• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your comments PhKiper.

Rivera has also apprently said that he wants to get a back more similar in style to CMC so we don't have to change the offense every time he gets a breather.

I really like thee Little and Grier picks. :couch:

Little has a ton of talent and I think Grier will be a solid 2nd QB for a decade.

If you dont think we should have taken a QB period, I get it, but I still like the value.

Thanks for your comments PhKiper.

Rivera has also apprently said that he wants to get a back more similar in style to CMC so we don't have to change the offense every time he gets a breather.

Makes sense. I’m all for lightening his load. Not sure we need to draft that back though.

Were there no good CBs left with pick #100?

Between second round pick 5 and 15 (where I understand Panthers were b4 trade), 4 OLs were drafted. So the move made sense. Whether they took the right OL remains to be seen.

there were plenty of good corners avail in 2nd round. greedy williams from lsu was my hope. would have been our first good corner since the gamble days.

Donte Jackson had just as many blown coverages last year as he did good plays...and his inability to keep his composure on the sidelines after getting beat is very telling of corners. you gotta be able to move on quick...and i dont think jackson has that gift. he is fast though!

We did. Jordan Scarlett from UF.

Pretty sure that was after I posted. Or at least I hadn’t seen it when I posted.

Looks like we are drafting for depth instead of need.

I'm really not liking this draft.

I'm right there with you. Horrible management of the first 3 rounds. I didn't bother watching today, or even checking in. Feel like we lost this one already.

Well shit. We don’t need a QB. If we suck so bad with or without Cam, we can just get Tua next year.

Two 3rd round picks and all we got for them is a position we don’t need.

I feel like we need a QB but late in the draft or next season. 3rd round was way to early. While no one wants to hear it and many won't agree with me, I believe Cam's better days are behind him. Give a lot Hurney should have knuckled down on defense with the 2nd and 2x 3rds then pick a QB next season. We'll be drafting top 10 next year.

Pretty much what I though, tbh. FWIW, I’m seeing a lot of praise from the media on our draft.

Peppers retired, we’ve had a speed bump at LT since Gross retired, and there were 8 games last year where our starting QB couldn’t throw the ball over 25 yards.

All of those issues were addressed. Yes, we still have a hole at S, but it’s the cheapest market in the NFL and we have 8m in cap space coming June 1st.

I’m fine with this draft

PFF

Round 1 (14): Edge Brian Burns, Florida State

Round 2 (37): OT Greg Little, Ole Miss

Round 3 (100): QB Will Grier, West Virginia

Round 4 (115): Edge Christian Miller, Alabama

Round 5 (154): RB Jordan Scarlett, Florida

Round 6 (212): OT Dennis Daley, South Carolina

Round 7 (237): WR Terry Godwin, Georgia

Day 1:

A favorite of PFF Senior Content & Strategy Analyst Austin Gayle’s, Florida State edge defender Brian Burns is special. He’s a freakish athlete with great bend that can win outside with the best of them. He’s also a very, very smart player that will only continue to get better at the next level. He also earned a career-high 87.2 overall grade in 2018.

“Burns is much more refined [than Leonard Floyd] in terms of using his hands… So, with the upward trajectory of his career, he’s the kind of guy I bet on to continue to succeed at the NFL level.” – Pro Football Focus’ Lead Draft Analyst Mike Renner

Day 2:

Ole Miss offensive tackle Greg Little and West Virginia signal-caller Will Grier were both top-35 overall players for PFF in this year’s draft. Over the past two seasons, Little allowed all of 26 total pressures on 993 pass-blocking snaps. Grier tied Drew Lock for the NCAA lead with 33 big-time throws and has the second-best best passing grade behind Kyler Murray. Grier won’t start for Carolina, but he’s a capable backup that has a good chance of starting for someone in the NFL in the future.

Day 3:

Carolina’s first two picks of Day 3, former Alabama edge defender Christian Miller and Florida running back Jordan Scarlett, both offer upside if they can put it together at the next level.

Among edge defenders with at least 400 defensive snaps in 2018, Miller ranked 27th in overall grade, tied for 32nd in run-defense grade and tied for 18th in pass-rush grade. He’s a raw prospect with untapped potential having played fewer than 700 defensive snaps in his Crimson tide career.

Scarlett was suspended for the entire 2017 season, putting his future in the NFL in jeopardy. But the Florida back returned to form in 2018, earning the fourth-best rushing grade (86.4) in the 2019 class. He’s a bit of a thumper with surprising speed that should make a living forcing missed tackles in the NFL; he’s a great complement to Christian McCaffrey in Carolina.

DRAFT GRADE: EXCELLENT

We sure love the SEC. I guess that’s the best conference to focus on for the draft if you’re choosing one.

We just really wanna be deep at certain positions and thin as hell at others don't we?

Just like The Ringer argues for a 5 year waiting period for Oscar picks, the same should be done for NFL draft grades. I'd definitely read some 2014 draft grade reviews written today

Not sure if posted already but PFF also loved our draft, esp relative to rest of NFC South

Just like The Ringer argues for a 5 year waiting period for Oscar picks, the same should be done for NFL draft grades. I'd definitely read some 2014 draft grade reviews written today

Here's what CSR thought about our 2014 draft at the time. Spoiler: Kony Ealy got an A.
https://www.catscratchreader.com/2014/5/11/5707734/2014-nfl-draft-carolina-panthers-draft-grades

Grading draft is tricky. This looked like an iffy draft at the time, a great draft 2 years later, and a bad draft now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back