• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 Deacon Football Preview Thread

Some good ideas coming for Boogie celebrations.

Remember when we had Boo Robinson at DT?
Whenever he made a big play the crowd would boo.
Folks didn’t understand at first if they didn’t know his name, but it caught on and we had some great booing.

How has Herron and Coby looked coming off their ACL injuries?

Nice work, Conor. I loved the quotes from Clawson about single digit numbers.

“And at Wake Forest it’s not as simple as grabbing a number that’s more appealing than one that opens.

“We always tell the players that the single digits are earned, they’re not given,” Clawson said. “So if you want a single digit and you come to me and say you want that number, you better have a lot of evidence that you’ve done everything right in our program.”

That means more than on-field production. Clawson said holding good academic and social standing is part of the process, and that the single-digit-wearing players are seen as “the best representatives of our program.

“There (are) kids that have requested single digits and they’ve played well, but because they don’t necessarily handle all of their business well, they don’t get it,” Clawson said. “There’s been a number of single-digit requests that have not been granted, and not to do with how they practiced or how they’ve played.””

Man I love Clawson.

Wasn’t Hinton still single digits last year after he was suspended? I enjoyed the article but not sure how much I buy it being so difficult to earn off the field. Obviously could be a much different standard to rescind.

Wasn’t Hinton still single digits last year after he was suspended? I enjoyed the article but not sure how much I buy it being so difficult to earn off the field. Obviously could be a much different standard to rescind.

I got the impression this single digit thing was a recent informal policy to respond to demand for single digit numbers. I also got the impression numbers aren’t revoked.

That's a good point, yes, Kendall was No. 2 before and after the suspension. That's been his number the entire time he's been at Wake, so that's a little surprising, too.

But I think you might've answered your own question, probably a different process to strip away a guy's number. And Kendall made a mistake that cost him, and the team, three games. According to all involved, he's done everything asked of him since then to atone for it. There could've been a scenario in which (cough, Thomas Cole, cough) Kendall wouldn't have atoned for it, and would've been dismissed or maybe had his number reassigned.

Newman starting against Utah State per Les on Twitter

This is something many saw coming, while it was a close, there seems to be more upside with seeing if Newman continues with the hot hand and it "increases" hypothetically the chances of Hartman redshirting. Still expect to see both QB's throughout the season though.

This is something many saw coming, while it was a close, there seems to be more upside with seeing if Newman continues with the hot hand and it "increases" hypothetically the chances of Hartman redshirting. Still expect to see both QB's throughout the season though.

Ditto.

Congrats to Newman and glad the decision was made two weeks out. I know well see Hartman, and think he’s got a great opportunity to spend another year developing and getting to play later in the season (hopefully) while keeping the shirt.

Back