• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

If tOSU didn't turn on cruise control and blow the 4th quarter, it would have been pretty easy to argue they should have been in (Purdue loss aside)

Yes, putting aside the 29-point mauling to a team that got beat by 49 in its bowl game, Ohio State had a worthy resume

TheReff indeed feels better about being beatdown by UVA because Alabama, representing the SEC, is in the national championship.

If tOSU didn't turn on cruise control and blow the 4th quarter, it would have been pretty easy to argue they should have been in (Purdue loss aside). This year, statistically, is the most clear cut best two teams we've had since Texas/USC in '05. Viva la BCS.

They also gave up a horrendous back door cover (got them at -6 and had it parlayed with Texas, who covered by a million) so fuck that shitty school forever.

Last edited:
They also gave up a horrendous back door cover (got them at -6 and had it parlayed with Texas, who covered by a million) so fuck that shitty school forever.

The back door cover was indeed brutal, and the tough PI/TD calls down the stretch made it even worse. Not to mention if the dude would have returned the 2 point try INT to the house and not tripped over the QB, they would have still covered.

Aren't you a bandwagon Tide fan? Can't remember.

So.

What was the need for a 4 team playoff?

And someone needs to be fired for deciding to play in Cal.

Not only west coast but one of, if not the most expensive place in the country to fly into and book a hotel. Never mind both fanbases had to pay for travel, hotel, etc. just last week.

I mean, what's so bad about planning a football game an hour from San Francisco at 5 PM on a Monday ? How bad could traffic really be ?

I mean, the stadium was almost half full for the PAC 12 championship game at 5 PM on a Friday. Why would there be a problem ?

nothing wrong with playing in california, but it should have been southern california. nobody wants to go to san jose, especially in january. playing in a historical college stadium, like, oh i don't know, the rose bowl, would have helped too.

playing in levi stadium was an obvious cash grab based on the idea that fans would just keep shelling out cash. turns out that the in-person experience isn't nearly as fungible as planners expected, especially for the travel-weary alabama and clemson fan bases.

The Rose Bowl was a cheaper ticket last year than the Sugar Bowl, the SECCG, or national championship game.

Not only west coast but one of, if not the most expensive place in the country to fly into and book a hotel. Never mind both fanbases had to pay for travel, hotel, etc. just last week.

My sister, a Clemson alum, has a free ticket and hotel room, but don't think she's going due to the very high cost of the flight and the hassle of flying back and forth to San Jose.
Meanwhile, the game in Atlanta last year was sold out and tickets were going for over $3000.

Meanwhile, the game in Atlanta last year was sold out and tickets were going for over $3000.

UGA fans were obviously scared it would be another 37 years before they make it back again.

UGA fans were obviously scared it would be another 37 years before they make it back again.

Georgia had more fans there but Bama still probably had 40% to 45% of the fans. Lot of corporate interests there too. College football in Santa Clara isn't quite as attractive to a casual observer as a game in Atlanta.

Would you fly across the country to sit in a bad seat ? Or even three hours from Oklahoma ? Also, Levi's Stadium is about the same size as the MB Stadium.

Nevertheless, there are 19 million people in LA and hardly any of them were interested in going to a college football playoff game.

Going to a game at those stadiums in California is more like going to the Orange Bowl in Miami Gardens than rolling up to BofA Stadium for the Belk Bowl or the MB Stadium in Atlanta. Supedome is easier to get to as well.

Last edited:
The stadium is outside San Jose. It's pretty nice. I guess they're hoping for Silicon valley folks to ante up.

nothing wrong with playing in california, but it should have been southern california. nobody wants to go to san jose, especially in january. playing in a historical college stadium, like, oh i don't know, the rose bowl, would have helped too.

playing in levi stadium was an obvious cash grab based on the idea that fans would just keep shelling out cash. turns out that the in-person experience isn't nearly as fungible as planners expected, especially for the travel-weary alabama and clemson fan bases.

Yeah, the CFP championship, much like the Super Bowl, is really only about catering to the corporate crowd at this point. That is why they are playing games in San Jose and the new Hollywood Park stadium in LA (2022) in brand new stadiums, rather than in a historic stadium like the Rose Bowl or LA Coliseum, neither of which have many/any club seats/suites. The game belongs in the Midwest/South 98% of the time, but can't be showing that "west coast bias"!

The stadium is outside San Jose. It's pretty nice. I guess they're hoping for Silicon valley folks to ante up.

It's in Santa Clara and it's very nice and I've been there. What indication do you have that Silicon Valley folks are going to ante up when the game's not sold out five days in advance. Sure, they sold out the corporate suites and the great seats, but you can get into this game for under $200.

Playing this game in the Bay Area is like the NCAA holding the field hockey finals in Texas.

Back