• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so. The QB position is primarily an "above the shoulders" position. The physicality is often overstated. I think Mac checks a very important box for smarts and meets min standards on physicality. Sure, you'd like to get everything, and there are several big armed QB's who did well (Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, John Elway, et al), but there's also a lot of failures bc of the ten cent head on top the million dollar arm. Also several HOF with average arms but smart.

I think so. Don’t think Tepper would fly to Mobile to see a later round QB or any other potential non-QB first rounder.

I said on the other football thread that Jones is growing on me. He doesn't have a true rifle, but he makes great decisions and is accurate. And he reportedly impressed at practice last week. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the 3rd or 4th QB off the board. And I still bet that Detroit doesn't take a QB in the 1st this year and limps through the next year or 2 with Goff. Most of their WRs are FAs this offseason, and I think they'd love to land Smith or Chase at #7.

If they suck with Goff, they’ll be well positioned to take a QB next season.

If they suck with Goff, they’ll be well positioned to take a QB next season.

Exactly. They're rebuilding and can be completely done with his contract in 2 years. This was a good deal for Detroit. While you're rebuilding, take on a bad contract for 2 1sts and a 3rd. Stafford wanted out anyway. And I expect they'll be bad enough next year to get a QB. Right now, I'd pick them, Houston and a couple of NFCE teams to have top 5 picks.

That's like saying the Panthers were bad enough last year to get a quarterback at #8. There's a lot of variability in QB talent after Lawrence. Goff had a bad year but his completion % has remained steady and is two years removed form the Super Bowl year when he threw 32 TDs and had 12 INTs and was a Pro Bowl selection. As bad as the Lions were last year and as hard as they and the Panthers appear to have an interest in tanking, There's no guarantee they don't wind up going 5-11 again next year, like the Panthers did this year with a new head coach and new quarterback.

That's like saying the Panthers were bad enough last year to get a quarterback at #8. There's a lot of variability in QB talent after Lawrence. Goff had a bad year but his completion % has remained steady and is two years removed form the Super Bowl year when he threw 32 TDs and had 12 INTs and was a Pro Bowl selection. As bad as the Lions were last year and as hard as they and the Panthers appear to have an interest in tanking, There's no guarantee they don't wind up going 5-11 again next year, like the Panthers did this year with a new head coach and new quarterback.

No it isn't. The Panthers have one 1st round pick. The Lions will have two 2022 1st round picks and two 2023 1st round picks. That's enough to get whatever QB they want in the 2022 draft.

Fair enough, but the Lions have holes all over their roster and the price of trading into the top 3 to get the QB you really want is pretty high. I guess the top guys heading into next season would be Slovis, Sam Howell, Purdy, maybe JT Daniels and Michael Penix.

Your point still stands. Got it.

Actually your point stands, but there is a little nuance.

Panthers did not like Mac, Jamie, or Mond after the Senior Bowl week

After making a strong run at Matthew Stafford, where do Panthers go from here? https://theathletic.com/2360439/2021/02/02/panthers-quarterback-deshaun-watson-teddy-bridgewater/

“Based on what I saw and heard from scouts who were in Mobile, I don’t think the Panthers will be trading back for Mac Jones, Jamie Newman, Kellen Mond or any of the other Senior Bowl quarterbacks. It was an underwhelming week for them — they generally looked more like backups at the next level.”

Lots of good info here. The Panthers offered a 1st and later pick for Stafford and one of the best offers until the Rams stepped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back