• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I can't access Youtube at work, but I know Kamala, Cory Booker, and Bernie have all been on this year.

Yeah. Which makes Charlemagne tha God’s comments about Pete’s honesty and willingness to answer questions quite relevant.

Pete Butt is a proto-Bernie Bro.

I want to see a platform on Pete Butt's website. In his Esquire interview, I liked a lot of his stuff in there, but I want to see a little more substance. I was dissatisfied with his response on reparations. Want to see more about Medicaid for All and Green New Deal. Until dude puts out a platform, all we have to go on is radio spots, tweets, and two terms as a mayor.

I'm nervous about his military interventionist views and hope he stays away from the economic nationalism that Bernie favors.

Fair points. It’s still early. If you listen to his radio and TV appearances, he openly answers questions.

It’s funny that the first out gay candidate’s last name starts with Butt. Sure. But calling him a name he was certainly called by homophobic bullies is not cool.

Weird how being impressed with one candidate while being willing to listen to others is a cult of personality.

Ph and ADT, I get that Buttigieg is refreshing. But a big part of our present dysfunction is that we elected a demagogue with zero political experience and who does not know how to get things done in Washington - thankfully for that last part. This guy is a small city mayor with no federal experience. At least with Inslee and Hickenlooper, they were governors of fairly large states, and we have a long history of electing former governors as presidents. And we've had a number of generals win as well, but they've at least had that experience of helping run the biggest agency of the government. Buttigieg also has no history of being in the national spotlight, unlike Trump. Literally no one this young and inexperienced has ever gotten a major party's nomination, much less won. The closest I can think of are Trump and William Jennings Bryan, though Bryan, like Trump, had been in the national spotlight for decades. What I care about most is counting to 270. How does this guy not only energize the base but also attract enough independents and a few Trump hating establishment Pubs so that he can win states like FL, PA, NC, MI, WI and IA? Because he'll also get all of Trump's gay hating base to the polls for the wrong reason.

The Dem nomination or the presidency?

The former will be harder for him than the latter. If he wins the nomination, I think he steamrolls trump. His path to the nomination is much more difficult because of the same qualities that help him in the general, mainly military service, lack of direct connection to coastal dem strongholds, youth, and lack of name recognition. If he wins the the nomination, he has the name recognition he needs in the general.

So everyone that thinks steamroll in a general believes that excitement by democrats and youth will outweigh increased voter participation by religious nuts or is that well already tapped to capacity?

So everyone that thinks steamroll in a general believes that excitement by democrats and youth will outweigh increased voter participation by religious nuts or is that well already tapped to capacity?

What religious nuts didn’t come out to vote in 2016? I know the sample size is tiny, but he came out in his 2nd mayoral campaign and won with 80% of the vote. He’s more authentically religious than trump. I also wouldn’t sell the youth vote short.

Watch how he answers the question about Pence here:

https://youtu.be/u7SHQSGesyM

Ph and ADT, I get that Buttigieg is refreshing. But a big part of our present dysfunction is that we elected a demagogue with zero political experience and who does not know how to get things done in Washington - thankfully for that last part. This guy is a small city mayor with no federal experience. At least with Inslee and Hickenlooper, they were governors of fairly large states, and we have a long history of electing former governors as presidents. And we've had a number of generals win as well, but they've at least had that experience of helping run the biggest agency of the government. Buttigieg also has no history of being in the national spotlight, unlike Trump. Literally no one this young and inexperienced has ever gotten a major party's nomination, much less won. The closest I can think of are Trump and William Jennings Bryan, though Bryan, like Trump, had been in the national spotlight for decades. What I care about most is counting to 270. How does this guy not only energize the base but also attract enough independents and a few Trump hating establishment Pubs so that he can win states like FL, PA, NC, MI, WI and IA? Because he'll also get all of Trump's gay hating base to the polls for the wrong reason.

Bernie Bro bernie broing

I think that's largely tapped to capacity because Trump has done a better job than W did of tapping into both the religious and white resentment crowds. Which is why I'm writing off states like OH and IN. In order to beat Trump, you need to win some combination of PA, MI, WI, IA, NC and FL.

I just think there are enough people age 35 upward that answer polling questions about gay marriage acceptance and other questions about someone being gay but at home still feel that it’s not right and would be a silent no vote when the time came. This isn’t based on any actual data just feels. It also seems like something in a general election that while most people wouldn’t touch or tread lightly, trump and the base would make it a 24/7 defining thing.

William Jennings Bryan was 36 when got the nomination in 1896. But he did have six years service in Congress by then.

Trump's base is going to be energized and vote regardless.

That's said I agree with c-ville that Pete's lack of experience is a concern.

Last edited:
I just think there are enough people age 35 upward that answer polling questions about gay marriage acceptance and other questions about someone being gay but at home still feel that it’s not right and would be a silent no vote when the time came. This isn’t based on any actual data just feels. It also seems like something in a general election that while most people wouldn’t touch or tread lightly, trump and the base would make it a 24/7 defining thing.

I thought the same things about Obama, but people ultimately believed in him and his message. It’s super early, and so much can change, but that seems to be the same momentum Pete is gathering right now.

Yeah they will vote but despite his flaws trump has an ability to drive home the dumbest things that get people to think just a little bit about it and then that seed grows because people see memes everywhere and Facebook promotes a Safety of our children Moms against gays for president group and so on. Maybe I’m just worried because I’ve seen how dumb as shit this population is.

Back