• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
also robbie and dj are on the last years of their contract and I don't think we're gunning for a super bowl next year so i'm absolutely fine with having a crowded receiver room for a year

Sure. Does a team with CMC, Anderson, and DJ need a #1 pass catching option at TE more than other key positions with the #8 pick?

I've seen at least one mock with Sewell slipping to or past #8. This one has us taking Slater over Sewell.
https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-2021-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-patriots-49ers-select-qbs-in-round-1

I don't care what mocks say. Sewell ain't slipping past #5. And if Miami doesn't trade for Watson and keeps Tua, they may take Sewell at #3.

And Brews, there aren't any DBs worth a top 10 selection this year.

Is Tepper really very much involved in personnel decisions? Or just veto power? Doesn’t seem like the best scenario if the owner is too into what goes on on the field

Personally I don’t think trading for Watson will be the best solution for the Panthers. Not the type of thing successful franchises would do IMO. I think it would cripple short term ability to put talent around him via draft and also that some of the existing young talent on defense would have to go out the door also

I like surtain but to each their own

For me, he got beat too much to go in the top 10. I think he and Farley will go more in the teens. The top 8 should include 3-4 QBs, Sewell, Smith, Chase, Parsons and Pitts.

Is Tepper really very much involved in personnel decisions? Or just veto power? Doesn’t seem like the best scenario if the owner is too into what goes on on the field

Personally I don’t think trading for Watson will be the best solution for the Panthers. Not the type of thing successful franchises would do IMO. I think it would cripple short term ability to put talent around him via draft and also that some of the existing young talent on defense would have to go out the door also

I tend too agree. Price likely is too high

2020 Carolina Panthers - New GM Scott Fitterer (Seahawks VP of Football Operations)

Panthers offered #8, the 5th, and Teddy B for Stafford. That’s a reasonable offer.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-no-8-pick-teddy-bridgewater-matthew-stafford

I get the feeling the Texans are going to botch this Watson situation somehow. They seem to think they can keep him. If they don’t trade him before the draft, I don’t think they’ll be able to command a large package and obviously not one that will give them 1st and 2nd round picks in this draft to make up for the ones they lost.

I like surtain but to each their own

i like surtain but not at 8

i feel like there's not a STUD shutdown top 10 CB like we've seen in years past, but there are a lot of guys that would start for the panthers with later picks - the two GA CBs (Campbell and Stokes), Shaun Wade, Ambry Thomas, Asante Samuel Jr.

and i would LOVE to see a late round pick-up of Thomas Graham out of Oregon. not a "measurables" guy but he's really good at playing football and should be around in the 4th round or later after sitting out 2020.

why didn't we just lose to the washington football team, would've helped a lot

i really hope we don't trade for wentz

So if you don't pay the huge haul for Watson, who do you want as your QB next year? And as a practical matter, I think Wentz ends up in Indy. The Bears are an absolute mess on offense with a coach and GM who probably get fired after next season. I doubt Wentz wants any part of that.

i like surtain but not at 8

i feel like there's not a STUD shutdown top 10 CB like we've seen in years past, but there are a lot of guys that would start for the panthers with later picks - the two GA CBs (Campbell and Stokes), Shaun Wade, Ambry Thomas, Asante Samuel Jr.

and i would LOVE to see a late round pick-up of Thomas Graham out of Oregon. not a "measurables" guy but he's really good at playing football and should be around in the 4th round or later after sitting out 2020.

As a Buckeye & Panther fan, I do NOT want Shaun Wade. Dude had a comically bad year.

Panthers are not involved in Wentz trade talks

Yeah, the reported interested teams are Indy, Chi, NE and LV. I don't get LV, unless that's just bad info. Carr is more reliable and cheaper, but Gruden has the reputation of flirting with other QBs.

Edited to add the Texans have apparently inquired as to Wentz, which could say a lot about how they view Darnold, Wilson, Tua and Garrapolo. But they also have negative cap space, so they'd have to move a lot of $$ to acquire Wentz. I think Houston's best move is to start over with Wilson. I was also looking at Over the Cap earlier today, and Philly is the 2nd most over the cap team heading into the offseason at $49mil. Only NO is worse off. The surprising team with $60+mil of cap space is Indy. If they land a QB, they could be really good next year.

Last edited:
Buckets, can you answer my question? If you don't want a rookie QB or Wentz, and you can't get Watson, who do you want? Vegas is now apparently getting interest in Mariota, who is only due $10mil this year, which is the end of his contract. That would be a cheap prove it contract, though I don't know how much of an upgrade he'd be over Bridgewater. He's got way better wheels, but he was never that effective a passer in Tennessee, though he did look good in that 1 game when he had to come in last year. So it's an open question whether Mariota is just not that great, or is he the next Tannehill, who wasn't a good fit for what Tennessee was running.

Teams are calling the Seahawks about Russ. The Cowboys left Dak out of a hype video.

Looks like any QB in the league except Brady, Mahomes, and Stafford could be available for the right price.

Moved to Nashville a few years back and Mariota soured for this fan base REAL quickly after his rookie year. I don't see any reason to bring him in after letting Cam leave, as he has similar concerns with whether or not he will ever be able to return to his previous self due to injury, and his previous self isn't close to what Cam was.

Buckets, can you answer my question? If you don't want a rookie QB or Wentz, and you can't get Watson, who do you want? Vegas is now apparently getting interest in Mariota, who is only due $10mil this year, which is the end of his contract. That would be a cheap prove it contract, though I don't know how much of an upgrade he'd be over Bridgewater. He's got way better wheels, but he was never that effective a passer in Tennessee, though he did look good in that 1 game when he had to come in last year. So it's an open question whether Mariota is just not that great, or is he the next Tannehill, who wasn't a good fit for what Tennessee was running.

I really like Zach Wilson (even trading up for him) or Justin Fields if he falls to 8

I'd also be good with Mac Jones or Trask in the 2nd round

Not a fan of Trey Lance in the 1st round or Mariota

Russell Wilson is an interesting longshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back