• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

What's the answer then?

Candidates like Carter, Clinton, and Obama instead of candidates like Mondale, Gore, and Kerry. (Don’t remember how establishment Dukakis was)

Candidates who build enthusiasm and generate turnout. Candidates who show a distinct contrast to Trump.

Candidates like Carter, Clinton, and Obama instead of candidates like Mondale, Gore, and Kerry. (Don’t remember how establishment Dukakis was)

Candidates who build enthusiasm and generate turnout. Candidates who show a distinct contrast to Trump.

Mayor Pete is the only one in this crowd that does that for me and he is too green. The rest are just meh as there is no Clinton/Obama in this bunch.

just such a perfect distillation of the Democratic Party in 2019

3 of the last 4 Republican presidents have been an actor, a legacy, and a reality tv star/playboy. The actor and the legacy got 2 terms, and the reality tv star very well might. Tough to talk to dems about policy over electability.

Last edited:
And the last 3 Dem presidents have been people who weren’t nationally known before they ran.

Mayor Pete is the only one in this crowd that does that for me and he is too green. The rest are just meh as there is no Clinton/Obama in this bunch.

Same here. I like Pete the best by far of the top 5, and I like a couple of the others who are only generating 1% or less. And not only is there no Bubba or Barack in this crowd, some of the candidates are beating up on Barack to attack Biden. You don't need to do that to attack Biden, and attacking Obama makes you appear left wing loony. Warren does this the correct way at least and talks about building on Obama's legacy. I'm increasingly feeling like we're really going to blow this and re-elect Trump.

And the last 3 Dem presidents have been people who weren’t nationally known before they ran.

BS. Obama ran second to Hillary in the polls throughout 2006 and 2007, ahead of Edwards. And in some polls it was closer than this race is now. You're creating a false narrative about Obama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natio..._2008_Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries

And Bill Clinton's 1992 campaign just didn't have a strong frontrunner. He beat Jerry Brown and Paul Tsongas for the nomination FFS.

Carter beat Jerry Brown and George Fucking Wallace.

BS. Obama ran second to Hillary in the polls throughout 2006 and 2007, ahead of Edwards. And in some polls it was closer than this race is now. You're creating a false narrative about Obama.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natio..._2008_Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries

And Bill Clinton's 1992 campaign just didn't have a strong frontrunner. He beat Jerry Brown and Paul Tsongas for the nomination FFS.

Carter beat Jerry Brown and George Fucking Wallace.

So you're citing primary polls to say Obama was nationally known before he ran. Think about that for a second.

Tailspin is a bit clickbait-y. It’s not great, but the post-first debate bounce was always likely a bit inflated. The most concerning aspect of the drop is the decline in non-white support. Harris’ clearest path to the nomination has always been an Obama-esque coalition of minority voters and enough white voters to get over the line. If she continues dropping in minority support, it is more troubling than just a general big drop in numbers. My guess is that Harris will level out at around 8-9% going into the 3rd debate, roughly where she was pre-debates.

So you're citing primary polls to say Obama was nationally known before he ran. Think about that for a second.

You're acting like Mayor Pete has asome chance in this race and he doesn't.

I'm also citing polls from a year before the primaries start to show that he was actually a viable candidate at this point, unlike the group of actual unknowns who are still crowding the stage at debates.

And yes, the guy who gave the keynote at the DNC in 2004 is not an unknown. He had two bestsellers and a Grammy before he announced his campaign run. But sure, not nationally known.

Tailspin is a bit clickbait-y. It’s not great, but the post-first debate bounce was always likely a bit inflated. The most concerning aspect of the drop is the decline in non-white support. Harris’ clearest path to the nomination has always been an Obama-esque coalition of minority voters and enough white voters to get over the line. If she continues dropping in minority support, it is more troubling than just a general big drop in numbers. My guess is that Harris will level out at around 8-9% going into the 3rd debate, roughly where she was pre-debates.

She lost over 2/3 of her support in six weeks. Let me know with "tailspin" is appropriate.

It's almost as if black people don't want someone who laughed about locking up moms and made fun of BLM activists wanting to build schools instead of jails.

You're acting like Mayor Pete has asome chance in this race and he doesn't.

I'm also citing polls from a year before the primaries start to show that he was actually a viable candidate at this point, unlike the group of actual unknowns who are still crowding the stage at debates.

And yes, the guy who gave the keynote at the DNC in 2004 is not an unknown. He had two bestsellers and a Grammy before he announced his campaign run. But sure, not nationally known.

Those are primary polls. They're polls of who will win the primary.

So far your points are:

--Obama was nationally known before he ran because the polls show him in second while he was running.
--Obama was nationally known 2 years before he ran instead of when he ran.

Neither refutes my point that unknown Democrats fare better than establishment candidates. Nobody at all knew who Obama was before his 2004 speech. He was president 4.5 years later. He went from complete unknown to an ex-president in the same time it took Hillary to go from former first lady to failed presidential candidate.

Last edited:
Whatever dude. Most of these candidates are going to be answers to trivia questions in three years while Biden is kicking it in the WH.

Obama was pretty well known. He was identified as a rising star after the DNC speech. He was also still considered a massive underdog and a minor speed bump at worst for Clinton’s coronation.

Back