• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was an assistant to the offensive line coach for one year. Not exactly running the show. Maybe a slight step up from the Assistant to the Traveling Secretary, but that is like saying the summer intern law clerk has relevant experience for that Supreme Court Justice gig.

Fine. Make up your own reason then.

hmmmm should we trust tepper the billionaire investing all of his energy into the panthers with an intelligent approach......... or the front office that has hired ben macadoo, pat shurmur, and the 10th best patriots assistant

it does seem the more someone actually knows about rhule the more they like him

the naysayers are ppl like me who just used his wikipedia page as a guide when i heard he was a top candidate

the naysayers are ppl like me who just used his wikipedia page as a guide when i heard he was a top candidate

Yep. There's a reason why he was on the radar. Tepper said he can be our Chuck Noll. Got to love that.

Also got to love that Tepper looks like he's going to spend aggressively.

[h=1]Tepper: We saw what Rhule did with less, imagine what he could do with more?[/h]
https://www.panthers.com/news/teppe...-with-less-imagine-what-he-could-do-with-more

It won't happen overnight, but Tepper is willing to give Rhule the necessary time to build this thing right.

"We have a shared vision," Tepper said. "We know it’s not going to be a fast process, but we’re willing to build something for the long term. I told you guys generally that it’s a building process. Things could happen fast, and maybe they will, but we’re in a building process here and sometimes you have to tear things down to build them up.

“The thing about the NFL is they call it an 8-8 league. It’s an 8-8 league because you all get so much to get the same players, that’s why it’s an 8-8 league. It’s not an 8-8 league when you build facilities. It’s not an 8-8 league when you get trainers. It’s not an 8-8 league for other sorts of things you can bring in here, and I heard the Carolina Panthers have an owner who has some resources.”

Last edited:
I like Rhule but choosing his Baylor DC and “an” OC from LSU is a concern. I was hoping to see more NFL talent on the sidelines.

I was thinking promising position coaches. People used to the league. Maybe it doesn’t matter that much with Cam on offense and Luke on D.

New Carolina Panthers head coach Matt Rhule is expected to hire two coaches to his staff — Kevin M. Gilbride and Pat Flaherty — according to a report from Alex Marvez. Both were members of the New York Giants coaching staff when Rhule was an offensive line assistant there in 2012. The exact roles for these coaches is yet to be determined, but one would assume that if they are hired they would be in similar positions on the Panthers’ staff.

Gilbride (not to be confused with former Giants offensive coordinator and current XFL head coach Kevin Gilbride, who is his father) is currently the tight ends coach for the Chicago Bears and served as the Giants’ wide receivers coach in 2012. He was the Giants tight ends coach from 2014-2017 before moving to Chicago to take the same job in 2018.

Flaherty is a veteran coach who has been in the NFL since 2000 when he was Washington’s tight ends coach. After short stints in Washington and then Chicago, he became the Giants’ offensive line coach in 2004 and remained there until 2015. He has also worked with the San Francisco 49ers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and most recently the Miami Dolphins before he was fired about 17 minutes after arriving to the team’s first practice of training camp (okay, it was longer than 17 minutes... but he was only there four days).

https://www.catscratchreader.com/20...herty-to-nfl-carolina-panthers-coaching-staff

Looks like he's hiring two of the only NFL people he knows. I was hoping he'd use Tepper's deep pockets to poach some top assistants.

Rhule hires Colts DL coach, Mike Phair to the same position and retains Chase Blackburn as special teams coach. Blackburn was on the Giants in Rhule's one year as a Giants assistant.

Don't our special teams suck?

Yes. Much of that is personnel issues between Gettleman not keeping Buktner and Hurney's inability to find a return man (sigh Dortch). I'd rather not stick with Blackburn though.

Not a major headscratcher. Clearly Rhule prefers guys he knows and he doesn't know that many people. It's disappointing.

Rhule hires Colts DL coach, Mike Phair to the same position and retains Chase Blackburn as special teams coach. Blackburn was on the Giants in Rhule's one year as a Giants assistant.

That's good. Not like our special teams were a complete and total dumpster fire all year long or anything.

Or people skeptical that a coach who had one or two decent years as a Big 12 coach can handle the adjustment to the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back