• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

The Biden story is way overblown. First, he’s not even in the race. Second, he wasn’t going to win anyway. Third, we saw him get too touchy with people for years and plenty was written about it. Fourth, only three people have come forward to talk about it. One is a Bernie operative and one said Biden was a friend trying to make her feel comfortable.

Plenty was written about it?

Link?

MHB still won't answer why he doesn't he hold Bernie accountable for his multiple pro-gun, pro-NRA votes in the 90s and 00s. If MHB were the least bit consistent, he'd say Bernie's vote disqualify him.

I thought you were better than this. Disappointing. I voted to not endorse Bernie as a DSA member, and am critical of him over not supporting BDS. Do better.

No, you need to do better. Ph, for all his many particularities, just went way out of his way to explain something that was pretty apparent to those that read what you posted. You dismissed, dismissed, dismissed, and then when he legit just broke down the exact, detailed argument he was making (which I thought was particularly well-said, kudos Ph), you finally got to the crux of why you were being dismissive: you don't care.

I get that you have your particular worldview and that a lot of Democratic candidates in your eyes do not meet the standards you would like to see. But on this particular point, especially in light of your known mass incarceration views, Buttigieg coming out against security for fear rather than security for security should line up with a more liberal policing worldview. That you cannot even acknowledge his point as being valid, irrespective of him following up with an immediate policy stump that gives your perfect ideal solution to the problem, says more about your inability to objectively discuss candidates than it does about Buttigieg's "meaningless" points about American culture.

"security culture" without specifics is meaningless to me.

I'm not sure how an astute political observer, particularly on the left, doesn't know what "security theater" or "security culture" in the US is in 2019, especially when I already defined as a security to keep us scared.

No, you need to do better. Ph, for all his many particularities, just went way out of his way to explain something that was pretty apparent to those that read what you posted. You dismissed, dismissed, dismissed, and then when he legit just broke down the exact, detailed argument he was making (which I thought was particularly well-said, kudos Ph), you finally got to the crux of why you were being dismissive: you don't care.

I get that you have your particular worldview and that a lot of Democratic candidates in your eyes do not meet the standards you would like to see. But on this particular point, especially in light of your known mass incarceration views, Buttigieg coming out against security for fear rather than security for security should line up with a more liberal policing worldview. That you cannot even acknowledge his point as being valid, irrespective of him following up with an immediate policy stump that gives your perfect ideal solution to the problem, says more about your inability to objectively discuss candidates than it does about Buttigieg's "meaningless" points about American culture.

PH didn't explain anything. Can anyone explain one substantive difference in security in Israel and security in America? And why one is based on fear and one based on security. I don't have a "liberal policing worldview." In fact I think liberals have contributed substantially to mass incarceration.

PH didn't explain anything. Can anyone explain one substantive difference in security in Israel and security in America? And why one is based on fear and one based on security. I don't have a "liberal policing worldview." In fact I think liberals have contributed substantially to mass incarceration.

I would contend that Democrats have contributed substantially to mass incarceration, not necessarily liberals. Also, it's important to note that a lot has changed since the 1990's and the era of "superpredators". And part of what has changed is the notion that incarceration = security is now largely considered outdated by those that study the issue. But what needs to change, and what Buttigieg was alluding to, is that allowing the GOP and conservatives to promote a security state designed on fear of "others" is dangerous, but that does not remove the necessity for security measures to actually ensure security.

You still haven't explained why Bernie is not accountable for his votes but everyone you don't like is.

I'm in Panera meeting with a colleague and I just heard an older white man at a table of older white men and women mention the "new darling of the Democrats, the gay mayor." I vaguely picked up some of their prior conversation and tone so I think they're conservative and the tone was derisive, but I'm not sure. This is a suburban Panera, so I'm sure they're just pure evil of course.

I'm in Panera meeting with a colleague and I just heard an older white man at a table of older white men and women mention the "new darling of the Democrats, the gay mayor." I vaguely picked up some of their prior conversation and tone so I think they're conservative and the tone was derisive, but I'm not sure. This is a suburban Panera, so I'm sure they're just pure evil of course.

Define suburban

This is a new twist on the Jacob Wohl classic.

Beats polling at 1 percent.

61170323.jpg

Back