• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Primary

It doesn't have to be the exact list of people and positions he sets out. But none of them have focused on showing how they'll bring other wings of the party into the fold. And since the field hasn't started to consolidate yet, there's a great opportunity for someone to encourage that consolidation by pro-actively welcoming others onto their team prior to beating others out.

I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of Sanders’s (and probably Warren’s) positions on the other “wings” of the party.

It doesn't have to be the exact list of people and positions he sets out. But none of them have focused on showing how they'll bring other wings of the party into the fold. And since the field hasn't started to consolidate yet, there's a great opportunity for someone to encourage that consolidation by pro-actively welcoming others onto their team prior to beating others out.

I’m saying naming a bunch of cabinet positions isn’t really a way to do that. And I think your premise is wrong. We know for a fact Biden, Klob, and Bloomberg have shifted their policy positions significantly to the left to appeal to Progressives.

Are we surprised that a guy who hasn’t won an election in 20 years isn’t too keen on letting the winner of the primary stand and would prefer to let party elites appoint the next nominee (which is how he’s gotten every position he’s held in politics since 2007)?

That's not math. That's reality. If you were going to vote for a Dem and don't, you are voting for Trump. You are taking that vote away from the Dem. It's that simple.

I know you want to have an excuse for helping re-elect Trump, but if you don't vote for whatever Dem is nominated, you are helping Trump.

Be "pure" and then live the majority of your life trying to regain what will be taken away over the next four years.

I’d argue for a Warren/Klob ticket or Warren/Harris. The two least offensive and most prepared candidates who unfortunately never garnered enough support in spatially strategic locations. Warren has a lot of support nationally, just not enough in the early primary states.

Nice mental gymnastics in favor of your preferred candidate.

That's why I literally waited till yesterday to early vote for Biden.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to agree with you. A few weeks ago, I was hoping that Buttigieg's tie and strong 2nd in the 1st 2 states would have propped him up as the Sanders alternative, and more folks would have jumped on that train as Biden was sinking in the polls. But the polls say Buttigieg is slated to have an awful ST. Warren too. So it's down to a 3 horse race between 3 way too old white guys, and I'm livid at Bloomberg. The people who do his commercials are great. But no one prepared him on how to handle press and debate questions, and he's fumbled most of them. He's painted himself as the man to take down Trump, but he is incompetent at answering questions and is not worthy of any votes. I just got off the phone with my 1 friend who had been banging the Bloomberg drum over the last month or 2. When I asked him what he was going to do on Tuesday, he said that after Bloomberg's awful performances, his wife has talked him into voting for Biden. So assuming the polls are right, and Biden wins SC by 10-15%*, I think that's where I'm depressingly headed.

*EV.com had a blurb today on a new Pub ratfucking tactic. If your state has canceled it's Pub primary, go vote for Sanders in the Dem primary. Which is exactly what 1 of my sisters did in the MD primary in 2016. And that's my 1 family member that I actually like.

Nice mental gymnastics in favor of your preferred candidate.

Actually, a Warren/Klobuchar or ticket would be a nice compromise ticket should we have a contested convention. They generally have been less offensive than some of the men, and they certainly have been the most consistently prepared candidates and 2 of the best debaters.

Actually, a Warren/Klobuchar or ticket would be a nice compromise ticket should we have a contested convention. They generally have been less offensive than some of the men, and they certainly have been the most consistently prepared candidates and 2 of the best debaters.

Then we should just cancel primaries in the future if we're going to select candidates who can't win them.

I’ve gone from Warren early to Buttigieg then lately back to Warren.

But now seriously considering voting reluctantly for Biden later today.

I think Warren, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg are all preferable over Biden. But Biden seems most possibly able to beat Sanders.

F it, maybe I’ll just vote for Warren anyhow.

Or Biden.

Sheesh.

Then we should just cancel primaries in the future if we're going to select candidates who can't win them.

Dude, if no one has 1990, we'll have a brokered convention. You don't "win" the nomination unless you can get to 1990. Dems da rules.

Unfortunately, I'm beginning to agree with you. A few weeks ago, I was hoping that Buttigieg's tie and strong 2nd in the 1st 2 states would have propped him up as the Sanders alternative, and more folks would have jumped on that train as Biden was sinking in the polls. But the polls say Buttigieg is slated to have an awful ST. Warren too. So it's down to a 3 horse race between 3 way too old white guys, and I'm livid at Bloomberg. The people who do his commercials are great. But no one prepared him on how to handle press and debate questions, and he's fumbled most of them. He's painted himself as the man to take down Trump, but he is incompetent at answering questions and is not worthy of any votes. I just got off the phone with my 1 friend who had been banging the Bloomberg drum over the last month or 2. When I asked him what he was going to do on Tuesday, he said that after Bloomberg's awful performances, his wife has talked him into voting for Biden. So assuming the polls are right, and Biden wins SC by 10-15%*, I think that's where I'm depressingly headed.

*EV.com had a blurb today on a new Pub ratfucking tactic. If your state has canceled it's Pub primary, go vote for Sanders in the Dem primary. Which is exactly what 1 of my sisters did in the MD primary in 2016. And that's my 1 family member that I actually like.

For all the bitching from Bernie's camp, Pete was the real victim of the Iowa screw up. He didn't get the Iowa bump he should have gotten. It's possible that Iowa bump would have bolstered him to sustain the Klob surge in NH which would have given him a second win. That could have helped him get 2nd in LV.

Basically Pete had the right strategy of focusing on Iowa to ride the momentum, but Iowa screwed up so badly he didn't have enough momentum. Plus Steyer and Bloomberg were unexpected problems for him as well. He was very well positioned to be #2 as the race stood a few months ago.

I’ve gone from Warren early to Buttigieg then lately back to Warren.

But now seriously considering voting reluctantly for Biden later today.

I think Warren, Klobuchar, and Buttigieg are all preferable over Biden. But Biden seems most possibly able to beat Sanders.

F it, maybe I’ll just vote for Warren anyhow.

Or Biden.

Sheesh.

I completely agree with your 3rd sentence. I've been a Buttigieg guy all along, but it appears the writing is on the wall. I've been used to voting for the lesser of 2 evils for 3 decades now. And it looks like the only 3 viable Dems who could get to 1990 are the 3 old white guys. So as long as Biden continues to perform decently, he's the alternative to Sanders.

voting in South Carolina tomorrow and will vote for Biden. I feel good about it too, just wish he were 15 years younger. I don't dislike Bernie- he just makes me so nervous as the candidate to go against trump.

For all the bitching from Bernie's camp, Pete was the real victim of the Iowa screw up. He didn't get the Iowa bump he should have gotten. It's possible that Iowa bump would have bolstered him to sustain the Klob surge in NH which would have given him a second win. That could have helped him get 2nd in LV.

Basically Pete had the right strategy of focusing on Iowa to ride the momentum, but Iowa screwed up so badly he didn't have enough momentum. Plus Steyer and Bloomberg were unexpected problems for him as well. He was very well positioned to be #2 as the race stood a few months ago.

I agree, especially with your 2nd paragraph. That said, it is what it is.

I'll do this bet, rj:

Bernie Sanders wins POTUS, rj permabanned.

Any other outcome, townie permabanned.

The quote from Strickland shows what a moron he is. Only a blind, hate-filled fool would ever compare me to BKF. Like me or hate me, you know where I stand. I would never support Trump or the right like BKF has morphed into.

OTOH, Strick and Townie are totally Trumpian. It's always been their way or the highway. Plus, if you don't believe EXACTLY how they do and don't kiss their asses, they will cry and lash out just like Trump. In fact, given these repeated tendencies, it is far more likely that as they age they will become radically RW.

If you don't take their positions, without any questions, even if the goal is the same, you are their enemy. It's why they are so weak.

Now, read this in a Donald Trump voice:

The quote from Strickland shows what a moron he is. Only a blind, hate-filled fool would ever compare me to BKF. Like me or hate me, you know where I stand. I would never support Trump or the right like BKF has morphed into.

OTOH, Strick and Townie are totally Trumpian. It's always been their way or the highway. Plus, if you don't believe EXACTLY how they do and don't kiss their asses, they will cry and lash out just like Trump. In fact, given these repeated tendencies, it is far more likely that as they age they will become radically RW.

If you don't take their positions, without any questions, even if the goal is the same, you are their enemy. It's why they are so weak.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Back