• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Catch-all thread for keeping up with Dem nominees

Announced Candidates:
Richard Ojeda (great guy, no chance)
Rep. John Delaney (no chance)

Likely candidates at this point:
Kamala Harris
Elizabeth Warren
Bernie Sanders
Kirsten Gillebrand

Some other potential Dem candidates i'm seeing: Joe Biden, Michael Avanetti, Deval Patrick, Cory Booker, Hillary (ugh), Michael Bloomberg, Amy Klobuchar, Terry McAullife

Bernie Bros. wanted Hillary to run so they’d have someone to hate too. Maybe Buttigieg was on to something with the Trump rube/Bernie Bro comparison........

The making of 'Mayor Pete': How a data geek learned to govern with heart

NBC News interviewed Buttigieg and dozens of people who have worked with him to better understand the candidate who has shaken up the 2020 race.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...te-how-data-geek-learned-govern-heart-n998696

Lots of good information here.

This is the woman who is always cited in the 1000 homes stories.

"You have to give credit to an administration that is now becoming responsive," said Regina Williams-Preston, a Common Council member who has been critical of Buttigieg. "There's something to be celebrated about how we've moved through this process and deepened our relationships with one another by kind of allowing ourselves to wrestle with those issues because a lot of times, we don't want to talk about it."

The aspiring slumlord?

Just have to wait for the establishment money to run its course and realize Biden isn’t a good candidate.

You keep dismissing him, but I don't know that he is that easily dismissed or that he wouldn't make a strong nominee. I mean, would I prefer someone younger? Sure. But he's extremely well known, has strong favorability numbers and is generally acceptable to various Dem subgroups. Add to that he already has the endorsement of the firefighters union, a Nevada union bigwig and Sen Casey (NV and PA are rather important states. And he polls significantly better against Trump than any other Dem. While I agree his support is much broader than it is deep, I still think you have to call him and Bernie the 2 frontrunners at this point in time.

Personally, you and the others have gotten me more interested in Mayor Pete. But at the end of the day, if Joe is the nominee with say Pete or Harris as veep and Barack and Michelle campaigning for them, I'm not going to be overly disappointed. My most major concern is beating Trump. I really don't care who the nominee is as long as it's someone who can beat Trump. What I really don't have a good feel for is who is best situated to accomplish that.

Oh I completely understand that perspective at the end of April. But I don't think Biden will stay a frontrunner past the first few debates. The latest poll showing him as a frontrunner should give him pause.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...49e8c2-66d8-11e9-a1b6-b29b90efa879_story.html

Asked to name the candidate they currently support, 54 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents did not volunteer anyone. That figure is little changed from 56 percent in January, despite a slew of candidate announcements, vigorous campaigning in the early primary and caucus states, multiple cable television town halls and interviews and constant fundraising appeals.

Among the minority who expressed a preference, former vice president Joe Biden holds a tenuous advantage over Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

Over half of the people polls know Biden and are saying "Nah, I'll see what's up with these 19 other people before I give my preference." You can't run an effective "electability" campaign when after some 40+ years in public life people aren't eager to vote for you.

Sanders should be concerned as well.

The Post-ABC poll, conducted largely before Biden’s Thursday campaign announcement, asked whom respondents support in an open-ended format that did not name any of the candidates. The results show notably lower levels of support than produced in polls that ask people to pick from a list of names.

Biden tops the field with 13 percent among Democrats and Democratic-leaning adults, followed by Sanders at 9 percent and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg at 5 percent. Sens. Kamala D. Harris (Calif.) and Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) are at 4 percent, while former congressman Beto O’Rourke of Texas is at 3 percent. Sens. Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) and Cory Booker (N.J.) are at 1 percent each.

Okay, but another poll in his favor today was an Emerson Texas poll which showed him up by 1% on Trump, Beto tied with Trump (the home state effect) and everyone else behind Trump. The 2 who were faring the worst in that poll were Harris and Buttigieg, who trailed Trump by 8 points. Of course the big mystery from that poll is why the woman of Jamaican and Indian heritage and the gay guy are polling the worst in Texas. And now Trump is tweeting about Sleepy Joe. Team Trump appears more threatened by Biden than most of the other aspirants.

I don’t trust any poll that doesn’t allow for undecided at this point. It’s hard to judge candidates with lower name recognition in head to head with Trump.

Biden is the epitome of the Democratic establishment. Pass.

I understand this sentiment (especially after ‘16) but what if Biden is the right candidate for this moment in time?

I know it’s a generalization but we tend to select leaders (and presidents) as a fix or counterweight to the most recent regime.

After 4 years of a complete lunatic breaking norms and dividing us, maybe the country needs and years for someone who has the ability to unite the country bring us back to a relative sense of normalcy.

Trump is kind of stupid. I'd rather not base my vote based on who he's most afraid of.

I understand this sentiment (especially after ‘16) but what if Biden is the right candidate for this moment in time?

I know it’s a generalization but we tend to select leaders (and presidents) as a fix or counterweight to the most recent regime.

After 4 years of a complete lunatic breaking norms and dividing us, maybe the country needs and years for someone who has the ability to unite the country bring us back to a relative sense of normalcy.

Lame platitudes like “uniting the country” is the currency of those who don’t want things to really change. Those who are comfortable with the status quo. Those who would be OK with Biden coming in and accomplishing nothing.

“Normalcy” is the comfort zone of the OWG and should not be acceptable going forward.

Well said, District. Nobody is going to unite the country. We need a President who will drag it forward despite the dead weight trying to hold this country back.

Back