• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Democratic Presidential Primary

Catamount's favorite candidate was Buttigieg. He is most definitely a liberal.

I think the point is that national politicians, particularly in Congress, had enough information that they could have made a more informed decision. The general public, thank the lord, doesn't make decisions like sending troops to die in foreign countries. I'll give Congress a break for Afghanistan, but Iraq was just pure unadulterated imperialist war games under the guise of national security and humanitarian aid.

Well said.

I agree with both of you. Still doesn't make it a winning electoral issue in 2004.

Agreed as long as Bernie bro’s stay calm Biden walks away with this. The biggest detriment to this country is the far leftist.

Blaming the Dems again. The biggest detriment to this country is the GOP. It is entirely deplorable from top to bottom, and any self respecting half wit would have left the party by now.

Blaming the Dems again. The biggest detriment to this country is the GOP. It is entirely deplorable from top to bottom, and any self respecting half wit would have left the party by now.

Pretty much.

Bush was not a particularly strong candidate and should not have won either in 2000 or in 2004 but the Dems managed to put up even worse candidates both times. They did it again in 2016 against Trump, and this time they lost the "unlosable" election. Looks like they are up to their old tricks again and ready to nominate another terrible candidate, even worse than Gore, Kerry or Clinton, a man who was never all that sharp and is now clearly in severe mental decline. Due to the uncertain duration and consequences of the coronavirus pandemic, Trump could still lose this election, if the public decides to blame him. But the Dems are gonna have to come up with something better than Joe Biden. If the Dems do go through and nominate Joe Biden they will be doing little more than trying to limit collateral damage to their other candidates, the sort of damage nominating Bernie would have caused.

How did Warren voters decide to distribute their support, Ph?

I know actual Green Party types (not to mention all of the other end of ballot weird parties that you haven't ever thought about as parties types). If they aren't voting for their weird ass parties, then most of them aren't voting at all. They may be ideological in similar places, but they aren't voting for Democrats.

OK, I thought about it and I think I'm annoyed because on a thread where everybody more or less agrees, you refuse to apply the critical lens that makes you a good poster (IMO) to the candidate we're all going to vote for anyway. It would just be great if you would admit that Joe Biden's record outside of his eight years with Barack Obama just isn't really that good. For every VAWA, there's a crime bill. For every "Middle Class Joe" there's the 2005 bill I posted about. For every "Trump is rapist-in-chief" there's a Tara Reade and history of unwanted sexual-lite contact.

I'll quit being a dick if you can just quit with the equivocating and in one post say what you really think about Joe Biden's record irrespective of Bernie Sanders, Donald Trump, etc.

I don't think Biden's record in 2005 matters that much in 2020. I'm worried about the present and future.

So we're still on the "It's all the LibDems fault for the disastrous Bush and Trump Presidencies." It's nice the see the "party of personal responsibility" taking no responsibility for supporting awful presidents and their policies and actions, usually to the bitter end.

"If only you Democrats had nominated better candidates - not that I or virtually anyone I know would ever have voted for them - we wouldn't be in this mess. Don't blame me for my voting choices in the GOP primaries and general election!" Lolz.

So we're still on the "It's all the LibDems fault for the disastrous Bush and Trump Presidencies." It's nice the see the "party of personal responsibility" taking no responsibility for supporting awful presidents and their policies and actions, usually to the bitter end.

"If only you Democrats had nominated better candidates - not that I or virtually anyone I know would ever have voted for them - we wouldn't be in this mess. Don't blame me for my voting choices in the GOP primaries and general election!" Lolz.

when you prefer this kind of desperate contortion over reality, then your prospects for winning elections in the future are worse than doubtful

Just to jog everyone's memory, here is one of RJKarl's sage predictions from the last election. Hillary didn't win any of those 4 states....and she lost Missouri by 56% to 37%. You might want to keep this in mind anytime he professes to have an idea in hell about what is going to happen in the upcoming election.

What were your predictions for the last few elections?

We're all still waiting to see who sailor would prefer as a candidate he only talks shit about every other candidate but never tells us who he would support.

Catamount's favorite candidate was Buttigieg. He is most definitely a liberal.

Among the democratic primary. Pete was running near the centrist Democrat lane. It’s relative. Whatamount isn’t voting for Pete over a typical pub.

Americans don't vote based on VP, although in the case of Biden, they might have to

Idiot's like you are why we have pence. A man so dumb that his own state told him to f+ck off.
I'm simply not excited by biden as a candidate and would love to get excited about the VP selection since that person would likely be the favorite for the 2024 nominee if the dolt loses this year.

I don't think Biden's record in 2005 matters that much in 2020. I'm worried about the present and future.

So, in the future we're going to need an expanded welfare state with a particular focus on uplifting poor communities and communities of color.

How does Joe Biden's past record suggest that he'll govern in those aspects?

I'm thinking about how he's going to deal with the wave of post-forbearance mortgage defaults (and the resulting depression/recession that is going to further economically stratify Americans between the uber-rich and the uber-poor), how the virus is going to decimate non-corporate local economies, the political and infrastructural challenges associated with climate change, and the long-running question of how to use institutional levers to make America a social mobility machine again.

I would love to hear your thoughts on any of these areas.

What made Kerry such an awful candidate?

WASPY old money New England elitist who hates America because he threw his army medals away

Honestly he seems like a decent guy, but that’s a horrific profile for a national candidate post Kennedy

Back