• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

Austin is a really good color guy. Enjoyed listening to him.

I’m impressed that this team could lose as much firepower from the fall as they lost and still find a way to win games. It’s great to watch.

I also don’t think I’ll ever get tired of watching Kyle Holcomb pressure the ball as a striker, that dude straight up never stops running

Good win. First time watching an entire game. It's hard to believe that ten players left the team and the level of play is this skilled. GTHC.

MLS Draft happens in January, so the only loss risks are foreign players signing contracts (unlikely) or Homegrown candidates. Of our current players, I'd guess Tubbs might be the most likely to get a HG deal, but typically those happen in January/prior to the MLS season as well. Nico's likely too short to garner interest as a top flight CB, even if he's quite good. Maybe Takuma?

Oh, and we also have the top-ranked recruiting class coming in, sort of: half of them are already on-campus and training, but are ineligible for this spring because the NCAA has its head stuck up its ass.

Fuck that Seton Hall goalie, you're no Adrian.

I hope Indiana slaughter them

As someone who has never followed soccer, why did vidovich leave for Pitt?

As someone who has never followed soccer, why did vidovich leave for Pitt?

He didn't, at least not directly.

It should probably also be noted that our program was in a bit of a lull. Jay's final few years definitely weren't bad, but there was a feeling of stagnation; his last five years we had a cumulative record of 47-34-19 combined with early ACC/NCAA exits, which is... fine, but when it's bookended by a 79-11-10 run from 2006-2009 and then Bobby's 103-17-12 mark over the last six years, it really does stand out.

One of the legendary college coaches, Caleb Porter of Akron, gets offered the Portland Timbers head coaching position in MLS, and he asks Jay to come help as the Portland Timbers 2 coach (essentially their minor league affiliate). I want to say that there was some friction between Jay and Wellman over the years, and I remember hearing that it was about the salary of the assistant coaches, that was something of a wedge issue and helped push him out the door. It's also pretty rare for college coaches to get the opportunity to move up to the pro ranks, so from a professional developmental standpoint it sorta made sense I guess? Anyway, he spent one year there and hated it. The following year Pitt was looking to make a significant investment in its moribund soccer programs (both men and women), and they made Jay an offer to be one of the highest paid coaches in college soccer. (They also hired away Notre Dame's highly successful women's coach; ND was a women's powerhouse at that point and hasn't really recovered.) Jay's turned the program completely around in five years, and keep in mind that their results this year have come without their projected best player, who was kicked off the team in the fall for undisclosed reasons.

All told, I think most Wake people are happy for him; the parting wasn't particularly acrimonious for the fans, and given the lull we were in a change in direction seems like a benefit to both parties here. He's also a pretty congenial guy generally. If there's a team to cheer for as a secondary rooting interest, I think Pitt's as good as anyone.

Last edited:
Enjoyed watching it. I'm not a soccer expert but it seemed like very physical play. Our guys are fun to watch. Will definitely be tuning in Monday to watch us take it to the Goats.

Enjoyed watching it. I'm not a soccer expert but it seemed like very physical play. Our guys are fun to watch. Will definitely be tuning in Monday to watch us take it to the Goats.

Thank God Stanford are out. They make last night's "physical play" look like a 3rd grade dance recital.

Any ideas on ways to get tickets for Monday?

Know someone on the team? I don't think they will be selling any general public tickets until the semis/final, when they move the matches into the main stadium.

The boys made it a little too interesting for me at the end, but it all worked out. When do we play the goats?

I follow our soccer team but not super close. I did not realize until last night we lost 10 players from last years team, 6 of those going to the pros. It's pretty amazing we are as competitive as we are. This must be what it's like being a Duke or UNC basketball fan. Bring them in, win, let them go pro, repeat.

Thank God Stanford are out. They make last night's "physical play" look like a 3rd grade dance recital.

Yeah if we get past the goats it's nice that Clemson and Stanford are out. Not sure who else is in it but I know those 2 programs are great.

I'm calling it now. Cinderella story, from out of nowhere, the WFU soccer team, decimated by half the team from the fall leaving, wins the NCAA championship with a bunch of youngsters.

Deacs beat Carolina back in the fall 1-0 in OT

how much attrition did UNC have after the fall portion of the season?

Deacs beat Carolina back in the fall 1-0 in OT

how much attrition did UNC have after the fall portion of the season?

Very little attrition, it would appear. Only one starter from the first game in the fall did not see action against Stanford.

I follow our soccer team but not super close. I did not realize until last night we lost 10 players from last years team, 6 of those going to the pros. It's pretty amazing we are as competitive as we are. This must be what it's like being a Duke or UNC basketball fan. Bring them in, win, let them go pro, repeat.

Slight correction: 10 players from THIS YEAR'S TEAM

Back