• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Good read. Kind of bummed to hear our two 4-star freshman WRs haven't really impressed thus far, but good to hear other guys are stepping up.

Good read. Kind of bummed to hear our two 4-star freshman WRs haven't really impressed thus far, but good to hear other guys are stepping up.

Yeah, but in the long run it may be better that we have the depth and talent that those guys probably won't need to be counted on this year and they can concentrate on getting stronger and acclimated to the college level both on the field and in the classroom.

True. But I had hoped/expected at least one of our rare 4 star recruits would wow everyone immediately and be too good to keep off the field. Doesn't seem like that's the case (yet).

True. But I had hoped/expected at least one of our rare 4 star recruits would wow everyone immediately and be too good to keep off the field. Doesn't seem like that's the case (yet).

Yeah, hopefully it speaks more of the talent we have ahead of them as opposed to them under performing so far.

It probably would have been the case a few years ago. Thankfully it isn’t now.

We're pretty stacked at WR. Hopefully they take their redshirt seasons in stride and work on becoming bigger pieces of the offense in 2020. With the new redshirt rules, both could see some reps this year, as well.

Would like to be reading/hearing more about....

Scotty Washington - too quiet

Benzinger - was pretty bad at LT last year...back to RT looking better ?

Mike Allen - also too quiet

Herron - sounds like the knee maybe not 100%

Need update on injuties….

LB DJ Taylor - OFY

DB Woulard - OFY

DT Fox - OFY ( no longer on roster, left school ? )

That it so far ?

Problem for Donavon is that he hasn't been on the field -- he's been limited by some tightness or a twisted ankle, I think. Today was his first day back to full go (and he looked good).

It's twofold for him and Groulx. As Higgins said, coming from 1-A to ACC football is a massive leap. Higgins also told me Mt. Airy's playbook is probably 10% of what Wake's is, and that's before you get into tempo. For Groulx, he's the one with a bit of a logjam at outside WR -- which it seems he's learning before he learns the slot. They really want him to be Alex Bachman 2.0, and it won't be the end of the world if he redshirts (which they wish they'd been able to do with Bachman).

Hondo, man, I don't know what to tell you on some of those. All indications, Herron is 100% and has been since July. Fox is out for the year, published info that he'll rejoin the team in January and play next year. For other injuries, we've reported on Tyler Williams (out next 2 weeks, questionable for Utah State, probable for Rice) and Kendall Hinton (back at practice today, looked sharp). Ja'Corey Johns was back today, too.

Don't know I'd say Benzinger was "bad" at LT last year. But RT is certainly more natural, and he's looked strong and healthy all camp. I wrote about Scotty in the first weekend, and for a 5th-year senior coming off a down year, it was always going to be more important for him to stay healthy and get his feet under him once games that matter start.

Now, I'll say this: I'm an idiot and was completely wrong about something I said on this board a day or two ago. Mike Allen worked at DT today. Royce Francis has worked his ass off to become Boogie's primary backup, anyway.

Thanks for those updates.

Looked at the Wake roster and Shamar McCollum is listed at 235 lbs. Hope he is either bigger than listed or is able to redshirt (not likely) this year and spend a little more quality time in the buffet line and weight room.

Looked at the Wake roster and Shamar McCollum is listed at 235 lbs. Hope he is either bigger than listed or is able to redshirt (not likely) this year and spend a little more quality time in the buffet line and weight room.

McCollum was 200 when he signed. He's been in the buffet line and weight room for a while.

Shamar definitely will not redshirt.

Good to see that Allen has moved inside. He is someone over 275 with experience that we need inside. Would also provide pass rushing from the inside position.

Don't worry about McCollum we are going to love him. Barring no injuries when his career ends at Wake we'll look at him like our Clowney. I believe this with every ounce of my being

68691817_10220124500008530_9216007473612193792_n.jpg

Clawson needs to hire armed guards to keep those 2 away from our football team. We don't need any of their crap rubbing off.

Last edited:
Problem for Donavon is that he hasn't been on the field -- he's been limited by some tightness or a twisted ankle, I think. Today was his first day back to full go (and he looked good).

It's twofold for him and Groulx. As Higgins said, coming from 1-A to ACC football is a massive leap. Higgins also told me Mt. Airy's playbook is probably 10% of what Wake's is, and that's before you get into tempo. For Groulx, he's the one with a bit of a logjam at outside WR -- which it seems he's learning before he learns the slot. They really want him to be Alex Bachman 2.0, and it won't be the end of the world if he redshirts (which they wish they'd been able to do with Bachman).

Hondo, man, I don't know what to tell you on some of those. All indications, Herron is 100% and has been since July. Fox is out for the year, published info that he'll rejoin the team in January and play next year. For other injuries, we've reported on Tyler Williams (out next 2 weeks, questionable for Utah State, probable for Rice) and Kendall Hinton (back at practice today, looked sharp). Ja'Corey Johns was back today, too.

Don't know I'd say Benzinger was "bad" at LT last year. But RT is certainly more natural, and he's looked strong and healthy all camp. I wrote about Scotty in the first weekend, and for a 5th-year senior coming off a down year, it was always going to be more important for him to stay healthy and get his feet under him once games that matter start.

Now, I'll say this: I'm an idiot and was completely wrong about something I said on this board a day or two ago. Mike Allen worked at DT today. Royce Francis has worked his ass off to become Boogie's primary backup, anyway.

Missed the Fox info, thanks. Did I miss anyone else gone for the year ?

BTW, if you were to buy a dress shirt for Dion Bergen, what would guess as his neck size....maybe 21 and a half ??:laugh:

68691817_10220124500008530_9216007473612193792_n.jpg

Clawson needs to hire armed guards to keep those 2 away from our football team. We don't need any of their crap rubbing off.

Howz it goin' Danny ?

Very well...just bought a couple more $900 dollar suits.

Missed the Fox info, thanks. Did I miss anyone else gone for the year ?

BTW, if you were to buy a dress shirt for Dion Bergen, what would guess as his neck size....maybe 21 and a half ??:laugh:

Don't think so. Only season-ending injuries are him, DJ Taylor and Peyton Woulard.

And man, Bergan has the broadest chest I've ever seen on a 20-year-old. I mean, other than being around Dwight Howard one time in Charlotte, Bergan has the biggest chest I've seen on anyone. Also, having talked to him twice in the last week, I'm a fan of his interviews. He's a pretty serious dude and I'm not going to rile him up, hahaha.

Does this mean Francis is ahead of Allen at DE? Allen is not trending in the right direction.

Back