• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

I agree that Warren is the best candidate and that the debates show that.

And that Biden needs to go away.

Any of these folks are infinitely better than what we have now. Even without a congress to support them. Better if Dems can get that to somehow.

People were actually bothered by Castro going after Biden? I thought that was one of his strongest moments. We are already dealing with a mentally declining buffoon in the White House, and Biden is even older (although less buffoon-y). It’s absolutely fair to have a conversation about whether a candidate will have the mental faculties to handle the Presidency.

More effective if the particular point is accurate and expressed as a concern rather than like a schoolyard taunt.

I'm not so sure anymore. Polling is extremely high in favor some form of gun regulation. If the Dems can keep it focused on high capacity magazines and AR-15 weapons, all of which really should be banned, they might be able to hold the line on that one.

Agreed that without the mandatory buyback that the Dems owned the gun issue. But by coming up with a policy to effectively "confiscate" guns, the Dems will be on the defensive. From now until next summer, the NRA and the right will use this to try to stop universal background checks and banning high capacity devices. Beto gave them their slippery slope.

People were actually bothered by Castro going after Biden? I thought that was one of his strongest moments. We are already dealing with a mentally declining buffoon in the White House, and Biden is even older (although less buffoon-y). It’s absolutely fair to have a conversation about whether a candidate will have the mental faculties to handle the Presidency.

The problem is what Castro said was totally false. Both Chris Matthews and Chris Cuomo read Biden's statement to Castro after the debate to show him he was wrong and Castro doubled down even after being shown what he alleged Biden said wasn't what Biden said.

If you want to talk about that issue, you lie to do so.

Agreed that without the mandatory buyback that the Dems owned the gun issue. But by coming up with a policy to effectively "confiscate" guns, the Dems will be on the defensive. From now until next summer, the NRA and the right will use this to try to stop universal background checks and banning high capacity devices. Beto gave them their slippery slope.

McConnell has bills on his desk right now he could sign! They're actively not addressing those concerns now. Beto was finally the first Dem candidate ever not to be utterly chickenshit and say HELL YES I'm coming for your AR-15s. For so long on guns, Dems have been fighting fire with absolutely nothing while the right uses NRA money and scare tactics to whip up the base into a fury. Time's up, gun owners, for your insane arsenals of military style weapons. Why are you so insistent on doing the GOP's job for them every step of the way.

It's like listening to Klobuchar talk, if you're so resistant to any kind of meaningful change, but you're a good technocratic centrist uniter, just go be a sensible Republican! That party wants you desperately.

It's a little easier to label Warren as far left when she says she wants to get rid of all private insurance than it is to label someone like Biden. And yeah, there will be 3 presidential debates so we do need to think about it. Warren is all over the substance, if she can add in some shorter zingers, I'd be more confident in her debating Trump. I'm all into the candidates having serious substance. But Trump being elected and the size of his rallies should be proof to all of you that such knowledge isn't what is required to be elected.

The problem with stating you want to get rid of private insurance by law rather than the business taking of it for us is that it scares the shit out of tens of millions of people. The reality is allowing every person and every business to buy into Medicare would destroy private insurance without scaring the voters.

If you are an employer and can save 30-40% on one of your biggest costs, you will take that option. With the vast savings, employers could buy the supplemental policies that cover all co-pays and RX while still saving 15-25%. They would be getting much much for massive savings.

Private insurance as the backbone of coverage will go the way of travel agents after the internet came into existence. You can get the same results (probably faster) without freaking out the public.

The goal should be to get everyone covered not using any one phrase.

McConnell has bills on his desk right now he could sign! They're actively not addressing those concerns now. Beto was finally the first Dem candidate ever not to be utterly chickenshit and say HELL YES I'm coming for your AR-15s. For so long on guns, Dems have been fighting fire with absolutely nothing while the right uses NRA money and scare tactics to whip up the base into a fury. Time's up, gun owners, for your insane arsenals of military style weapons. Why are you so insistent on doing the GOP's job for them every step of the way.

It's like listening to Klobuchar talk, if you're so resistant to any kind of meaningful change, but you're a good technocratic centrist uniter, just go be a sensible Republican! That party wants you desperately.

Just like you misread the post a couple days ago, a couple of months, years ago, you doing your Pavolovian best again. It's not about being a "centrist uniter". People have been trying to close the gun show loophole for decades. People have been trying to get to universal background checks for decades. To get that done would be a massive and important change. To get rid of expanded capacity devices would be a game changer.

To give those up to try to get something that won't happen is moronic and why you will lose. However, if you get those done and win, you can go to getting some gun sales banned.

The bottom line is your childish, take your ball and go home, position will cost the election and many lives.

I really think he will sit out the debates. I do think he would relish the opportunity to call Warren "Pocahontas" to her face, so maybe he does the first one then cancels the other two and holds rallies instead.

I don't know, he seems to prefer insulting people behind their backs.

RJ said “Pavlovian”, everyone take a shot

Just like you misread the post a couple days ago, a couple of months, years ago, you doing your Pavolovian best again. It's not about being a "centrist uniter". People have been trying to close the gun show loophole for decades. People have been trying to get to universal background checks for decades. To get that done would be a massive and important change. To get rid of expanded capacity devices would be a game changer.

To give those up to try to get something that won't happen is moronic and why you will lose. However, if you get those done and win, you can go to getting some gun sales banned.

The bottom line is your childish, take your ball and go home, position will cost the election and many lives.

Overton window is real, but say what you want to accomplish in debates/campaigns, not what's legislatively possible after decades. The American voter is not a policy analyst on the hill. Americans want assault weapons off the streets, it's massively popular.

I don't know, he seems to prefer insulting people behind their backs.

True. He'll probably just yell about Pocahontas at his rally, saying she wanted to debate him but it's pointless because he would beat her so badly.

Banning the sale of assault weapons is one thing. Mandatory buybacks plays into the "confiscation" mantra and stops all other laws. Beto is probably right in the long run, but he's giving Moscow Mitch an excuse to do nothing.

Again READ what I wrote. I didn't say it would take decades to get assault weapons (which Biden did get banned in the 90s). I said it has taken decades to get where we are re: background checks and high capacity devices. We need to get that done without killing the progress that is in our grasp. We also need to do it now to not lose the momentum that existed until last night.

It's totally dishonest to change what I said so clearly to fit your needs. You've been doing the same thing for years and years. I had hopes that your admitting you "misread" what I posted a couple of days ago that you would stop this pattern. Sadly, it looks like I was wrong.

McConnell doesn't need an excuse to do nothing. It's what he's most proud of.

McConnell doesn't need an excuse to do nothing. It's what he's most proud of.

Absolutely agree. However, there has been motion from his senators to do background checks to help them defend their seats. The momentum has been growing dramatically. Moscow Mitch soon wouldn't have had a choice if he wanted to keep his job. That's what's most important to him.

"Confiscation" gives Mitch an out.

Agree completely. And it is good to have someone with zero chance of securing the nomination doing the dirty work.

Agree completely. And it is good to have someone with zero chance of securing the nomination doing the dirty work.

Before last night, I thought Castro was the logical VP pick if Warren won. After last night, if Castro continues down this path, he will alienate so many people that his chances will evaporate.

Back