• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2019 offical College Football thread

I have no problem with the late season cupcakes. For one thing, we still have NFL, NBA, and NCAAM to pay attention to all weekend. Plus it means you essentially get rested teams for rivalry weekend.

I really don't see what difference it makes if you play a cupcake in September or mid-November. Every Power 5 plays 2 or 3 of them a year. Unless the team is in the ACC, then they get 5 or 6.

BTW, next year, Georgia plays ND again next year in September after Murray State and Arkansas State. They'll play Texas A&M this weekend in 2019, between Auburn and Tech.

Alabama will open with Duke in Atlanta, play New Mexico State the next week, and play Western Carolina on November 23 before the Auburn game on November 30.

I get why the teams do it for sure, but more as the casual fan watching on TV, I like better match-ups as the season goes on when the stakes are higher and you know for sure which teams are in play for the CFP. earlier in the season teams will play cupcakes, but there are usually some marquee non-con and even conference match-ups to offset.

also, how does Duke schedule a major SEC team like Bama but we can't? Hell, they came to Durham a few years ago.

I have no problem with the late season cupcakes. For one thing, we still have NFL, NBA, and NCAAM to pay attention to all weekend. Plus it means you essentially get rested teams for rivalry weekend.

The whole point of this discussion.

I get why the teams do it for sure, but more as the casual fan watching on TV, I like better match-ups as the season goes on when the stakes are higher and you know for sure which teams are in play for the CFP. earlier in the season teams will play cupcakes, but there are usually some marquee non-con and even conference match-ups to offset.

also, how does Duke schedule a major SEC team like Bama but we can't? Hell, they came to Durham a few years ago.

that's really strange - Saban has been at Alabama for 12 seasons now, and they have played two OOC road games - Duke in 2010 and Penn State in 2012

not sure, but guessing Saban did not schedule the trip to Wally Wade

Saban loves him some neutral sites - and one of these teams is not like the others. Here is the P5 OOC opponent for Bama from 2007-2023 (neutral site unless noted):

2007 FSU
2008 Clemson
2009 Virginia Tech
2010 (played PSU at home, @Duke)
2011 road game at PSU
2012 Michigan
2013 Virginia Tech
2014 West Virginia
2015 Wisconsin
2016 USC
2017 FSU
2018 Louisville
2019 Duke
2020 USC
2021 Miami
2022 road game at Texas
2023 home game vs. Texas (Saban will be 72 years old)

Last edited:
Wow that Duke/Alabama game is going to be an absolutely legendary annihilation. The last go around Alabama won by 49 and their offense was nowhere close to this level.

Is the chick-fil-a kickoff game that desperate that they couldn't find someone better than Duke to play Alabama the opening weekend?

I mean Louisville played bama this year. That certainly wasn't any better

that's really strange - Saban has been at Alabama for 12 seasons now, and they have played two OOC road games - Duke in 2010 and Penn State in 2012

Saban loves him some neutral sites - and one of these teams is not like the others. Here is the P5 OOC opponent for Bama from 2007-2023 (neutral site unless noted):

2007 FSU
2008 Clemson
2009 Virginia Tech
2011 road game at PSU
2012 Michigan
2013 Virginia Tech
2014 West Virginia
2015 Wisconsin
2016 USC
2017 FSU
2018 Louisville
2019 Duke
2020 USC
2021 Miami
2022 road game at Texas

You are correct, that was the back-end of a home-and-home that started in Alabama in 2006 under Mike Shula. Alabama tried hard to move it to a neutral site (in fact, outgoing AD Joe Alleva was all set to sign a deal to play the return game in the Georgia Dome but it never happened before he left for LSU, according to Tony Barnhart of the AJC), but they ended up keeping it in Durham. Alabama was up 28-3 by the end of the first quarter and rolled. That team (#1 in the country to start the season) somehow finished 4th in the SEC West that year.

The latest bowl projections have us playing Purdue in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec 26.
The prognosticators have faith that we'll win at least one more game.
Hoping they're right.

Joe Gigs thinks we're St. Pete bound if we get to 6-6. GASPARILLLLLLLA

Joe Gigs thinks we're St. Pete bound if we get to 6-6. GASPARILLLLLLLA

Actually it moves to Raymond James Stadium this year. Huge upgrade.

The latest bowl projections have us playing Purdue in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec 26.
The prognosticators have faith that we'll win at least one more game.
Hoping they're right.

I would love if we ended up playing Purdue in that bowl, hope that happens.

I'd be overjoyed with any bowl game, but we would be very lucky if our "shitty" bowl happened to be the Gasparilla Bowl against a decent AAC team or Quick Lane vs. a decent Big Ten team.

2007 FSU
2008 Clemson
2009 Virginia Tech
2011 road game at PSU
2012 Michigan
2013 Virginia Tech
2014 West Virginia
2015 Wisconsin
2016 USC
2017 FSU
2018 Louisville
2019 Duke
2020 USC
2021 Miami
2022 road game at Texas

That's 'Bama's secret. They will start the season with a neutral site game, where 80,000 of their fans can plan the trip. Its a home away from home game.

Clawson is 2-0 in bowls at WF. In both games, he faced teams that had lost their head coach. Let's make it 3-0.

Back