• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Saying Clinton and Warren are similar is a really lazy comparison in my opinion, apart from them both being female. Warren is clearly passionate about her beliefs and comes across as genuine, pretty much the opposite of Clinton and the reason she didn't motivate large parts of the electorate. Their politics, backgrounds, really everything is different apart from their gender.

I don't think Warren will get a shot because policies and concrete plans don't really excite people in the same way that generalities of hope and change seem to. I think her age will play against her as well.

Saying Clinton and Warren are similar is a really lazy comparison in my opinion, apart from them both being female. Warren is clearly passionate about her beliefs and comes across as genuine, pretty much the opposite of Clinton and the reason she didn't motivate large parts of the electorate. Their politics, backgrounds, really everything is different apart from their gender.

I don't think Warren will get a shot because policies and concrete plans don't really excite people in the same way that generalities of hope and change seem to. I think her age will play against her as well.

Completely agree. But sadly, American voters are really lazy.

He hasn't even started running and I'm already over him. The others have gotten a head start and shown there are plenty of legitimate options other than bland OWG.

Yep. And once he starts running, people will remember why he's never gained traction as a candidate.

Yeah. If she runs the gauntlet well, you may be right about Kloubachar.

Listening to an On Point discussion about “electability” and race/gender. I think it’s a huge overreaction. I feel like I’ve only heard “unelectable” to describe Warren and Gulibrabd. And that’s Warren is wonky and on the surface very similar to Hillary. Gillibrand has enemies from Franken.

It’s also an overreaction to Bernie and Biden leading and Pete’s rise. Bernie and Biden are known to a voter base that largely isn’t paying attention. Pete has put in a lot of work to impress a lot of people. There was going to be a sleeper candidate and he occupies that lane.

Oh and voters don’t like electing senators and all the major women candidates are senators.

It may be an overreaction, but I still think there's something there. I expected Harris to be doing better in the polls than she is doing because she has some charisma and is a good communicator. And of the women in the race, there are only 2 who are generating anything over 1% - Harris and Warren - and they're both running well behind Sanders and Biden and have recently been passed by Buttigieg.

I don't understand why Warren isn't getting more traction. I think she's far and away been the most impressive in the Town Halls.

Really turned off by Mayor Pete's no votes for the incarcerated. Framing the argument as "The Boston Bomber" is pretty disingenuous (and I understand it wasn't his framing), when someone is much more likely to be in prison for a drug offence and that those incarcerated are disproportionately Black and Brown people. Further by counting inmate populations in data to determine representation, you have a system that resembles the 3/5th compromise where people count in terms of representation/funds but have not say in how those funds/representation are used.

Yep. And once he starts running, people will remember why he's never gained traction as a candidate.

I'm not so sure. He's pretty well liked across the board and has the name recognition. I could just as easily see him get the nomination as a 1 term caretaker with whom everyone is kind of comfortable as I could seeing him fall flat and get no traction. I think Sanders is the frontrunner due to the large field. He doesn't have broad appeal but has a smaller number of devoted followers, and he only really has 1 other person to compete with from the left wing in Warren. Before the field winnows down to 2-4 candidates, I can easily see Sanders winning a bunch of early primaries with 25-30% of the vote because the more mainstream dems are splitting that vote between several candidates. And if that does happen, I think that could help Biden because he could then present himself as the answer to saving the party from nominating Bernie.

I don't understand why Warren isn't getting more traction. I think she's far and away been the most impressive in the Town Halls.

Agreed. I think she's the smartest, most prepared, she's tough and would get the most shit done. She's not getting traction because she's a woman and she looks like a librarian.

Yeah I don't always buy into the "ignored because she's a woman" argument, but this is a pretty clear cut example.

Agreed. I think she's the smartest, most prepared, she's tough and would get the most shit done. She's not getting traction because she's a woman and she looks like a librarian.

Smartest, most prepared, tough, and get shit done is the profile of a key member of the Senate. Senators do the shit. Presidents rally support for the shit and sign shit and get blamed when shit doesn't happen.

Disagree that she'd get the most shite done. Not much will get done no matter who the nominee is. Agree with the woman and librarian assessment, sadly. It's tougher for women on the national level because they can so easily be perceived as strident. I thought Harris had the demeanor and conversational tone to overcome that, but she's not moving the needle either.

I think Warren has been great so far in both messaging and in communicating. She clearly knows her stuff backwards and forwards and I think she has really great ideas. But I won’t be voting for her for the same reasons as Bernie: she’s too old. I don’t want a septuagenarian or octogenarian President. As a country we should want fresh blood and candidates that were born closer to the 21st century than the 19th century.

I’d love Warren to be a VP choice, but even better would be for her to replace Schumer. Warren already has policy allies in the House, if she can lead the Senate Dems and maybe even become Majority Leader, a lot of legislation would get to the Senate floor through her that otherwise would not.

She not getting traction because she's boring. Al Gore wasn't boring because he is a man. Why is it "because she's a woman" if she's boring? It's the exact same standard.

She not getting traction because she's boring. Al Gore wasn't boring because he is a man. Why is it "because she's a woman" if she's boring? It's the exact same standard.

Why do you think she’s boring?

She's too wonky. In essence, she's a 2020 version of Al Gore.

I hate to say it, but women are NOT funny. They are BORING. Hear me out, though—I have a good reason. I once went to a comedy show, and there was one woman who performed and she was TERRIBLE. I mean, sure, the audience members were all drunk men yelling at her to take her top off, but she did NOT make me laugh.

I don't think she's any more boring than anyone else running. Why is she more boring than Biden? Is Bernie not boring because he gestures wildly with his hands? Is Beto less boring because he jumps on a table?

Yeah I'm in on Warren as the head of the Senate Dems with a younger president. Flip the script on what the GOP has done for the past few years and push a progressive platform through. GOP as a minority party will oppose anything the Democrats want (regardless of whether they're actually extreme viewpoints) so bypass any efforts at bipartisan agreements and let's move the needle back from where the conservative coalition has taken the country since 2012-14.

Back