settle for Wes. It won't look so bad once the FBI smoke blows over, at least in the minds of our AD

So far Phil Fulmer has hired Jeremy Pruitt for $3.85 million a year, given Rick Barnes a pay raise to something approaching $5 million a year, and fired the women's basketball coach who followed Pat Summitt (Holly Warlick) and replaced her with Kelly Harper.

I'd give Fulmer a:
C- for the Pruitt hire because Currie lined up two superior coaches and everyone else in the SEC has passed on Pruitt
B for keeping Barnes, but we haven't seen the contract yet for a 64-year old coach who's facing a rebuild
A- for firing Holly Warlick who was Summitt's assistant, it's tough to follow a legend, but the program is treading water recently
D- for hiring Harper who is a former Pat Summitt point guard, also coached by Warlick, who has been given the best job in women's basketball for the accomplishment of winning a total of 2 NCAA tournament games (both this year) in 15 years. Harper also went 70-64 (23-29) in four years at NC State and has only won at mid-major schools. Warlick has a much better resume than Harper at this point.

We'll settle for Wes. It won't look so bad once the FBI smoke blows over, at least in the minds of our AD

This may have been the whole reason for keeping Manning. Hiring Wes wouldn’t have been a good look.

Back