• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moore's 82-yard reception was the longest play from scrimmage without a TD since 2015

Still can't believe he got caught....sounds like Funchess was mad at himself for not blocking Slay downfield.

Game had like a half dozen plays where if any single one of them goes our way we win yesterday. Very frustrating

Still can't believe he got caught....sounds like Funchess was mad at himself for not blocking Slay downfield.

This game will make sense when Funchess gets a big free agent deal from his hometown Lions.

For the record, Funchess is in his 4th year yet he's 6 months younger than Golladay, a 2nd year player.

This game will make sense when Funchess gets a big free agent deal from his hometown Lions.

For the record, Funchess is in his 4th year yet he's 6 months younger than Golladay, a 2nd year player.

And Golladay is x10 better

I was hoping we would see a little more Ian Thomas this year. Rookie TEs almost always don’t do anything but still...

Meh, don't need him currently and he had a pretty terrible drop that hurt in the ATL game (we scored, but it cost us 2 minutes of game time in the end)

I really thought Poe would essentially be the same as Star, but given how mediocre, at best, our rush defense has been, it would appear we downgraded significantly. That and Luke seems to be playing more hesitantly.

This is probably a no no on here but I think Cam just is not a good QB. Every game I watch, he only looks at one or two receivers on every pass play. After 6 years in the league he should be able to go through a progression and he doesn't or can't. There always seem to be a WR open on the back side of every play where Cam isn't looking. It looks to me like he only looks at half the field on a play, something they did for him on purpose early in his career. The guy truly has a million dollar arm and a body a DE would die for but his problem is the mental part. He is a HOF Qb just for his rushing TD's and rushing yards plus he has over 25k in passing yards but he is as good as he is ever gonna be and that will never be good enough to win a SB.

This is probably a no no on here but I think Cam just is not a good QB. Every game I watch, he only looks at one or two receivers on every pass play. After 6 years in the league he should be able to go through a progression and he doesn't or can't. There always seem to be a WR open on the back side of every play where Cam isn't looking. It looks to me like he only looks at half the field on a play, something they did for him on purpose early in his career. The guy truly has a million dollar arm and a body a DE would die for but his problem is the mental part. He is a HOF Qb just for his rushing TD's and rushing yards plus he has over 25k in passing yards but he is as good as he is ever gonna be and that will never be good enough to win a SB.

Let me guess

57/M/Belmont?

Only thing I would disagree with is, I think he is a good QB just not a great one. But in today's NFL you pretty much have to be "great" to ascend to Super Bowl-level success. It used to be half the league had QB's good enough to give them a shot at post-season success; seems like maybe 7-8 QB's fit that description now, and it has less to do with a decline in QB play and more to do with the changing nature of the game.

I really thought Poe would essentially be the same as Star, but given how mediocre, at best, our rush defense has been, it would appear we downgraded significantly. That and Luke seems to be playing more hesitantly.

I have said the same thing before and completely agree. There was a reason why the Falcons weren't pushing hard to keep Poe and think they were seeing his decline. That plus the fact I think Pep's age finally caught up to him and KK isn't the force he has been in recent years has resulted in a dramatic decline in the amount of pressure we see the Panthers getting on QBs especially in passing downs. Only 1 sack vs. Det yesterday and not a lot of pressure in a lot of key moments. I think Washington is being forced to blitz LBs and DBs more as only way to get pressure and that is opening up our secondary a lot and we are paying for it.

DE has to be a priority as Pep needs to be only a back up if he even plays next year and we need to have a regular force on the other side of Addison.

Only thing I would disagree with is, I think he is a good QB just not a great one. But in today's NFL you pretty much have to be "great" to ascend to Super Bowl-level success. It used to be half the league had QB's good enough to give them a shot at post-season success; seems like maybe 7-8 QB's fit that description now, and it has less to do with a decline in QB play and more to do with the changing nature of the game.

I think Cam's physical attributes are great, but he just hasn't been able to become mentally NFL great nor consistent in my opinion. Cam regularly takes sacks where the OL has given him time, but he just doesn't have the clock in his head or he thinks he is a lot quicker than he is as if he is going to juke certain defenders and ends up getting sacked and regularly taking Panthers out of FG position or out of a position where going for it on a 4th down would be viable. Take yesterday's game where we had 3rd and 2 @ Det's 4 and he takes a 12 yard loss where if he throws it away it could have been an option to go for it. Or at least a shorter FG that Gano doesn't miss.

Then on another 3rd and 2 he heaves it 30-40 yards on a streak play when we desperately need a first down. Sure if WR is WIDE open go for that but he was clearly in tight coverage. His head first dive in preseason yet another example where the guy just doesn't think like your other savvy vet QBs. Dude save yourself for your family not to mention your multimillion body as a 1st down in preseason isn't worth it. He has been much better this year on his consistency than previous years, but bit him again on 2 point conversion. Granted some of that was on a defender jumping up, but instead of adjusting and trying to lob it in over the outstretched defender he is always firing off his throws. You rarely see Cam use touch on his throws as you might see with a Brady, Favre, etc.

If Butler worked out, we wouldn’t be worried about Poe. If Ealy and Hall worked out, we would be fine on the DL. Bad drafting hurt us.

Cam played a very good game overall yesterday outside of 1 bad read (INT), 1 bad throw (2 pt conversion), and a couple unnecessary sacks. But sure, let's blame him instead of play calling, Funions dropping 5 catchable balls, Bradberry getting burnt repeatedly, complete lack of pass rush, really poor tackling, etc.

You are 100% right.

My theory on Cam is that he is such a freak of nature physically that at every level he played at, he was the best athlete on the field, hands down. Even at Auburn, his size, speed and agility were hard for D1 players to deal with. Once he got to the NFL, he was still one of the best athletes but of course at that level, you are playing the best of the best. His whole playing career, his running and strong arm were always able to mask his deficiencies in reading defenses, rout tree progression, etc. Now, more than ever at the NFL level, you MUST be able to read a defense, understand tendencies and go through a 5 man progression. (Rodgers and Brees are probably the best at this). For the reasons mentioned above I believe Cam has never had to buckle down and learn these things. Another thing Cam has really not developed is his touch on the ball. Too many short passes are missed by guys because they are just rockets or don't have enough loft. Again, the guy is a future HOFer no question but his homework side is where he falls short. After so many years in the league, one has to wonder if the coaches are working toward this end or they just say "he is what he is, lets get what we can out of him."
I for one hope that Norv is meeting with this guy morning, noon and night teaching him defensive theories and what individual players tend to do in certain looks. Knowing how a pass funnel defense works and using that to your advantage versus a 4-3/tampa 2 and where to attack. Carolina's defense is not good enough to win a title this year with an above average QB but if Cam can become elite, they can make a run at the playoffs.

This is a weird post about a guy who was 25/37 for 357 yards and 3 TDs. The pick was on Samuel. Funchess had 5 bad drops.

Cam is working in a young WR corps and CMC. He has his weaknesses like lack of touch but he can run an offense and read the D. His 2 min drill is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back