• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I was trying to defend this draft, but shit. Seems like we are exceptionally worried about Cam’s long term health, and I wonder if we are thinking of not resigning him in a couple years. A third round pick on a guy that we hope never has to play?
Patriots have spent 4 picks on QBs higher than where we took Grier in the Brady era. Relax.

Here's what CSR thought about our 2014 draft at the time. Spoiler: Kony Ealy got an A.
https://www.catscratchreader.com/2014/5/11/5707734/2014-nfl-draft-carolina-panthers-draft-grades

Grading draft is tricky. This looked like an iffy draft at the time, a great draft 2 years later, and a bad draft now.

Very subjective. We got a 3rd and a 7th in 2018 for Kelvin,who was released one season after we traded him, but picked up by a Super Bowl contender.

Ealy was a reach, but played 4+ years in the NFL and had a shot at being Super Bowl MVP.

Trai Turner is/was an All Pro.

Boston and Benwikere were average performers for a few years.

Tyler Gaffney is playing minor league baseball.

abc2fe418a7c1fb33ff8e7d30866e1bc.jpg

Just like The Ringer argues for a 5 year waiting period for Oscar picks, the same should be done for NFL draft grades. I'd definitely read some 2014 draft grade reviews written today

I'm not sure that's true. The avg length of an NFL player's career is 3.3 years. Most will not last 5 years. Teams like the Patriots and Seahawks realize this and it's why they stay competitive year end and out. They trade away or let guys walk who many get surprised at in exchange for draft picks. They trade down to gain more 2nd, 3rd round picks.

The nfl is a constant reload league. You're not usually getting talent in any round outside of the first that last 5 years. If they do it's a bonus. With ballooning 2nd contracts and the rookie cap, your better off letting folks go and getting compensation picks.

This is why it makes no sense to draft a backup QB in the 3rd. Later in the draft, sure roll the dice on the next 'brady' but 2nd and 3rd round is what builds the core of NFL Teams.

I'm not sure that's true. The avg length of an NFL player's career is 3.3 years. Most will not last 5 years. Teams like the Patriots and Seahawks realize this and it's why they stay competitive year end and out. They trade away or let guys walk who many get surprised at in exchange for draft picks. They trade down to gain more 2nd, 3rd round picks.

The nfl is a constant reload league. You're not usually getting talent in any round outside of the first that last 5 years. If they do it's a bonus. With ballooning 2nd contracts and the rookie cap, your better off letting folks go and getting compensation picks.

This is why it makes no sense to draft a backup QB in the 3rd. Later in the draft, sure roll the dice on the next 'brady' but 2nd and 3rd round is what builds the core of NFL Teams.

Yet, the Patriots have taken 4 quarterbacks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds over the past 12 years. They've also "rolled the dice" on the next Brady in Rounds 7 and 4 the past two years.

Very subjective. We got a 3rd and a 7th in 2018 for Kelvin,who was released one season after we traded him, but picked up by a Super Bowl contender.

Ealy was a reach, but played 4+ years in the NFL and had a shot at being Super Bowl MVP.

Trai Turner is/was an All Pro.

Boston and Benwikere were average performers for a few years.

Tyler Gaffney is playing minor league baseball.

People greatly overrate the value of an average draft pick. Of the 5 players picked directly ahead of and directly behind Benjamin, he is tied for the second-highest Career AV on Pro Football Reference. That's certainly not a perfect measure, but a couple of those players are clearly better, a couple (including the guy the Patriots took one selection later, Dominique Easley) are clearly worse. A couple of guys taken well before him (Manziel and Pryor) aren't even in the league anymore.

Kony Ealy is a big miss, with 4/5 guys taken behind him being clearly better players (the fifth is no longer in the league). FWIW, 3/5 guys taken before him have lower Career AV's.

Trai Turner has the best AV of the entire third round, and may have been the best player left in the draft at that point. Only Devonta Freeman and Telvin Smith have higher AV's.

Tre Boston has the second-best AV of the guys within 5 picks of him.

Benwikere is middle of the pack at 6th.

Gaffney was obviously a bust, but 6 of those 11 players are no longer in the league.

Drafting is hard. Teams that are good at it generally aren't the ones who get the most value for their picks but who maximize the number of picks they get and therefore have more opportunities to get value.

So they don’t give up a 3rd to trade up in the 2nd.

Basically. I may be contradicting my own point here, but especially not when you've got Hurney's track record of spotting second-round talent. In stint one, out of 11 second-rounders, I count one good player (Kalil), 2 adequate players (Foster, Marshall), 3 fringe players (Martin, Silatolu, Colbert), and 5 busts (Nelson, Shelton, Jarrett, Brown, Clausen). That may be generous.

Just on its face, we entered the draft with three chances to get potential starters in the 2nd and 3rd and Hurney limited it to one by trading up and getting a backup QB.

There’s a good article in CSR about the low quality of 3rd round QBs over the last several years and other reasons Grier was a bad pick.

Quick reminder that we played the last 8 games on the season with a QB that couldn't air a ball out over 25 yards

And if that happens again, I’d rather tank for a legit franchise QB.

The most upsetting thing is since we drafted a QB relatively high they won’t get to bitch about us not signing Kap when Cam inevitably misses time

I've never seen anybody get so bent out of shape about a third round draft pick who's going to be an important backup to the most important player on the field.

Yet, the Patriots have taken 4 quarterbacks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds over the past 12 years. They've also "rolled the dice" on the next Brady in Rounds 7 and 4 the past two years.

Several of which were traded for draft capital. Do you see Give it away Hurney doing that? I don't.

Our team is too good to tank for a QB any time within the next 5 years

This team finished 1-7 when all they needed was a few wins to make the playoffs. Without a healthy Cam, this team is one of the worst in the league and would definitely have a shot at Tua.

This team finished 1-7 when all they needed was a few wins to make the playoffs. Without a healthy Cam, this team is one of the worst in the league and would definitely have a shot at Tua.

Hot take: We would have won more than 1 game if we played a healthy QB instead of an injured one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back