• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Once again, you are being a hypocrite.

What? I’ve vocally criticized his gun rights record. Think it’s a mark against him. It’s not disqualifying because it’s an exception rather than the rule. Biden’s record is much more marred, and the crime bill is a bad piece of legislation. If he were as repentant as Bernie about bad voting it’d be ok.

Yup. No information out there on the internet on school quality. Impossible to find. You certainly couldn’t go to any real estate site and get a numerical score for every local school.
Dude that's just crazy talk. When we were in the market for a house five years ago there's no way that I could have known that the elementary middle and high school all had ratings of 8 or higher

Last edited:
there is a great tension between the policy goal of great public education and an individual family's decision around where to send their kid

especially in a country with such a profound legacy of racial and socioeconomic segregation

separately, is GreatSchools a good tool for measuring a school? all those real estate website calculations -- Walk Score, etc. -- seem kinda bogus

greatschools.org

We limited our housing search to anything rated 7 or above.

Which due to many factors such as property value, responsiveness of school boards to certain schools, wealth of the PTA - which are all racially coded in our country - will all produce a high correlation to whiteness of the school.

separately, is GreatSchools a good tool for measuring a school? all those real estate website calculations -- Walk Score, etc. -- seem kinda bogus
I focus on the test scores and academic achievement area. The schools I send our kids to actually have a average to slightly above-average low income student percentages.

And to think, Ph challenged me when I made a comment about Williamson last night.

there is a great tension between the policy goal of great public education and an individual family's decision around where to send their kid

especially in a country with such a profound legacy of racial and socioeconomic segregation

And there's a ceiling on public education success that won't be broken until the socioeconomic issues are dealt with. As an example, DC tries to keep throwing money at its issues. It's just not going to work until kids' home situations improve.

She's a self-help guru and Huey Lewis aficionado.

Yeah, I just wiki'd her - seems new agey, and I don't think I'll be reading any of those books. Hadn't heard of her before today. Ben Casselman had a good tweet today - said he spent all night wondering who Williamson sounded like, and this morning his wife came up with it - Burt Macklin's girlfriend Janet Snakehole.

The amount of property taxes that go to schools thrown in with federal funding and it’s like what the hell are we doing.

Her demeanor is Kamala de Vil (Harris).

A problem for anyone but especially so in a party that requires constant signals of heartfelt compassion above all else.

You don’t respect many women, do you?

There's no doubt that a great deal of the intense opposition to Hillary in 2016 was the loathing of many conservatives at the very notion of having a "ball busting" woman serving as Chief Executive. I have little doubt that if a woman is the Democratic nominee in 2020, they will face the same private (and in many cases not-so-private) sexism and misogyny as well. A good many Americans are simply not willing to vote for a woman as POTUS, especially if she has the reputation of being tough, sharp, and outspoken. What's good for the gander is most definitely not good for the goose, politically speaking.

It’s going to be interesting to see the hordes of people who get excited about Trump’s “angry white man” routine clutch their pearls about Kamala being angry.

Back