• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I get the appeal of Biden.

Biden is the "not Trump" vote

Biden is the "return to normal" vote

But that normal was still really shitty for a lot of people

Biden is the vote that thinks Trump is the problem

Biden is the vote that brings "If Hillary had won, we'd be at brunch" signs to marches

Biden is the vote of white liberalism that wants everyone to know that they are one of the good ones who get it and who say all the right things, but don't want to give up any of their privilege to stand in solidarity with the vulnerable

Biden is the vote that likes programs, but doesn't want to look too hard at underlying systems

Biden very well may the person who stacks up against Trump the best. But he's not the best candidate. And he's not the only candidate who can match Trump. Beating Trump isn't the only objective, and in the primary phase, I want to find the best person to lead the country. If Biden wins the primary, so be it. I'll vote for him and most likely campaign for him (at the very least put a lot of energy into GOTV and voter access initiatives). But I don't see him as being the best president of those in the field.

You must have disliked Obama as well. Unfortunately, this country is still a fairly conservative country, and you're not going to elect someone who is that far left as president. In the last 50 years, we have nominated 3 pretty left wing folks in McGovern, Mondale and Dukakis, and they were trounced. More moderate Dems have been 5-4 in the EC and 7-2 in the popular vote during that period. On a number of occasions, including a few pages back, I've asked folks how someone like Bernie can get from the 210-220 range to 270, and I'm still waiting for that explanation. In order to do so, you have to win at least half of VA, NC, FL, AZ, NV, IA, PA, MI and WI, and I don't see how Bernie does that. And this is not against a generic Pub, it's against an historically unpopular asshat who has told 60% of the country to fuck off and only appeals to his base.

I have long since abandoned idealism in favor of the politics of the possible. I get that Trump has made the left lose their minds and that he is a threat to democracy. For every action, there is an equal and opposing reaction. And the Dem reaction in terms of the candidates running has been mostly to lurch leftwards with bold new policy proposals (with the notable exceptions of Biden and Klobuchar). But the hard left is refusing to see what won the 2018 midterms. It wasn't AOC in her bluest of blue districts, even though she gets the most attention. It was moderate Dems like Spanberger and Luria here in VA and Sinema in AZ who won in purple and reddish purple districts. And to beat Trump in 2020, you're going to have to win purple and reddish purple states, and you're not doing that with Sanders or Warren.

I wish she was getting more traction too. I think it’s just messaging and PR at this point, if she has a solid first debate I think she will see a bump. But she has not been able to get a “Harris: [insert quote or position here]” headline recently that really captures people.

She and Gillibrand were seen as 2 more moderate Dems who have taken that leftward lurch over the last couple years. I was particularly irritated at her anti free trade stance she took a week or so ago. We're watching Trump's trade wars killing farmers in the midwest to the point we have to spend money to bail them out and starting to drive consumer prices up, and too many Dem candidates are still maintaining their anti free trade stances. I also thought she'd be doing better in the polls than she is, but it is what it is. But don't put too much stock in the debates - they're mostly meaningless. The only thing you want to do in debates is avoid your Rick Perry moment and just get out your talking points. Look at it this way, did Trump perform well in the debates as he stalked Hillary? And he still won.

Bret, you need us more than we need your economy and planet ruining generations

Curious as to what personal actions you have taken to combat the climate and pollution crisis? Or has your carbon footprint in comparison been equal to or greater than that of generations past despite of having greater knowledge of the negative impacts?

Curious as to what personal actions you have taken to combat the climate and pollution crisis? Or has your carbon footprint in comparison been equal to or greater than that of generations past despite of having greater knowledge of the negative impacts?

For starters, every day I call you on the phony bullshit you post

I'm over here on a soap box talking about a trillion dollar (because what's another trillion in debt really gonna do, its all fake money at this point) train infrastructure project bro. Are you even listening?

I'm over here on a soap box talking about a trillion dollar (because what's another trillion in debt really gonna do, its all fake money at this point) train infrastructure project bro. Are you even listening?

I'd take hyperloop>train, but hard to disagree with this.

Climate change is almost certainly a solvable problem if governments would just work together to do it and stop worrying about losing out on some short-lived 0.02% increase in GDP compared to their competitors. The technology is here to do it (Nuclear, solar, wind, electric cars or trains, etc.) we just need the political will and courage to implement it.

The "gotcha " questions are why Warren refused to go on Fox News. They ask Buttigieg to talk about policy.....of the naming of the Jefferson-Jackson dinner. They then take a soundbite and use it against Pete and Democrats on all their other shows.

Pete is making his first big campaign trip to FL today in Miami. He picked up an endorsement from the Dem nominee for AG, Sean Shaw.

Pete is making his first big campaign trip to FL today in Miami. He picked up an endorsement from the Dem nominee for AG, Sean Shaw.

Uhh, the former Insurance Commissioner from the State of Florida who founded some nonprofit no one's ever heard of is not that significant. Cherie Berry would be a bigger endorsement.

Back