• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I heard on an npr podcast that buttgiegg would be the nominee if only radio and newspaper where used as mediums, but that TV will be his downfall

Any any relevant experience. Obama was at least a 1 term US senator.

Gotta say I'm underwhelmed with the current field. Now leaning Klobuchar, though she's not polling well and doesn't have as dynamic personality as Beto or Harris.

y'all are that confident that the US would elect a openly gay man as president? i'm down. just curious.

PI odds:

5rg4MVO.png

I feel like Beto's main difference is not endorsing a single payer system and instead working a dual medicaid/private system to incrementally move people towards a one payer system. My issue with him is that these dont all appear to be long standing beliefs and he ran as something of a moderate/conservative financially before who was about cutting spending. I think there's plenty of spending we can cut, but I dont think most politicians will cut the largess I see and will cut useful social programs.

It feels like his fiscal conservative rhetoric was the result of a pre-run focus group. Feels like a calculated, niche-in-the-market kind of move (at best)...

Let's talk policy.

My thoughts on some of Beto's positions that are highlighted in the 538 article I posted.

abolition of for profit/private prisons - I strongly support

ban on assault weapons- This is my most left position. I wouldn't be sad about a ban on all guns.

elimination of bail sentences - I need to be more educated. Certainly a more fair way to get people to show up for their court date is needed.

border wall- I'm very pro immigration

impeachment of Trump - waste of time. Like has been stated here. It could do more harm than good.

allow people to enroll in single payer- I support single payer. I'm not sure what he means by "allowing" people to enroll. I need to educate myself on that.

$15 minimum wage- support

Marijuana - absolutely

opposing death penalty - I support. I'm not so much against it morally, but I don't trust the process to decide who actually deserves it.

His position on health care is pandering nonsense. ACA was supposed to be an incremental step towards single payer (or at least that's how it was sold to progressives). Expanding the ACA seems like the best case scenario for this type of policy, but we'll see.

seems better than a bunch of the options available except for lack of name recognition

Yep. Everyday I see Facebook posts from people who just discovered him and really like it. People from progressive groups, moderate groups, even people who do or used to lean Republican. Random people I know are going all in for Pete including the head of our local Dem party and today my freshman year RA.

He’s a very impressive dude and he strikes a major contrast with Trump without even trying. He’s really smart. Dude speaks seven languages conversationally. Google how and why he learned Norwegian.

I heard on an npr podcast that buttgiegg would be the nominee if only radio and newspaper where used as mediums, but that TV will be his downfall

He got his big bump from the CNN Town Hall. I think he’s short which could hurt him. He’s Midwest handsome. Seems affable. Good with an audience. He will look small next to Trump but he would be the favorite if he gets there.

I think his chances are solid. He can occupy the Midwest lane with minimum competition from Kloubachar. He is pragmatic enough for moderates and independents. The Dems who desperately don’t want a straight white guy can vote for him without feeling like they’re letting down women and minorities. He will definitely appeal to highly educated Dems.

Lack of experience could hurt him but he knocks that question out of the park. Once he gets surrogates, they’ll point out what I’ve said that we shouldn’t limit red state Democrats because it’s harder to win statewide office in Indiana than it is in CA or the northeast like much of the field.

I also think he could make a good case that a two term mayor has more experience than a three term House backbencher. AOC and the new class are going to raise the bar for what we expect from Dem reps.

‘Florida Is Tired of Being a Cheap Date’: Andrew Gillum Wants to Help Democrats Win in 2020

After losing his bid for Florida’s governorship by less than one half of a percentage point, Mr. Gillum, the former Tallahassee mayor, is now carefully planning his next steps amid speculation that he would run for president. On Wednesday, he announced he will not join the Democratic field seeking to oppose President Trump, but instead return to political organizing. He said he aims to build a voter mobilization network in Florida that will help whoever becomes the Democratic Party’s nominee to capture the state’s all-important 29 electoral votes.

This is how you win elections, Dems! Great to hear vs. a narcissistic white house run.

Gillum and Abrams have a strong message coming off tough losses. "I would have won if more people voted. So let's make sure more people can vote."

Gillibrand getting dragged for a bad opoid proposal. She tried to respond and it didn't seem to help.

Opioid abuse among cancer patients and survivors is a big issue as well.

Democrats need to put marijuana legalization at the front of their opioid policies.

Gillibrand getting dragged for a bad opoid proposal. She tried to respond and it didn't seem to help.

I agree that it's a bad proposal, but these are also pretty bad faith responses to KG. There is an opioid abuse epidemic right now that involve a majority of folks who aren't like Sarah Jones.

Likewise, there are plenty of medications that are heavily regulated in most peoples'/doctors' cases, but are accessible with proper documentation...

Also, I despise Twitter.

I agree that it's a bad proposal, but these are also pretty bad faith responses to KG. There is an opioid abuse epidemic right now that involve a majority of folks who aren't like Sarah Jones.

Of course MHBD is for big pharma getting people addicted to dope pills, because of course he would.

That's weird I think he is a pretty good looking dude, is that not the general opinion?

The only people who call drugs "dope" are people trying to rhyme with "hope" and narcs.

Back