• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

If by one team league you mean only one team at the level of Alabama, then yeah. But considering that six SEC teams are going to finish in the top 15, calling the SEC a one team league is pretty silly.

So much of that is self-fulfilling prophecy based on SEC and Big Ten hype.

You're a parody poster at this point. You believe that self-fulfilling prophecies and favorable bowl scheduling are the reasons UGA, LSU, Florida, UK, and aTm are going to be ranked in the top 15 but no ACC teams are?

Hypo: Your house is on the line - who would you pick in these 5 matchups?
Georgia-Syracuse
LSU-NC State
Florida-Pitt
aTM-Virginia
Kentucky-Duke

If we are putting a pin in UGA talk because of their need to win then UCF and the not power 5 conference should never be talked about again.

You're a parody poster at this point. You believe that self-fulfilling prophecies and favorable bowl scheduling are the reasons UGA, LSU, Florida, UK, and aTm are going to be ranked in the top 15 but no ACC teams are?

Hypo: Your house is on the line - who would you pick in these 5 matchups?
Georgia-Syracuse
LSU-NC State
Florida-Pitt
aTM-Virginia
Kentucky-Duke

No ACC teams besides Clemson will be top 15 because the ACC is a one-team conference.

What is your argument? That the Big 12, ACC, & Pac 12 are better than they are given credit for? Or that the Group of 5 collectively deserves more praise?

Would love to see your "hype free" Top 15 rankings.

Aside from Clemson, which ACC team should be in the Top 15? Syracuse?
In the Big 12, who after Oklahoma and Texas?
Pac 12? Washington and Washington State?
I guess I can buy that the Big Ten gets too much hype, but even they only had Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State on that list.

I'd argue that you're really splitting hairs after the top 6... A whole lot of good, but not great teams there from like 7-20. The SEC teams seem pretty fairly ranked to me.

2018 offical College Football thread

There are two elite teams, a handful of next tier teams, and a huge morass of 20 or so teams. The SEC and Big Ten team rises to the top of those mostly based on rep because it’s not possible for them to play enough P5 games or top G5 teams outside the SEC/Big Ten clique.

Last edited:
I get so damn sick and tired of every bowl season hearing this team or that team wasn't motivated or weren't interested, that is such a loser excuse. It's almost as if the headline is already written if a certain team loses.

There are two elite teams, a handful of next tier teams, and a huge morass of 20 or so teams. The SEC and Big Ten team rises to the top of those mostly based on rep because it’s not possible for them to play enough P5 games or top G5 teams outside the SEC/Big Ten clique.

I guess I agree, in theory. But I'd still argue that the SEC makes up a disproportionate amount of that morass, year in and year out.

I'd also argue it isn't just rep... They bring in the best players. So in that respect, it is self-fulfilling.

Recruiting rankings are based on rep as well.

Recruiting rankings are based on rep as well.

Yeah, same as hoops. Of course, there is a HUGE correlation between recruiting rankings and how good a player is. Not without bias, but mostly gets it right.

I mean, you can also look at it on the other end... Who is getting drafted (and having success) in the NFL?

Clemson, 'Bama, and Ohio St. were the only top 10 teams to win their bowl game. I think the 4 team playoff is safe, for now.

The SEC had the best overall year in 2019, but other than message board chest-pounding WGAF?

Do Arkansas fans feel better about their 2-10 season with a loss to North Texas because Bama is playing in the NC, and Kentucky had a surprising year? Is S. Carolina now OK with getting owned by UVA because other conference teams had good years? Should UGA now be happy with their 0-2 finish to the season?

Duke, UNC and UVA may all make the Final 4 this year. Should we all feel better about WF basketball then?

If Clemson wins Monday, they are the best team in college football and defeated 3 SEC teams and ND along the way. At that point does it matter that Kentucky and Florida are in the top 15?

Clemson, 'Bama, and Ohio St. were the only top 10 teams to win their bowl game. I think the 4 team playoff is safe, for now.

If tOSU didn't turn on cruise control and blow the 4th quarter, it would have been pretty easy to argue they should have been in (Purdue loss aside). This year, statistically, is the most clear cut best two teams we've had since Texas/USC in '05. Viva la BCS.

The SEC had the best overall year in 2019, but other than message board chest-pounding WGAF?

Do Arkansas fans feel better about their 2-10 season with a loss to North Texas because Bama is playing in the NC, and Kentucky had a surprising year? Is S. Carolina now OK with getting owned by UVA because other conference teams had good years? Should UGA now be happy with their 0-2 finish to the season?

Duke, UNC and UVA may all make the Final 4 this year. Should we all feel better about WF basketball then?

If Clemson wins Monday, they are the best team in college football and defeated 3 SEC teams and ND along the way. At that point does it matter that Kentucky and Florida are in the top 15?

None of it matters outside of the Clemson/Alabama game, regardless of the outcome. I simple posted what I did about the six SEC teams in the top 15 to refute the assertion that the SEC is a one team league.

Is that a fact, or is that your opinion?

It’s so weird to me when people can’t distinguish between fact and opinion. What on earth would make you think my statement is a fact rather than opinion? Do I need to dumb down my posts and start every sentence with “I think?”

Back