• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

That's a straw man. The point isn't that you can only vote for someone who excites you, it's that you should vote based on what excites *you*, rather than trying to vote on behalf of some hypothetical moderate swing constituency. At this point in time there *already* is a candidate who gets millions of Democratic voters excited, and who poll after poll leads in trust and popularity with general Dem voters. Maybe the most cynical of us -who aren't excited, should be getting behind *that* candidate, instead of fighting for that hypothetical moderate.

So your point is that we shouldn’t vote for who excites us. We should vote for who excites you.

I'm hoping its Bernie. He's the only one who can get the rubes on his side, because he's actually been fighting for them for 40 years. Plus everyone wants another 8 years of Larry David.

Rubes are too smart for Bernie's policies. He needs indoctrinated sophomores forever.

Nope. You did not fall for Bernie's policies. You certainly aren't indoctrinated by trump tv... quick can I get a lock her up or build that wall? Maybe a nice "<non whites> will not replace us!"

Blue no matter who!

Bloomberg would sign a Bernie bill. Trump won’t.

Using prison labor in general is pretty unethical, but I guess we're post-ethics until we have defeated Trump (or something)

Not post-ethical. Most ethical. As in vote for the most ethical candidate instead of not voting at all and giving it to Trump.

I’m for giving prisoners the opportunity to work and acquire skills they can use after they get out of prison. And at fair market wages they could have a nice amount to start with which should help lower recidivism. So basically nothing like the current system.

Also prisons should be educational institutions taught by the glut of PhDs frozen out of the academic job market.

Last edited:
I’m failing to understand this whole fundraising issue, and I say that with all sincerity. Maybe I’m missing something here. Let’s say Bernie or Warren win the nomination. I’m a billionaire and want to support their campaign. Now, because of my wealth they won’t accept my money. However, I decide to donate a large sum to a PAC of my choosing in the hopes of getting them elected. Unless, I’m missing something, nothing is stopping me from doing this. What will Bernie or Warren do? And, more importantly, what’s the difference?

People need to remember we live in a world where trump is accepting foreign money into his campaign. Remember Russians donating to the NRA? Saudi's booking a bunch of hotel rooms, paying, but barely showing up to actually use the rooms. He his inauguration committee took in over 100 million dollars. More than twice the previous record.

I get what Bernie and Warren want to do. I applaud it. But this is not currently a fair fight.

I had the chance to visit the women's prison in Raleigh a few years ago and saw their call center. Most of NCs "Visit NC" tourist campaign is staffed by female prisoners from this prison. I had no idea calls centers were run from prison....

Back