• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought on the replay it looked like he got his hand under it. Did not see it definitively hitting the ground IMO.

The only thing I can think of is the officials assumed it hit the ground and ruled it incomplete because he adjusted it.

What about the ball completely missing his hands until it got to his knees? Reid whiffed on the gimmie and it gave the refs a chance to step in

Wait seriously?

Defender makes a diving play on a ball, catches it and we're gon criticize how he caught it?

I'm sure this criticism would be leveled no matter the individual catching it...

Wait seriously?

Defender makes a diving play on a ball, catches it and we're gon criticize how he caught it?

I'm sure this criticism would be leveled no matter the individual catching it...

Actually yeah I'd criticize any NFL player that attempted to make a catch and it completely missed their hands

A receiver I get it. They know where the ball's going, they have rhythm with a QB, they're running a route, etc.

I don't think defenders should ever be criticized for how they catch a ball. It's pure reaction

Last edited:
Damn. I knew SD3 hated Reid’s knee but this is going too far.

It also doesn't/shouldn't matter how you catch a football. The standard norm is to catch with your hands and bring it in, but you can catch it under your damn armpit and if it stays in your possession it's a catch. A catch doesn't have to be textbook and pretty.

Mike Adams should have made a clean catch on the following pass as well, though it was much tougher catch in comparison. Reids was a layup

I still think he caught it and it absolutely should not have been overturned based on the rule and replays provided, but its definitely reasonable to question how he initially whiffed it with his hands before hitting his knees

There are some tings in sports I just will never understand from people who have played their sport every day of their lives. Catching a football is one. Falling on a fumble is another. And how can you play basketball every day all day your whole life and as a pro not be able to hit 75% of your foul shots?

Bottom line is it was initially called an INT on the field, and I've seen no replay that makes it absolutely definitive that the ball hit the ground, thus, officials were wrong and we got hosed. If we had lost that play would have been the story (at least for Panther fans)

Also big thanks to Clete Blakeman who can also see two false starts on FG attempts, but not an obvious offsides on a FG in a Super Bowl. Keep it up buddy! Your'e doing a great job!

Plus we also got screwed by the Cotchery review in the Super Bowl by Blakeman.

Last edited:
Weird play all around. Once they called it an interception on the field, I thought that it would stand because there wasn't a single shot of the ball on the ground (still haven't seen one). I don't know how you can say there is irrefutable evidence that Reid didn't catch the ball when there isn't a single picture of the ball, even in a single frame, touching the ground. It may have been on the ground at some point or it may have been resting on Reid's arm, but there wasn't a shot of the former so therefore it should've stood as a pick.

Weird play all around. Once they called it an interception on the field, I thought that it would stand because there wasn't a single shot of the ball on the ground (still haven't seen one). I don't know how you can say there is irrefutable evidence that Reid didn't catch the ball when there isn't a single picture of the ball, even in a single frame, touching the ground. It may have been on the ground at some point or it may have been resting on Reid's arm, but there wasn't a shot of the former so therefore it should've stood as a pick.

yup

A receiver I get it. They know where the ball's going, they have rhythm with a QB, they're running a route, etc.

I don't think defenders should ever be criticized for how they catch a ball. It's pure reaction

If someone is an NFL-caliber athlete, especially a DB, chances are they were the best player on every team they have ever been on until maybe college if not further. That means that, regardless of where they play in college/NFL, in high school and lower they were the QB, RB, WR, and probably the kicker. That is ~13 years of practices, games, and camps. They know the fundamentals of the sport like catching the ball.

That's like giving a baseball pitcher a pass for having to cover first base. Yes he is a pitcher now, but from t-ball through little league and high school he was also the first baseman, shortstop, center fielder, catcher, and probably the DH. Dude knows how to cover first base, it isn't any different in MLB than it is in little league.

Truly shocking 2&2 would be on this side of the argument.

Reacting and diving to catch a ball falling to the ground -- when you catch maybe five balls throughout an entire season if you're really lucky -- with one of your teammates about to run into you is so easy you guys !

Catching passes from NFL QB's rocketing them in with the game on the line is not easy.

The ball was a wobbly wounded duck. I can't get a replay to load on my phone right now, but I suspect that played into the fact that he didn't catch it cleanly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back