• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Primary

How, Strick? In conjunction with Senate and House Democrats.

Democrats have to get away from this idea that all powerful Presidents. It’s a team effort.

WASPY old money New England elitist who hates America because he threw his army medals away

Honestly he seems like a decent guy, but that’s a horrific profile for a national candidate post Kennedy

He seemed decent to me too, but I canvassed a ton in Forsyth County that summer and the rubes definitely hated him for those reasons.

So, in the future we're going to need an expanded welfare state with a particular focus on uplifting poor communities and communities of color.

How does Joe Biden's past record suggest that he'll govern in those aspects?

I'm thinking about how he's going to deal with the wave of post-forbearance mortgage defaults (and the resulting depression/recession that is going to further economically stratify Americans between the uber-rich and the uber-poor), how the virus is going to decimate non-corporate local economies, the political and infrastructural challenges associated with climate change, and the long-running question of how to use institutional levers to make America a social mobility machine again.

I would love to hear your thoughts on any of these areas.
Reality is always going to look bad compared to your fantasy policy preferences where Bernie Sanders wins the presidency emphatically with huge swing state coattails.

I liked Elizabeth Warren in large part due to the consistency between her ideology and her record. That's a major reason I preferred her over Sanders.

And the reality is that Joe Biden is going to inherit a dumpster fire and hopefully he can get us out of it, so you could always try engaging with the questions. It's not like we're stuck inside or anything.

You are just incredibly dumb.

42bte7qp3df41.png

Dont flatter yourself you're just a garden-variety idiot

Biden is going to go the way the Dem party winds blow. Want to know how progressive Biden will be? See how many progressives in blue districts win their primaries.

So, you don’t think he’ll have an agenda at all? He’s just an empty suit to be manipulated by whoever is in Congress?

So, you don’t think he’ll have an agenda at all? He’s just an empty suit to be manipulated by whoever is in Congress?

Joe's rep is a guy to gets along and gets things done. I think he'll have a broad Dem agenda and he'll sign what gets through a Dem House and hopefully Dem Senate. I don't think he'll use executive orders that much. I call that a traditional Dem administration. If you call that an "empty suit" manipulated by Congress, that's fine.

There’s a term for people who mock people for not being smart.

Joe's rep is a guy to gets along and gets things done. I think he'll have a broad Dem agenda and he'll sign what gets through a Dem House and hopefully Dem Senate. I don't think he'll use executive orders that much. I call that a traditional Dem administration. If you call that an "empty suit" manipulated by Congress, that's fine.

He did say he’d veto M4A or GND.

No. I’m saying if the weight of the party is behind GND and M4A, he won’t buck them.

Would you accept a M4A that Biden would sign or would you think Bernie sold out?

WASPY old money New England elitist who hates America because he threw his army medals away

Honestly he seems like a decent guy, but that’s a horrific profile for a national candidate post Kennedy

So, pretty much he was a “bad candidate” for bullshit reasons.

I love how conservatives keep blaming presidents Bush and Trump on the Dems for putting up bad candidates, when it was the fox media machine and “swift boating” super pacs spreading lies that makes these candidates bad. Kerry was a good candidate. A respected Senator, and a combat veteran (not conscripted but enlisted) whose reputation and candidacy was ruined by conservative media and indecision on the validity of the Iraq war. Which, we now all know was invalid. (Btw, Kerry, like Kennedy, was not a WASP, they were both fairly overt Catholics.)

So, pretty much he was a “bad candidate” for bullshit reasons.

I love how conservatives keep blaming presidents Bush and Trump on the Dems for putting up bad candidates, when it was the fox media machine and “swift boating” super pacs spreading lies that makes these candidates bad. Kerry was a good candidate. A respected Senator, and a combat veteran (not conscripted but enlisted) whose reputation and candidacy was ruined by conservative media and indecision on the validity of the Iraq war. Which, we now all know was invalid. (Btw, Kerry, like Kennedy, was not a WASP, they were both fairly overt Catholics.)

WASPy was the incorrect term (I knew JFK was Catholic, as he was the first) but you get the picture.

And I’m not a conservative, I’m far from it. But the Democratic party running someone with that pedigree/identity in a 21st century American presidential election was very naive. Especially as a moderate/neoliberalism candidate, because it’s not going to excite or mobilize many people. It’s not like he ran on a platform of real change or reform.

Last edited:
So who was your candidate in 2004?

(Please say Dean, young bkf. Please say Dean.)

Back