• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ESPN reporting that the NFL is investigating the Panthers for Cam's quick return after getting hit so hard. He explained, pretty clearly, in the post game presser that the visor from his helmet had come loose and hit down on his eye, the same eye he was clearly icing on the sideline, and the replay showed the dude kicking in his visor while he was on the ground. Howabout the NFL investigate its sorry ass refs as why no flag was thrown on the fucking hit that did it, instead of why he was trying to come back and play after it? The NFL is so awful sometimes.

The NFL doesn’t give a damn about concussions. See the hit to Tyrod earlier today where the defender slammed his head to the ground with no penalty. If they really cared, they would adopt the college targeting rule where you are thrown out of the game for hits like that. They also would’ve made sure Cam went to the locker room after he collapsed on the field

Cam played his damn balls off.

This. Hate Cam went into the playoffs with a shitty OL and his only weapons being CMC and Olsen. Had nothing to work with and still almost beat a good Saints team on the road. Will never understand the Cam haters.

This. Hate Cam went into the playoffs with a shitty OL and his only weapons being CMC and Olsen. Had nothing to work with and still almost beat a good Saints team on the road. Will never understand the Cam haters.

Yup. Hell, even the Observer only graded him as a B+ today. I mean, what else do you want him to do? It’s like when LeBron averaged a triple double in the finals in a losing effort against the warriors and STILL got shit. If Funchess or Clay make two plays we are talking about the Panthers being a dark horse.

Our biggest problem is just that G-man didn’t draft or sign star quality guys. Excellent at the supporting cast, but not at identifying star talent. Our stars are still Hurney guys with the exception of Short. We lost Norman, Hardy, Steve Smith, and Jordan Gross and have only replaced them with ok dudes. Soon Davis, Stewart, and Kalil will be gone as well. As far as being a top player Stewart is already gone. If we had young stars at just 2 of those positions we’re getting ready for our home playoff game next week

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, Cam carried a shitty offense and the entire franchise to the Super Bowl and people expect him to be an MVP with little help every year. I've been looking over Lil Kalil's contract and it looks like we could cut him and not pay his bonus, but still take a big cap hit. Not sure though. He's got to go though. I'm find sending his bro packing too if that's what it takes.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/matt-kalil-9814/

Here is the PFF write-up of the game.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-new-orleans-saints-31-carolina-panthers-26

[h=3]Top 5 Grades:[/h] QB Cam Newton, 85.2 overall grade

DI Kawaan Short, 84.5 overall grade

S Mike Adams, 82.7 overall grade

TE Greg Olson, 81.9 overall grade

S Kurt Coleman, 81.1 overall grade
[h=3]Performances of Note:[/h] [h=3]QB Cam Newton, 85.2 overall grade[/h] Newton played one of his best games of the season, firing a number of accurate throws in tight coverage. Newton was on the bad end of some dropped passes, with three total on the day including a would-be touchdown to Kailen Clay in the first quarter. He did most of his damage at the intermediate level of the field, finishing 10-of-12 for 162 yards and a touchdown on throws traveling 10-19 yards in the air.
[h=3]RB Christian McCaffrey, 69.6 overall grade[/h] As it has been for much of the season, McCaffrey was held in check in the running game but was a big part of Newton’s success through the air. McCaffrey provided the biggest play of the day for the Panthers, exploiting a mismatch on linebacker Craig Robertson in the middle of the field and bursting for a 56-yard score. McCaffrey finished the day hauling in all six of his targets for 101 yards and the touchdown.
[h=3]DI Kawann Short, 84.5 overall grade[/h] The Panthers held the Saints’ rushing attack in check, and Short was a significant part of that with his team-high three run stops. He had two pressures in the game, and got his lone sack when he bull rushed Larry Warford right into the quarterback.
[h=3]CB James Bradberry, 35.6 overall grade[/h] It was a rough night for Bradberry, who allowed six catches for 72 yards and a passer rating of 109.5 into his coverage, with all but one catch picking up first downs.

Last edited:
Outside of re-signing Norwell.... No big offseason potential departures?

Peppers, R Kalil, Stewart, Star, Norwell could all be gone for one reason or another (Only thought about players that make contributions)

Peppers, R Kalil, Stewart, Star, Norwell could all be gone for one reason or another (Only thought about players that make contributions)

Absolutely need to keep the last two. I'd love to see Peppers come back for one more.

If we go into next season with the same WR group then we as a franchise are effectively punting on the Cam Newton era. Would be the worst decision in franchise history, besides P Diddy becoming an owner.

Loss stings this morning. Dropped Clay TD, missed FG by Gano, officiating boning us on the last drive and we still had a decent shot on the Funchess throw -- Panthers certainly had plenty of opportunities just couldn't get it done.

Schedule seems somewhat favorable next season so hopefully we can get back to the playoffs again - but will be a strange offseason

Morning after takes:

1) We are who we thought we were. An elite QB (unconventionally) with two options around him (Greg and CMC). Even with that, I came away from yesterday with my same reaction as the entire season...Shula needs to go. Play calling in the red zone was abysmal and I’m a firm believer that he still has a job because of the play of Cam. Please let him go Ron.

2) Officiating in the NFL is really bringing down the game. I found myself multiple times on wild card weekend thinking, why is this being reviewed? Or why is this taking so long to review? And then the game yesterday happens and then I’m thinking, why wasn’t that play reviewed (INT that was clearly an incomplete pass)? Or why does nobody explain why a certain call is made (grounding call where people on reddit show Cam is clearly out of the pocket)? The confusion with replay mixed with the arbitrary placing of the ball by humans after each play, on top of the “extra ref” running onto the field to run 10 seconds off for the Saints leaves me perplexed at all of this.

I had no idea intentional grounding was a "triple" penalty. Who came up with that crap? Loss of down, ball placed at spot of foul and then, if under 2 minutes a 10 second run off? So I can grab your jersey to prevent you from catching a pass and it's a 5 yard penalty and first down but if I throw it away and the refs deem it to be intentional I can be completely destroyed by your subjectivity. It seems the rules committee can do better than that.

The awesome hit in the Titan game causing the fumble was the worst call in NFL history. Forward progress stopped? There was no forward progress. what a disaster by those who call themselves professional.

Yettttttttt offensive holding is a mere ten yard penalty without a loss of down? So on offense if you throw the ball away for intentional grounding you lose yards and a down, but for holding on offense you just lose yards? Why not yards and a loss of down? Most of the time if the holding never exists you get sacked for a loss of yards and a down.

Grounding penalty just gives the defense the sack (lost yardage, down). So if you are about to be sacked like Cam was, you might as well throw it. With the sack, more than 10 secs would transpire before your next play anyway.

Yettttttttt offensive holding is a mere ten yard penalty without a loss of down? So on offense if you throw the ball away for intentional grounding you lose yards and a down, but for holding on offense you just lose yards? Why not yards and a loss of down? Most of the time if the holding never exists you get sacked for a loss of yards and a down.

You realize holding happens all the time on running plays too, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back