• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers - New Season New Thread for 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I calculated all of our failed drives this season - drives which ended in a punt, missed FG, or ended on downs. I didn’t include turnovers or clock killing drives, because those results aren’t a result of scheme. That left 16 drives which failed - our average was 20 yards gained on those drives for 325yds total. Of those 16 failed drives, only 5 were less than 10 yards gained, and 3 of those drives were in the San Diego game. So that leaves 4 games where we only had 2 total drive less than 10 yards.
Cool story nerd.

I calculated all of our failed drives this season - drives which ended in a punt, missed FG, or ended on downs. I didn’t include turnovers or clock killing drives, because those results aren’t a result of scheme. That left 16 drives which failed - our average was 20 yards gained on those drives for 325yds total. Of those 16 failed drives, only 5 were less than 10 yards gained, and 3 of those drives were in the San Diego game. So that leaves 4 games where we only had 2 total drive less than 10 yards.

What I’ve noticed about this offense is the consistency. The last few years our offense has been so boom or bust with sacks and missed throws. This years offense seems to move the ball on nearly every drive, even when when we don’t score. Getting the ball to at least midfield on offense is very important for giving the defense a rest and also helping them avoid short field scores.

This quote from last week's CSR MMO captures this new coaching dynamic.
https://www.catscratchreader.com/20...cardinals-good-bye-trevor-lawrence-hello-2020

Rhule is buying a lot of credit from fans with his ‘possessing the ball as a means of scoring points’ philosophy versus the old ‘scoring points is a by product of winning the time of possession.’

If you go into the linked with the Cardinals writer, it talks a lot about the culture shift of franchise that has always had defensive coaches. I think our fanbase has a lot of learned helplessness from 25+ years of consistent 3 and outs, punting on 4th and short from midfield, not recognizing 4 down territory, and poor clock management. Much of that is from having defense-minded coaches with an 80s mindset coaching an new offensive minded league.

Think about it. Capers, Seifert, and Fox came from college into the NFL in 80s as DB coaches. Rivera was a LB for the Bears in the 80s. Rhule is the first modern coach and the first offensive coach we've had.

Repeating myself, but Matt Rhule must have the best organizational skills on the planet. I don't see how he's done what he's been able to do.

Former Bucs coach and current Falcons DC Raheem Morris named interim HC.

Repeating myself, but Matt Rhule must have the best organizational skills on the planet. I don't see how he's done what he's been able to do.

agreed

amazing what he's done with no offseason and a cobbled together roster

Brees has really regressed. This division is wide open right now. Really fun matchup against the Bears this weekend for Mike Davis. It should be a lot of tough running but we have a better passing game and they have a better pass rush.

Brees has really regressed. This division is wide open right now. Really fun matchup against the Bears this weekend for Mike Davis. It should be a lot of tough running but we have a better passing game and they have a better pass rush.

For a guy who says he always runs pissed off I'm eager to see how pissed he is this weekend

It's been awhile since I've been this excited for a Panthers game.

Saints and Bucs will both be improved once they have Thomas, Evans and Godwin entirely healthy, so winning the NFCS this year might be a stretch. But after this year, Brees will be retired, and the Saints will be paying for their pushing the salary cap. And the Falcons will be in complete rebuild and will likely be trading Ryan this offseason if they land a top 3 pick.

Yeah. Thomas, Evans, Godwin, Julio. Some of the best offensive players in the league aren't entirely healthy. Good thing the Panthers aren't missing an elite offensive player who some would say is the best in the league at his position. Yep. Panthers are 100% healthy right now.

Yeah. Thomas, Evans, Godwin, Julio. Some of the best offensive players in the league aren't entirely healthy. Good thing the Panthers aren't missing an elite offensive player who some would say is the best in the league at his position. Yep. Panthers are 100% healthy right now.

:) They're actually 0-2 with and 3-0 without their 1K/1K RB, and Davis is performing well in his absence. I'm not suggesting it won't be nice to get McCaffrey back - merely that it hasn't adversely affected the Panthers as badly as losing Thomas, Evans and Godwin has affected the Saints and Bucs offenses. NO frankly hasn't looked good since that week 1 win over Tampa. Brees relies heavily on Thomas, Brady isn't going to light it up with TEs and back-ups at WR. I'm also still trying to figure out why the NYJ let Anderson walk, and the only thing I'm coming up with is it's because they're the NYJ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back