• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
[h=2]Panthers 2020 undrafted free agents[/h] Cam Sutton, TE, Fresno State
Brandon Bowen, OT, Ohio State
Rodney Smith, RB, Minnesota
Chris Orr, LB, Wisconsin
Mike Horton, G, Auburn
TreVontae Hights, WR, TCU
Omar Bayless, WR, Arkansas State
Fred Mauigoa, C, Washington State
Myles Adams, DT, Rice
Myles Hartsfield, CB, Ole Miss
Giovanni Ricci, TE, Western Michigan

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2020/4/25/21236624/carolina-panthers-2020-nfl-draft-udfa-tracker

Even the UDFAs are mostly in positions where guys could actually make the team. Both WR have size. Bayless was the Sun Belt POY.

Nice. Bowen has a lot of experience playing both G and OT on elite OLs at OSU. Bet he will make the team, mostly at G.

Orr had 14 TFLs and 11.5 sacks last year as an ILB. That's pretty damn impressive. Jim Leonard at Wisconsin is a hell of a defensive coordinator, and Orr should have a decent chance to beat out some of the current young, unimpressive thus far, LBs to make the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the tight ends sticks with the team. Our current tight ends are Ian Thomas, who did nothing in his first two years; Chris Mannhertz who picked up footbal at a late age and is a blocker, some guy from Princeton named Seth DeValve who was a 4th round draft pick of the Browns four years ago and caught 33 balls in 2017, and Tamarrick Hemingway who appears to have zero catches in four years.

New TE coach had an 80-minute Facetime call with Sutton a couple of weeks ago, but it sounds like this guy needs a year on the practice squad.

Sutton is another prospect who likely isn’t on many fans’ radar. He played in only 10 games over the last two seasons, totaling nine catches, 154 yards and no touchdowns.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/10/panthers-facetime-cameron-sutton-fresno-state/

I disagree. I think we are going to be in 3WR sets most of the time. FB Armah could be an H-Back as well. I think we will be fine with Thomas and Manhertz. Would have been nice to get Thaddeus Moss as a UFA to play for the hometown team and his old OC.

Maybe, but it would be nice to have a decent pass catching TE, which we currently do not.

Maybe, but it would be nice to have a decent pass catching TE, which we currently do not.

Thomas didn't do anything last year?

I'm still having a hard time figuring out if our receivers aren't very good or Kyle Allen and Will Grier just suck.

He had 16 catches last year. He actually had a better 2018 (36 catches) than I gave him credit for when Olsen was hurt. Still not impressed.

Thomas is a question mark. Replacing him isn’t a priority. He needs another year to prove himself. I don’t think we need a dynamic playmaker at TE. If we don’t, Armah and Manhertz are serviceable.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the tight ends sticks with the team. Our current tight ends are Ian Thomas, who did nothing in his first two years; Chris Mannhertz who picked up footbal at a late age and is a blocker, some guy from Princeton named Seth DeValve who was a 4th round draft pick of the Browns four years ago and caught 33 balls in 2017, and Tamarrick Hemingway who appears to have zero catches in four years.

New TE coach had an 80-minute Facetime call with Sutton a couple of weeks ago, but it sounds like this guy needs a year on the practice squad.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/10/panthers-facetime-cameron-sutton-fresno-state/

Ian Thomas had some good games as I recall when Olsen was hurt. What happened to him?

For me, TE was right behind OL and the entire defense as draft priorities.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/04/2020-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

1.07 – Derrick Brown (IDL – Auburn)
2.38 – Yetur Gross-Matos (EDGE – Penn State)
3.64 (from Seahawks) – Jeremy Chinn (S – Southern Illinois)
4.113 – Troy Pride (CB – Notre Dame)
5.152 – Kenny Robinson (S – West Virginia)
6.184 – Bravvion Roy (IDL – Baylor)
7.221 – Stanley Thomas-Oliver (CB – Florida International)

We knew the Panthers would need to address the many holes they have on defense, but passing on Isaiah Simmons may come back to haunt them. You can’t be mad they took all defense with every single pick, though there’s a concern on the interior of their offensive line with John Miller and Tyler Larsen projected to be the starters at guard. Still, Brown, Gross-Matos, Chinn, and Pride were all rock-solid picks. Waiting to snag a cornerback until the fourth round was bold, and they’re lucky Pride was still available. I still believe they need more talent at cornerback considering the division they play in. It’s tough to find a standout player in the fifth round and beyond, so we can’t criticize their picks there too much.

DRAFT GRADE: B+

I'm guessing we get a FA CB. Logan Ryan and Eli Apple are still available.

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/04/2020-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

1.07 – Derrick Brown (IDL – Auburn)
2.38 – Yetur Gross-Matos (EDGE – Penn State)
3.64 (from Seahawks) – Jeremy Chinn (S – Southern Illinois)
4.113 – Troy Pride (CB – Notre Dame)
5.152 – Kenny Robinson (S – West Virginia)
6.184 – Bravvion Roy (IDL – Baylor)
7.221 – Stanley Thomas-Oliver (CB – Florida International)

We knew the Panthers would need to address the many holes they have on defense, but passing on Isaiah Simmons may come back to haunt them. You can’t be mad they took all defense with every single pick, though there’s a concern on the interior of their offensive line with John Miller and Tyler Larsen projected to be the starters at guard. Still, Brown, Gross-Matos, Chinn, and Pride were all rock-solid picks. Waiting to snag a cornerback until the fourth round was bold, and they’re lucky Pride was still available. I still believe they need more talent at cornerback considering the division they play in. It’s tough to find a standout player in the fifth round and beyond, so we can’t criticize their picks there too much.

DRAFT GRADE: B+

WTF. Good draft, but would have been better if they had two more picks in the first round to draft more great players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back