• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

He’s running a campaign basically negating the platforms of the entire field of Democrats and oriented towards centrists and never trump Republicans

Field of Democrats =/= greater Democratic voter base. Sorry to break the news, Strick.

Biden is running a campaign to defeat the self-absorbed clown in the White House.

Biden is running a campaign to defeat the self-absorbed clown in the White House.

On what platform?

There are a few people who are doing the same and they have a lot more to say about how they would actually govern.

Not a platform that appeals to ivory tower far left academic progressives from California apparently.

Field of Democrats =/= greater Democratic voter base. Sorry to break the news, Strick.

I know that you love to disagree with me, but how do you see Biden representing the base of folks that you need to vote to oust Trump? I don’t see anything outside of name recognition.

Not a platform that appeals to ivory tower far left academic progressives from California apparently.

I’m sorry if the architect of mass incarceration and corporate tax flight isn’t my cup of tea. You and ADT can have him. The Democratic Party can do better.

But I guess if I was a selfish approaching-the-hill tax preparer in a fifth rate sunbelt city then I might have a different perspective

He’s running a campaign basically negating the platforms of the entire field of Democrats and oriented towards centrists and never trump Republicans

He's the person who invented and passed the Violence Against Women Act before it was thought much about. He pushed Obama into marriage equality. He is for all who want to serve being able to serve. He is for equal rights for all Americans. He is for ACA and expanding it. He was central to the Iran Deal.

There's much more.

Each one of those positions is opposed by Republicans and there are many more.

I’m sorry if the architect of mass incarceration and corporate tax flight isn’t my cup of tea. You and ADT can have him. The Democratic Party can do better.

But I guess if I was a selfish approaching-the-hill tax preparer in a fifth rate sunbelt city then I might have a different perspective

Republicans love ideologues like you. Makes their minority rule strategy much easier to implement.

DeacMan, who are the “normal” candidates and who are the “bright shiny objects?”

He's the person who invented and passed the Violence Against Women Act before it was thought much about. He pushed Obama into marriage equality. He is for all who want to serve being able to serve. He is for equal rights for all Americans. He is for ACA and expanding it. He was central to the Iran Deal.

There's much more.

Each one of those positions is opposed by Republicans and there are many more.

He's also the architect of mass incarceration, a key supporter of the War on Drugs, and a proponent of all of the toxic debt that has caused one economic collapse (mortgage loans) and is about to cause another (student loans). You don't need to stan for him already, RJ. It's May 2019.

Republicans love ideologues like you. Makes their minority rule strategy much easier to implement.

Republicans love fiscal conservatives like you. You become one of them in t-minus 10 years...

And he's somehow up by anywhere from 10-20 points in early polling among likely democratic primary voters. So is he running as a republican or as the leading democratic candidate?

Republicans love fiscal conservatives like you. You become one of them in t-minus 10 years...

You really are an idiot. You do realize that the idea is to try to get more people to vote for the side closer to you than to take some perverse pleasure in convincing yourself from your ivory tower that they are going to disagree with you and trying to drive them away to that point?

He's also the architect of mass incarceration, a key supporter of the War on Drugs, and a proponent of all of the toxic debt that has caused one economic collapse (mortgage loans) and is about to cause another (student loans). You don't need to stan for him already, RJ. It's May 2019.

What I showed was your statement was totally inaccurate. My position has not changed that we need a younger person to run, but you were wrong.

You really think housing debt for all and student loan debt for all are republican platform positions? It is not surprising that colleges and existing homeowners saw increased demands caused by available capital and raised their prices - that's just what happens in markets. The genesis of those programs was a democratic, not a republican. Crap the Perkins loan program is named after a former democratic politician who was instrumental in setting up Federal subsidies for higher education.

Anyway, how does having been a proponent of those things make him a republican?

I know that you love to disagree with me, but how do you see Biden representing the base of folks that you need to vote to oust Trump? I don’t see anything outside of name recognition.

Are you for fucking real?

Biden is polling anywhere from 10-20 points up among likely DEMOCRATIC primary voters. That's just a fucking fact.

And then you yourself said not three posts earlier that he was running a campaign to win centrists (read INDEPENDENTS) and "never Trump republicans".

And then you are asking how he'll have the appeal needed to win? You've answered your own question how he'll have the appeal needed to win.

I get the appeal of Biden.

Biden is the "not Trump" vote

Biden is the "return to normal" vote

But that normal was still really shitty for a lot of people

Biden is the vote that thinks Trump is the problem

Biden is the vote that brings "If Hillary had won, we'd be at brunch" signs to marches

Biden is the vote of white liberalism that wants everyone to know that they are one of the good ones who get it and who say all the right things, but don't want to give up any of their privilege to stand in solidarity with the vulnerable

Biden is the vote that likes programs, but doesn't want to look too hard at underlying systems

Biden very well may the person who stacks up against Trump the best. But he's not the best candidate. And he's not the only candidate who can match Trump. Beating Trump isn't the only objective, and in the primary phase, I want to find the best person to lead the country. If Biden wins the primary, so be it. I'll vote for him and most likely campaign for him (at the very least put a lot of energy into GOTV and voter access initiatives). But I don't see him as being the best president of those in the field.

Back