• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

3 debates in, and Warren has been the most impressive every time. I think Mayor Pete would be a good VP to get midwestern votes and Beto had a strong showing last night that pushed him ahead of Castro. I think Mayor Pete would destroy Pence in a VP debate.

Ha! Forgot this part. Stephanopolous was so salty.

Harris pulled out a peculiar reference when discussing her gripes about Trump's trade policies.

"But the bottom line is this: Donald Trump, in office on trade policy, you know, he reminds me of that guy in 'The Wizard of Oz,' when you pull back the curtain, it's a really small dude?" she asked.

Moderator George Stephanopolous, who is 5'5", did not appear amused by the question. "OK, I'm not even going to take the bait, Senator Harris,” he responded.

Link

Banning the sale of assault weapons is one thing. Mandatory buybacks plays into the "confiscation" mantra and stops all other laws. Beto is probably right in the long run, but he's giving Moscow Mitch an excuse to do nothing.

Again READ what I wrote. I didn't say it would take decades to get assault weapons (which Biden did get banned in the 90s). I said it has taken decades to get where we are re: background checks and high capacity devices. We need to get that done without killing the progress that is in our grasp. We also need to do it now to not lose the momentum that existed until last night.

It's totally dishonest to change what I said so clearly to fit your needs. You've been doing the same thing for years and years. I had hopes that your admitting you "misread" what I posted a couple of days ago that you would stop this pattern. Sadly, it looks like I was wrong.

RJ, even a FoxNews Poll found that 67% of people supported a ban on assault weapons.
67% supported banning assault rifles and semi-automatic weapons.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/sep/12/joe-biden/biden-exaggerated-percentage-americans-who-favor-a/

There's a huge difference between banning new sales and a mandatory buy back. Banning new sales isn't confiscation.

I'd love to get rid of all military rifles, but it's not going to happen. Even trying for it could destroy the real opportunity to get universal background checks and high capacity magazines.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good- Ted Kennedy

Last edited:
Absolutely agree. However, there has been motion from his senators to do background checks to help them defend their seats. The momentum has been growing dramatically. Moscow Mitch soon wouldn't have had a choice if he wanted to keep his job. That's what's most important to him.

"Confiscation" gives Mitch an out.

He doesn't need a goddamned out. He does whatever the fuck he wants all the time.

Meanwhile, here's someone not mincing words about their intent with guns:

neither is mandatory buy back

Mandatory buy back is de facto confiscation as one can't keep the weapon without charges against you. You can play word games all you like, but that's all we'll hear from now until Nov. 2020 if this is policy demand. It will bring out more Trump voters in PA, MI, WI.

Take a win on background checks and magazines and beating Trump. Then do more. If we don't beat Trump nothing matters.

Mandatory buy back is de facto confiscation as one can't keep the weapon without charges against you. You can play word games all you like, but that's all we'll hear from now until Nov. 2020 if this is policy demand. It will bring out more Trump voters in PA, MI, WI.

Take a win on background checks and magazines and beating Trump. Then do more. If we don't beat Trump nothing matters.

you calling it 'confiscation' is literally the definition of word games in favor of gun rights advocates

The data suggests you're wrong about this. Reinstate the ban (broadly popular), work messaging around buyback. It works. We absolutely cannot be too timid to try things. Gen Z will not show up to the polls if we run a candidate too afraid to tackle guns and climate meaningfully.

you calling it 'confiscation' is literally the definition of word games in favor of gun rights advocates

Not at all. Whether the government pays you for taking your guns or the government doesn't pay you and takes your guns. The government has taken your guns. Thus, the gun nuts will say "confiscation" and be accurate.

The data suggests you're wrong about this. Reinstate the ban (broadly popular), work messaging around buyback. It works. We absolutely cannot be too timid to try things. Gen Z will not show up to the polls if we run a candidate too afraid to tackle guns and climate meaningfully.

This. Too many Dems are scared to lose votes from Gen X and Boomer white people (their peers) without realizing those voters aren't coming back and they risk losing new voters.

Not at all. Whether the government pays you for taking your guns or the government doesn't pay you and takes your guns. The government has taken your guns. Thus, the gun nuts will say "confiscation" and be accurate.

no one is trying to win the votes of Gun Nuts, here. those people will vote for trump literally no matter what happens

Yesterday, I thought there might be some hope for you when you realized you read my post wrong and admitted it. Unfortunately, old habits are really, really difficult to overcome. You have gone right back to where you habve been for over a decade.

The poll you quote has NOTHING to do with what I said AND you bolded. Your poll is about the general population. My post is CLEARLY about SPECIFIC people. AGAIN, you try and fail to change what I say into whay you want me to have said.

As usual, you being totally dishonest.

No Dem is going to wimp out on climate. Getting universal background checks on every change in ownership and getting rid of magazines would be huge and give a step up to doing more. But you and your Gen Z threat proves my point again. If you don't get EVERYTHING you want, right when you want, you'll stay home and re-elect Trump.

You'll live the balance of your adult life in an openly racist, horrific environment, corporately overlord society just to prove your immaturity. But that will show the rest of us!!!

no one is trying to win the votes of Gun Nuts, here. those people will vote for trump literally no matter what happens

If you go for confiscation MORE will come out in Western PA, MI, WI and other places to vote. It's about energizing people who probably wouldn't voter otherwise.

Why call for something that won't happen and would hurt just to prove a "point"?

agree to disagree (also, you're wrong)

look, boomers gave it their best shot with Hillary and failed. move over.

Yesterday, I thought there might be some hope for you when you realized you read my post wrong and admitted it. Unfortunately, old habits are really, really difficult to overcome. You have gone right back to where you habve been for over a decade.

The poll you quote has NOTHING to do with what I said AND you bolded. Your poll is about the general population. My post is CLEARLY about SPECIFIC people. AGAIN, you try and fail to change what I say into whay you want me to have said.

As usual, you being totally dishonest.

No Dem is going to wimp out on climate. Getting universal background checks on every change in ownership and getting rid of magazines would be huge and give a step up to doing more. But you and your Gen Z threat proves my point again. If you don't get EVERYTHING you want, right when you want, you'll stay home and re-elect Trump.

You'll live the balance of your adult life in an openly racist, horrific environment, corporately overlord society just to prove your immaturity. But that will show the rest of us!!!

On ignore. You're too dumb to engage with.

No, you are too dishonest to admit that change what I say to fit your needs.

he's not being dishonest. he's saying the people YOU blame for Trump (gen z) aren't interested in center left policy proposals and reaching across aisle. a general pop poll is more useful than "gun rights advocates"

Back