• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word on Wilson is that he’s taking a hit for “character” issues, namely being d bag. Seriously. I’ll pass on the next Johnny football.

I wouldn't even mind Fields, but...

Other than playing QB for tOSU and being black, Fields and Haskins have nothing in common. Fields was a unanimous top 5 pick entering the season. Haskins was a complete unknown who started for one year. And what I said still holds true. Haskins NFL issues clearly appear to be mostly between the ears.

Anyways, this is all hypothetical, as Fields won’t make it past 5 (probably 2).

The last Ohio State quarterback who had a meaningful NFL career was Tom Tupa. Unfortunately his career only blossomed when he became a full time punter.

Other than playing QB for tOSU and being black, Fields and Haskins have nothing in common. Fields was a unanimous top 5 pick entering the season. Haskins was a complete unknown who started for one year. And what I said still holds true. Haskins NFL issues clearly appear to be mostly between the ears.

Anyways, this is all hypothetical, as Fields won’t make it past 5 (probably 2).

I don't know what you saw on Sunday to make you think your opinion holds true, but I can assure you that Haskins does not have the accuracy to be an elite NFL QB.

In any event, the point was not that the two players are similar, but that your opinions on tOFU QB's, and really any tOFU players, should be taken with a sizable grain of salt.

I don't know what you saw on Sunday to make you think your opinion holds true, but I can assure you that Haskins does not have the accuracy to be an elite NFL QB.

In any event, the point was not that the two players are similar, but that your opinions on tOFU QB's, and really any tOFU players, should be taken with a sizable grain of salt.

Ah yes, because you can judge a QB's career on less than one full season of NFL starts for a dump of a franchise whose best offensive weapon was the WR3 for his college team (go Buckeyes!). A QB who broke most/all of Drew Brees B1G passing records. But I appreciate your assurance, OGB resident QB guru.

I don't think it's likely he ever becomes an "elite" NFL QB, and that was probably too strong a word to use from the beginning, but still think he could carve out a decent NFL career. Hell, I'd rather have him as a backup than Walker or Grier if no one else wants him and he's dirt cheap.

Ah yes, because you can judge a QB's career on less than one full season of NFL starts for a dump of a franchise whose best offensive weapon was the WR3 for his college team (go Buckeyes!). A QB who broke most/all of Drew Brees B1G passing records. But I appreciate your assurance, OGB resident QB guru.

I don't think it's likely he ever becomes an "elite" NFL QB, and that was probably too strong a word to use from the beginning, but still think he could carve out a decent NFL career. Hell, I'd rather have him as a backup than Walker or Grier if no one else wants him and he's dirt cheap.

To be fair, the only reason he has less than a full season of starts is because he lost his job to Kyle Allen. In that same offense and with those same offenses, non-elite NFL QB Allen had a QB rating more than 25 points higher than Haskins's and a QBR more than double his (73.5 to 30.7). Haskins's numbers do fare better in comparison to, and are only slightly worse than, those of the 36-year-old who hadn't played in 2 years and almost had his leg amputated.

I could certainly see Haskins as a career back-up if he gets his head on straight. I hope he does.

I don't buy into this don't draft Fields because OSU has never had a great pro QB logic. That's the same thing people were saying 4-5 years ago about never take a B-12 QB because that league doesn't play D. Mahomes, Mayfield and Murray have disproved that old logic. You base your drafting decisions on the tape, combine results, interviews and background checks, not what conference/school a certain player played in/for.

I don't buy into this don't draft Fields because OSU has never had a great pro QB logic. That's the same thing people were saying 4-5 years ago about never take a B-12 QB because that league doesn't play D. Mahomes, Mayfield and Murray have disproved that old logic. You base your drafting decisions on the tape, combine results, interviews and background checks, not what conference/school a certain player played in/for.

Mahomes, Mayfield, and Murray were drafted in the first round. What great Big 12 quarterback from 5 years ago did the NFL miss out on because of this supposed bias and how did it change so much from 2015 and 2016 to 2017 when Mahomes was drafted ?

Mahomes, Mayfield, and Murray were drafted in the first round. What great Big 12 quarterback from 5 years ago did the NFL miss out on because of this supposed bias and how did it change so much from 2015 and 2016 to 2017 when Mahomes was drafted ?

No one. But the knock at the time on Mahomes was a B-12 QB, and that probably adversely affected his draft stock because he was the 3rd QB taken and was selected in the 10-12 range. And he had a much more productive 2.5 year college career than Trubisky did, who was taken at #2. I'm just saying don't write off a player at a certain position because of the school or conference he played in.

This. Rivera has done a good job this season (thank you Jack Del Rio) after inheriting a dumpster fire but it's mind boggling that he didn't pull Haskins prior to the 4th qtr.

Especially if the rumors are true that he wanted to cut dipshit Haskins early last week prior to the Carolina debacle but was talked out of it by others in the organization.

It's not mind boggling to me, as he likely wanted to make sure everyone saw one last time just how inept Haskins was. Heineke only joined the practice squad three weeks ago so it's not certain he even knows his wide receivers.

I'm not sure Haskins will ever see anything more than a practice squad at this point. He's awful and the whole league knows it.

Haskins couldn’t even beat out the two QBs the Panthers let go in favor of Walker or Grier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back