• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Basically what it comes down to is most uneducated rednecks and white nationalists will go for Trump along with most Pubs who can't stand the thought of a Dem in the WH. Traditional Pubs probably won't vote at all (at least the ones I know of will not vote for Trump. Whether there is enough of the everyone else to overcome Trump and his core faction is the big question. I am betting there is but a c'ville says, it will be close.

Basically what it comes down to is most uneducated rednecks and white nationalists will go for Trump along with most Pubs who can't stand the thought of a Dem in the WH. Traditional Pubs probably won't vote at all (at least the ones I know of will not vote for Trump. Whether there is enough of the everyone else to overcome Trump and his core faction is the big question. I am betting there is but a c'ville says, it will be close.

Never Trumpers will heroically write-in Colin Powell or someone like that so they can proudly stick their chests out while they shake their heads at trump wondering how this could have happened.

Never Trumpers will heroically write-in Colin Powell or someone like that so they can proudly stick their chests out while they shake their heads at trump wondering how this could have happened.

Or just claim they didn’t vote for Trump when they clearly did

Biden officially jumps in.

Announcement video in the link below. Powerful stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...89a3e456820_story.html?utm_term=.149ba2eba8e8

Eh, I like Joe and would vote for him, but the message can't only be "Trump is bad". Hillary tried that. She lost. You've got to reach people who feel forgotten and scared....Trump did that and preyed on the darkest instincts of human nature to win. Biden needs to reach these people in a positive way.

I agree and like Inslee, who has made that his primary issue. Are there any Dems running who don't support climate change mitigation? To me, that looks like a given across the board.

Several candidates are running as if it’s a given that climate change is important and we’ll do something about. That’s not good enough. Nearly 70% or Americans are “somewhat” or “very worried” about climate change and we have a President and Senate Majority leader that believe climate change is a hoax perpetuated by greedy scientists some how bought off by China and the wind power lobby. Make it a defining issue of the 2020 campaign, it’s a winning issue for Dems.

Eh, I like Joe and would vote for him, but the message can't only be "Trump is bad". Hillary tried that. She lost. You've got to reach people who feel forgotten and scared....Trump did that and preyed on the darkest instincts of human nature to win. Biden needs to reach these people in a positive way.

scared of what?

I don't think Biden would be the best president of the bunch or by many standards other than the low ones set by the current administration, but anything except Trump and I'll be content until 2024. And who knows, maybe the country needs an objectively underwhelming Dem president just to mediate tempers.

If Biden wins, I don't think he runs for a second term.

I don’t know why people think that. If you win, you run again.

HRC lost because there were Dems like me that hated her, her message, and the fact that Dem leaders cleared the field for her. It's because of her that we are in this situation. Biden wanted in last time but in the pursuit to be the first woman he had to step aside.

If bkf still views this board, he'll love this post as he was correct.

So should Dems just give up all hope of taking the Senate? That's all three election cycles which a "bad" map for Dems. We've had the Senate in recent history, I have to think that there is a way to get it back. Heitkamp, Donnely, Manchin, etc all won in a Presidential election year.

I'm not saying give up hope, but let's be realistic. In theory, Dems should have the advantage in the house because more folks lean Dem in the congressional districts as a whole. Now it doesn't always work out that way, and 1 reason for that recently was a bad 2010 census and Pub map drafting. Conversely, Pubs should have the advantage in the senate because there are more Dakotas than Californias. Most of the South and Mountain West is red. What we saw in 2018 was a referendum on Trump. In the house, that resulted in a lopsided Dem victory, and we narrowly picked up 2 senate seats in a purple state (NV) and a reddish purple state that's trending more purple (AZ). We also narrowly held a seat in a red state with a popular Dem in MT. But in this referendum on Trump, we lost 4 seats. One was a narrow loss in a reddish purple state (FL), but the other 3 were lopsided losses in red states where Trump is still popular (IN, MO and ND). Heitkamp was even fairly popular in ND, but she still lost by like 10 points.

2020 will be another referendum on Trump, and he will be on the ballot. There are a ton of red seats that are up, however the vast majority of those are in very red states that love them some Trump. There are few blue seats up, and all but 1 should be safe - but that 1 is a certain loss (AL). Even if you have a good candidate in say a KS or KY, you're not going to pick up a seat like that in a Trump loving state. The only realistic pick-ups are in CO, AZ, IA and ME in that order. The good news is that Giffords husband will be the Dem candidate in AZ. The bad news is that Hickenlooper and Vilsack apparently won't run in CO and IA, and Collins apparently isn't retiring. Charlie Cook and Larry Sabato have CO, AZ and AL rated as toss-ups (AL charitably so), and they have IA and ME as Pub leans. Two other states that in theory could be close are NC and GA, however no big blue name is interested in NC, so Tillis should coast. That's why I'm saying that picking up 1 seat to move to 48 looks like a pretty good result right now. And things could change in the next 16 months. Trump's tariffs could turn IA blue, and I strongly believe Trump's and Ernst's %s will be almost the same whatever the result. ME is different because it's a light blue state where Collins is popular, but maybe she could be a reverse Heitkamp kind of casualty if there is a strong blue candidate. But as of now, yeah, 48 would be a good result.

I don’t know why people think that. If you win, you run again.

I don't know that he really cares about the Presidency anymore. More that he thinks he has the best chance of beating Trump and that's the goal.

And as incumbent he would be the best shot to defeat the Trump disciple Pubs nominate in 2024.

HRC lost because there were Dems like me that hated her, her message, and the fact that Dem leaders cleared the field for her. It's because of her that we are in this situation. Biden wanted in last time but in the pursuit to be the first woman he had to step aside.

If bkf still views this board, he'll love this post as he was correct.

Hillary lost because she fucked up Wisconsin, the electoral college is stupid, she had been dragged through the mud unfairly by conservatives for decades, she's a woman, and rubes. There are a lot of reasons. I assume you still voted for her?

Back