• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 NBA Draft Thread: Hoard playing for Blazers in Summer League

So that means he will be playing in the G-League next year and not overseas, right? I am far from an expert on NBA contracts, but I would think just playing in France would pay him more and give him more future NBA flexibility. Perhaps he (and his people) think that a two-way contract at least keeps him in-front of an NBA team, while playing in France has a risk of being "out of sight out of mind"?

And he's making likely more money than in France.

Fernando is being traded to the Hawks. Brand gets a D- for the Sixers draft. The only tram that did worse was the Suns who gave up their biggest need for a shooter they could have gotten in the 20s.

And he's making likely more money than in France.

I'm not so sure about that. I guess it depends on if and how much he actually plays for Portland. The most a 2-way player can play in the NBA is 45 days, and it sounds like that would mean a total salary of $279K. If you don't play in the NBA at all you get $75K. At least those numbers are from a few seasons ago, so maybe it is a little more now. I couldn't stumble across a typical French pro salary during a quick Google search. I would think 200-300K would be reasonable, especially with the perks that get thrown in over there (housing, meals, taxes being paid for, etc.)

A lot of native players don't get the same perks as foreign players do. I also don't think they'd sign him to a valuable two way contract if they didn't expect to use him for at least a reasonable part of it as these deals are extremely limited.

First 10 picks made sense, after that there were quite a few head scratchers. NBA used to draft on production, then drafted based on potential, and last night it was about shooting ability. This is perhaps the dumbest priority to draft on, as shooting is the skill that can be most improved through practice and time in the pros. Every elite shooter will tell you the key to their success is repetition. Sure, don't draft someone with the Melo Eggleston's jumper form, but anyone whose form is not broken can be turned into a decent shooter.

Shows the increasing influence of analytics on basketball. Shooting ability is the hot tool right now. Completely agree that its a skill that can be developed with hard work.

Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett both went undrafted out of Syracuse.

Both probably would have been drafted last year.

Oops.

(I hate Syracuse)

Shows the increasing influence of analytics on basketball. Shooting ability is the hot tool right now. Completely agree that its a skill that can be developed with hard work.

A player can become a solid to good shooter with hard work but not an elite shooter. That’s very rare.

The big difference with analytics is not just prioritizing shooting, it’s the ability to get shooters open shots without having to create themselves.

He goes from "lottery pick" on NBA draft.net for like 14 months, to undrafted. Great.

Also, now the Blazers can put Nassir Little in at SF ahead of Hoard, and slide Aminu and Harkless down to the smallish/undersized PF roles that fit them both.

He goes from "lottery pick" on NBA draft.net for like 14 months, to undrafted. Great.

Also, now the Blazers can put Nassir Little in at SF ahead of Hoard, and slide Aminu and Harkless down to the smallish/undersized PF roles that fit them both.

How many minutes do you really think Little is going to get next year ?

Little is an uber-athlete, but he is raw. He was 6th in minutes on UNC last year.

Don't see Little getting a lot of minutes next year absent injuries or Portland's season going south. Think Little and Hoard will be playing together in the G League.

Also, Portland and Denver are now the only two NBA teams without their own G-League affiliate. So, the Blazers look to existing G League teams with an open roster spot for their players. Less than ideal.

why don't Denver and Portland have affiliates? is it a money thing?

am I correct that a few teams share?

2019 NBA Draft Thread: Hoard invited to combine

Why don’t they have one? Portland could put one across the border to bring basketball back to Vancouver (WA). Boulder seems like a good fit for the Boulder Prospectors or something like that.

That had to be awkward.

Agent: “We got you a two-way deal with the Blazers!”

Hoard: “That’s great! Where is their G-League team?”

Agent: “Don’t know.”

So, for the brief moment in between when he went undrafted and signed with Portland, Hoard could have come back to Wake, correct? Are any other undrafted players coming back to school?

why don't Denver and Portland have affiliates? is it a money thing?

am I correct that a few teams share?

Teams used to share, but I believe that every NBA team has their own franchise, and Denver and Portland just need to find G League franchises affiliated with other NBA teams with spots for its players. Here is an article discussing it: https://www.denverstiffs.com/2018/10/23/18015266/the-denver-nuggets-are-now-one-of-just-two-teams-without-a-g-league-affiliate

Really bad situation for Portland and Denver as the teams with spots available for them will be naturally more focused on developing their own players than Portland's or Denver's players.

With all of the money that the NBA generates, hard to understand why Portland and Denver would not set up their own G league franchises at this point. Regardless, this will be another hurdle for Hoard.

I had no idea Sioux Falls was the Heat affiliate. That's more than a little weird.

What idiot needs analytics to tell them that shooting ability should be prioritized when drafting basketball players? The fact that it wasn't previously prioritized says more about the stupidity of NBA GMs than it does anything else.

What idiot needs analytics to tell them that shooting ability should be prioritized when drafting basketball players? The fact that it wasn't previously prioritized says more about the stupidity of NBA GMs than it does anything else.

the day after defending MKG...

Other than Keldon Johnson (who is a question mark), the KY guys are vastly overrated. Herro only shot about 36% on college threes and Washington is a classic tweener. With Turner and Sabonis, why the Pacers took Goga is a mystery as is the Wiz taking Riu,

Back