• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Nominees

Who knows? Some families give greater importance to these types of things. I personally don't give a shit, but my wife is mostly Ukrainian and she has certain traditions she continues, and it means something to her and she talks about it with our kids. My 9 year old son's teacher just sent us one of his answers to a question about a book, and he mentions it (to my surprise) :

On page 60, Kek prepares for his
first day of school.

‘In the bathing room, I look hard in the shiny glass.

I wonder if I look like an America boy...’ Is there such thing
as an “America boy”? Use evidence from the text to explain why or why not?

There
is no such thing as an American boy because I could be an american boy but I am Ukrainian. I am 2 different things and now Kek is too because he has just moved to America from Sudan. I think it is not possible to be an american boy because no one is 100% American
or Sudanese or Ukrainian

or
canadian or asian etc. We are all world people. We are not one thing.

We
are many...

(dramatic
pause)

Shoo, I get that if you're mostly 1 thing, and if your family came over more recently - and especially if you have a persecuted history, like if you're Jewish or Armenian. But both sides of my family have been here since at least pre-Civil War. So I know we're mostly English and German, but I figure there is probably a little of a few other things thrown in as well because we've been here so long.

Wrong, William McKinley was the republican president that cemented the GOP policies of traditional GOP conservative policies I.E low taxes and limited government intervention in the economy. Teddy Roosevelt was far left of middle for the GOP at the time he was elected and made pushes to move the GOP in a more progressive direction. Also there is a case to be made that breaking up monopolies and allowing fair economic competition in the market place falls in line with conventional conservative policies of promoting fair competition in an open marketplace. FDR was the president that set the modern Democratic platform.

Again the classic splits of conservatism vs liberalism happened WELL before the the Democrats stopped being the KKKs party.

Tying the KKK to either party is ridiculous because regardless of party label, the KKK has and still does support whichever party hosts the more conservative ideals. The GOP and Democrats were not as ideologically monolithic when McKinley and FDR were around - both parties had conservatives and liberals within the party (whereas now ideology is the best determining factor for party affiliation).

Pointing to either party as the "KKK's party" is disingenuous when you can just tie the KKK's support directly to conservative ideology.

Shoo, I get that if you're mostly 1 thing, and if your family came over more recently - and especially if you have a persecuted history, like if you're Jewish or Armenian. But both sides of my family have been here since at least pre-Civil War. So I know we're mostly English and German, but I figure there is probably a little of a few other things thrown in as well because we've been here so long.

I get that, but families pass stories and traditions down generation to generation. Who knows how that was handled in Warren's family. And speaking of persecuted histories, Native Americans need to be included in that list.

Tying the KKK to either party is ridiculous because regardless of party label, the KKK has and still does support whichever party hosts the more conservative ideals. The GOP and Democrats were not as ideologically monolithic when McKinley and FDR were around - both parties had conservatives and liberals within the party (whereas now ideology is the best determining factor for party affiliation).

Pointing to either party as the "KKK's party" is disingenuous when you can just tie the KKK's support directly to conservative ideology.
Socially conservative, sure.

What isn't the KKK conservative about?

BTW, you just blew up your entire BS concept of trying to "liberals".

I get that, but families pass stories and traditions down generation to generation. Who knows how that was handled in Warren's family. And speaking of persecuted histories, Native Americans need to be included in that list.

my wife's family had a legend that one member defied his family and married an native american woman. MIL took a DNA test and revealed no NA DNA.

womp womp

Man here's the deal, 95% of white families in America have family lore that there is Native American heritage somewhere in the family line. It's just something white families like to romanticizes and talk about, still pretty fucked up if you think about it.

0% of those families list Native America when applying for the Texas state bar or whatever that crazy did.

Pretty much.

WhoTF romanticizes about whether their bloodline has some Native American heritage in it? My mother's side of the family thinks they have some from way back, but I could give a shite whether we do or don't. I would think that for most American families whose bloodline here goes back 2-3 centuries, there is a good chance you have some Native American and/or African heritage. Especially if your family spent any time in the West Indies.

White people love being a percentage not white but not enough lose their whiteness. 23andMe and Ancestry.com and the like are banking on it.

That depends on which American History textbook you're reading.;) And for the record, it was not my intent for Jews and Armenians to be the exhaustive list of persecuted ethnicities.

I'm perfectly happy being 100% white. I am not exotic at all.

Lol ok bro

It’s almost like southern democrats wanted to protect their financially liberal agenda at the Federal level while still protecting their racist ideology at the state and local levels. But they are all still part of that same great party.

It’s almost like southern democrats wanted to protect their financially liberal agenda at the Federal level while still protecting their racist ideology at the state and local levels. But they are all still part of that same great party.

Southern Dems were the CONSERVATIVES of that era. Why can't you get that through your head?

Back