• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

I am glad to know that the good Lord above spent His valuable time this evening making sure Dabo Swinney and his crew of good Christian men defeated the other group of Christians in the crusades of football, as opposed to wasting His time bringing peace to the middle east or keeping some African kids from starving to death. Go Clemson!

Yeah gratitude and humility sucks.

Yeah gratitude and humility sucks.

Agreed. Total misrepresentation of what Dabo said. He was expressing thanks that his team had the opportunity to play in that stadium and in that game.

I like the way the game was officiated. Clemson's db's were a little handsy and holding could have been called on Alabama's o-line nearly every play. I think the reffs let two insanely good football teams handle business and let the little stuff go. It's nice to see them get out of the way.

This

lighten up dudes. mostly a tongue in cheek comment. i thought his post game interview was pretty darn good and entertaining.

MY favorite part of the whole night was when Wilkins (I believe) gave Dabo a wet-willy while Dabo was being interviewed after the trophy presentation. The players were goofing and Dabo didn't blink. Shows a great relationship with the players and the coach...

Also when Wilkins and Ferrell tried to steal the microphone from Reece Davis and he was having none of it. Also the Suge Knight reference was nice.

What a great game. As someone who lives in Mississippi it is so sweet to watch the SEC lose.

Besides the play on the field, a big difference between these 2 teams was their attitude, starting with the coaches.
Saban is all business and never smiles. Does he ever hug players? Does he ever have fun? Does he ever celebrate?
Dabo has created more of a family atmosphere, gets excited with the players when good things happen and likes to have fun. One of his pre-game comments was 'just go out there and be who we are'.......or something like that.
The post game comments by Dabo and the Clemson players reflected this.
Which culture would you rather play in?

Besides the play on the field, a big difference between these 2 teams was their attitude, starting with the coaches.
Saban is all business and never smiles. Does he ever hug players? Does he ever have fun? Does he ever celebrate?
Dabo has created more of a family atmosphere, gets excited with the players when good things happen and likes to have fun. One of his pre-game comments was 'just go out there and be who we are'.......or something like that.
The post game comments by Dabo and the Clemson players reflected this.
Which culture would you rather play in?

Saban really seems to run Alabama like an NFL developmental program. Dabo seems to try and make it still seem at least a little like it is a college program. Even though Clemson is an excellent NFL developmental program.

Saban really seems to run Alabama like an NFL developmental program. Dabo seems to try and make it still seem at least a little like it is a college program. Even though Clemson is an excellent NFL developmental program.

Saban also runs Bama like a coaching rehab clinic whereas Dabo seeks continuity.

Dabo has an overpaid lifer at DC whearas Saban's assistants have ambition beyond their current employer.

Overpaid seems an odd claim. I'd argue the biggest reason for Dabo's success has been surrounding himself with excellent coordinators. Things really turned for him when he brought Chad Morris and Venables on board

He's the second highest paid assistant in college football and has no apparent interest in leaving. All of the other guys on the list are looking to move up into a head coaching job. Chad Morris did just that.

Every team that got its ass kicked by Clemson this season feels a little better about that loss in light of Clemson's manhandling of the mighty Fightin' Sabans.

I really like Dabo. He is real and he is who he is without apology. But it would be wrong to suppose that he is a softy. I saw a brief exchange with a member of his staff on the sidelines during the 1st half in which Dabo said, rather bluntly, "do your job". I have no idea who the guy was, but he wasn't feeling warm fuzzies from Dabo at that moment.

He's the second highest paid assistant in college football and has no apparent interest in leaving. All of the other guys on the list are looking to move up into a head coaching job. Chad Morris did just that.

Right. But he's not overpaid

I really like Dabo. He is real and he is who he is without apology. But it would be wrong to suppose that he is a softy. I saw a brief exchange with a member of his staff on the sidelines during the 1st half in which Dabo said, rather bluntly, "do your job". I have no idea who the guy was, but he wasn't feeling warm fuzzies from Dabo at that moment.

That was at the official, hilarious moment

Like Dabo too. Think, the "do your job" directive was aimed at the sideline official.

He is why Clemson has brought their program up to and maybe past Bama. Recruits want to play for him. Coaches want to stay on his staff. Think Saban runs his staff like a rehab clinic, because he has to. Don't think it's enjoyable coaching under Saban, and those working under him look to leave ASAP. Also, while coaches generally like to have their former players visit, have heard that Clemson's former players return to practice and work out with the current players at a greater rate than any other.

One last thing. If not for the 3 year rule, Lawrence would be the #1 pick in the NFL draft this year. Justyn Ross would be a first round pick too. Scary to think they will be around for two more years (also, very unfair that they lose two years of ability to earn millions).

Perhaps you are right, but I thought he was talking to a guy with a clipboard dressed in black. Maybe not. At any rate, Dabo was no nonsense in this remarks.

Back