• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Surratt would be a huge punt returner. I’d like to see one of the young guys get the nods at PR and KR. Hinton would be an intriguing return man and it could be his ticket to an NFL shot but I worry about injuries.

First, thanks for posting, DeacAssured!

Every time I see Sage field a punt, I think it's the strangest sight. Just so far from the norm for punt returners. Concern for Hinton is valid -- remember last year when the debate raged on this board that Dortch was too fragile to be a returner, and I asked Clawson about that and he basically laughed (good-natured) at the notion they wouldn't have him returning? I think that's actually a legit concern with Hinton. It'll sort itself out, I'm sure, but it's striking that they're so unresolved at returners and every other position is basically down to 2, maybe 3, candidates.

The big difference between Dortch and Hinton at PR is Dortch had plenty of experience.

The best part of the Walker video is that he came to a complete stop 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage and still couldn't be tackled.

I was hoping they'd try Claude at returner with his speed, but it doesn't seem to be in their plans.

First, thanks for posting, DeacAssured!

Every time I see Sage field a punt, I think it's the strangest sight. Just so far from the norm for punt returners. Concern for Hinton is valid -- remember last year when the debate raged on this board that Dortch was too fragile to be a returner, and I asked Clawson about that and he basically laughed (good-natured) at the notion they wouldn't have him returning? I think that's actually a legit concern with Hinton. It'll sort itself out, I'm sure, but it's striking that they're so unresolved at returners and every other position is basically down to 2, maybe 3, candidates.

I feel you. Always thought it looked weird seeing Jared Crump return punts in the Grobe era. Granted he caught every punt (like I'm sure is the appeal for Surratt).

I feel you. Always thought it looked weird seeing Jared Crump return punts in the Grobe era. Granted he caught every punt (like I'm sure is the appeal for Surratt).

Sometimes catching a punt results in saving yards because there is no bounce and roll. Breaking punt returns for long yardage is rare. There may be trade-offs between sure handed fair catches with no return and catches with return plus non catches that bounce and roll 10+ yards.

Sometimes catching a punt results in saving yards because there is no bounce and roll. Breaking punt returns for long yardage is rare. There may be trade-offs between sure handed fair catches with no return and catches with return plus non catches that bounce and roll 10+ yards.

I think you may have captured the approach of our staff. Long punt returns are rare. Dortch may have caused us to think that it is not rare. Dortch was exceptional. Nonetheless, I hope we can find someone with breakaway potential that is also sure handed.

Seems like the ideal punt returner is a sure handed quick decision maker. Decide if there’s a way to get a few yards and quickly do it.

I'm officially declaring Kenneth Walker III as the next, but bigger, Chris Barclay.

Well their 59 point allowing defense is elite, after all.

Also doesn't help Mark Gilbert, their All-America corner going into last season, underwent another hip surgery last week.

Also, on Kenneth Walker-Chris Barclay comps -- if you can't get overly excited in August, when can you?!?!

Yeah. This is the first time since 2007 that we’ve started the season with a team that had legit 10 win potential.

This has to be top-3 most amped our fan base has been for Football in my lifetime.

Seems like the ideal punt returner is a sure handed quick decision maker. Decide if there’s a way to get a few yards and quickly do it.

This x1,000. Anytime there's dancing the odds go down for a decent return and go up for a sizeable loss. Catch, assess the scene, make one move, and jet. If I were a tackler I would hate to have to track angles on someone quickly getting up to full speed, all while someone is blocking my view and my body.

Back