• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 NFL Draft - Wake Prospects Discussion

WFUWaldo

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Via The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/1232234/201...yers-who-are-rising-in-the-eyes-of-nfl-teams/

Whole article is requires the subscription, but Surratt is listed at #5 and Boogie at #3 with the following (asterisk means a draft eligible underclassman) -

“5. *Sage Surratt, WR, Wake Forest (6-3, 224, 4.56)

The only receiver nationally with 30-plus catches and 450-plus receiving yards thus far, Surratt does an outstanding job isolating the football and finishing strong. He doesn’t win with track speed, but he is able to release vertically and threaten downfield routes from either the slot or outside. With his size, twitch and body control, Surratt is following the JJ Arcega-Whiteside (2019 second rounder) path to the NFL.”

"3. *Carlos Basham Jr., EDGE, Wake Forest (6-5, 278, 4.78)

Multiple Demon Deacons on this list of risers? Basham has been a problem for opposing offenses, registering 4.5 sacks this season and ranking top five in the FBS in quarterback pressures. And his production might be even greater, but he moves inside to nose tackle on most passing downs for the Wake defense. Basham is diverse and relentless in his rush attack, and his impact is creating a buzz in scouting circles."

Last edited:
Who we recruited heavily out of wake forest N.C. and lost to Stanford.

Keep reading, at least to No. 3: Boogie.

It was only a matter of time.

484 receiving yards is good for 2nd in the country, plus 30 receptions (T-5th), and 5 touchdowns (T-8th).

Keep reading, at least to No. 3: Boogie.

I got so excited to start a thread I didn't finish the article...

3. *Carlos Basham Jr., EDGE, Wake Forest (6-5, 278, 4.78)

Multiple Demon Deacons on this list of risers? Basham has been a problem for opposing offenses, registering 4.5 sacks this season and ranking top five in the FBS in quarterback pressures. And his production might be even greater, but he moves inside to nose tackle on most passing downs for the Wake defense. Basham is diverse and relentless in his rush attack, and his impact is creating a buzz in scouting circles.

I now have a sinking feeling that we're going to finish the season 4-4, eek out a Sun Bowl victory, and Sage, Boogie, and Jamie all go pro. That would be pretty classic Wake Forest... Hopefully it's just Monday.

Newman is putting up Will Grier type numbers.

Newman is putting up Will Grier type numbers.

Yeah, but who the hell is Greg Ward? Was he a Houston/Kingsbury production? Am I remembering that right?

I think we've got a good deal of potential NFL talent on this team. Maggio and Sciba should get looks I would think. Newman is certainly looking like a potential top 10 QB if he continues, Surratt for sure, Washington with his size should get a look, I think Cade might at least get a look, Justin Herron will get a shot. On the defense, Boogie almost certain, Strnad almost certain, Bassey should get a shot too. We've got some really good talent on this team I think, just need to keep everybody healthy.

Wondering if NFL gm's think Surratt can be converted to tight end like Desmond Clark? He's need to put on another 20 pounds I'd think. Not sure Surratt has the speed for playing the outside in the NFL. He certainly won't wow anyone at the combine. He's a bit of a tweener.

Wondering if NFL gm's think Surratt can be converted to tight end like Desmond Clark? He's need to put on another 20 pounds I'd think. Not sure Surratt has the speed for playing the outside in the NFL. He certainly won't wow anyone at the combine. He's a bit of a tweener.

Agreed. He runs routes more like a tight end. Maybe he can bulk up.

If he can ad some bulk I see some Evan Engram type production/potential in him

I think we've got a good deal of potential NFL talent on this team. Maggio and Sciba should get looks I would think. Newman is certainly looking like a potential top 10 QB if he continues, Surratt for sure, Washington with his size should get a look, I think Cade might at least get a look, Justin Herron will get a shot. On the defense, Boogie almost certain, Strnad almost certain, Bassey should get a shot too. We've got some really good talent on this team I think, just need to keep everybody healthy.

We've talked about Hinton getting a shot, too. Needs to get back on the field, but he may translate to the next level better than Dortch due to his size.

If he can ad some bulk I see some Evan Engram type production/potential in him

Except Evan Engram ran/runs a 4.42 in the 40. Surratt is most likely in the 4.7 range.

Surratt is a great college wideout. And we may end up getting lucky that he plays all 4 years due to his lack of elite athleticism.

I was thinking more of an Anquan Boldin. He was 6'1" 220 and ran a 4.7. Great hands, makes plays in traffic and too physical for smaller DBs.

Except Evan Engram ran/runs a 4.42 in the 40. Surratt is most likely in the 4.7 range.

Surratt is a great college wideout. And we may end up getting lucky that he plays all 4 years due to his lack of elite athleticism.

Yeah, Engram is the fastest player on the Giants (that included OBJ).

Back