• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 NFL Draft - Wake Prospects Discussion

And maybe Sage got stronger and developed as a football player that redshirt year. Greene and Groulx are two 4 star receivers who have not played a game yet. If there is a need at that position and Clawson feels that you can contribute better than the available players, he has proven that you get to play - see Kenneth Walker III.

Greene and Groulx wanted to redshirt under the 4 game rule due to the talent at receiver. Walker is the best back on the team and will get tons of reps this year. Apples and oranges.

Surrat will have every receiving record in the book if he stays all 4 years.

Surrat will have every receiving record in the book if he stays all 4 years.

I think he has a decent shot to to break Chris Givens' record for rec yards in a season (1,330) and Kenny Duckett's record for TDs in a season (12).

It will be tough to reach Camp's record for total receptions (229).

Who’s got that ESPN+ login?

They will play, book it

I think Clawson plays them similarly to Hartman in that you wait until later in season to start using for 4 games unless we suffer a # of injuries @ WR position where you would pull the shirt to get the best talent on the field.

Fully expect one of Greene or Groulx to start next year with Scotty, Claude and Hinton graduating. Given Greene is slated for outside WR would assume that is his spot to start and then Groulx is getting major play along with Roberson at the slot with Sage continuing to pile up the stats. Newman has to be seriously excited as long as the Oline play holds up.

I think Clawson plays them similarly to Hartman in that you wait until later in season to start using for 4 games unless we suffer a # of injuries @ WR position where you would pull the shirt to get the best talent on the field.

Fully expect one of Greene or Groulx to start next year with Scotty, Claude and Hinton graduating. Given Greene is slated for outside WR would assume that is his spot to start and then Groulx is getting major play along with Roberson at the slot with Sage continuing to pile up the stats. Newman has to be seriously excited as long as the Oline play holds up.

this is if Sage and Jamie come back. Not feeling great about Sage returning if he keeps climbing up draft boards.

this is if Sage and Jamie come back. Not feeling great about Sage returning if he keeps climbing up draft boards.

Agreed. I think Newman comes back if only because this QB class looks stacked.

Agreed. I think Newman comes back if only because this QB class looks stacked.

I hope you are right, but I keep watching NFL games in which back QBs are looking very shaky. I mean, hell, the Jets. I guess Chase Daniels looked okay in Chicago and I was shocked that all Buffalo had to roll out there was Matt Barkley. I think the NFL is on the cusp of a ton of QB churn. The kid in Pittsburgh, btw, looked pretty good last night in limited viewing ...

If I was Jamie Newman, having spent 4 years at Wake, running the back 10-25 times a game, if I come out of this year with all my limbs healthy - as well as my head - I am going to look hard and deep.

From last week: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-lead-prospects-to-watch-in-week-5/ar-AAHTlgY

This week’s college football schedule might lack the pizzazz of last week but there are still quality NFL draft prospects with some great tests this weekend.

Here are our five prospects to watch in Week 5:

Wake Forest QB Jamie Newman at Boston College
Jamie Newman wasn’t a name that populated a lot of draft lists this summer, as he had to beat out former starter Sam Hartman for the job in camp. Newman’s strong play down the stretch last year, a good spring and a quality camp earned him the starting nod, and head coach Dave Clawson might have a gem on his hands.

Newman opened eyes in the opening-week win over a good Utah State team by outdueling the more ballyhooed Jordan Love, completing 34 of 47 passes (with four clear drops) for 401 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions, also running for 36 yards and a score. On the season, Newman has completed 71.1 percent of his passes for 1,278 yards and a 12-2 TD-INT ratio.

On the surface, this could get a little hairy for Boston College, whose defense has allowed nearly a 68 percent completion rate. The Eagles mostly have been willing to give up short stuff in the passing game and try to jump passes for plays on the ball. They have seven interceptions (by seven different players), the second-highest total in the country.

The first thing you notice about the 6-foot-4, 230-pound Newman is how well built he is for the position. The second is his natural arm talent, poise in the pocket and confidence in his receivers. Even with WR Scotty Washington dropping three of those four passes in the Utah State game, Newman hasn’t gone away from him since, connecting with the wideout and Sage Surratt (a favorite of ours, too) each for five TD passes.

If Newman keeps up this pace and lights up this BC defense, he requires even more attention as a future draft prospect. The redshirt junior turns 22 in December but could end up being a surprise 2020 draft entrant at this rate. In case you’re wondering, Wake Forest hasn’t had a QB drafted since 1989 (Mike Elkins, Round 2).

I hope they all stay but don't blame them if they don't I just want to see them get better shots than Dortch

Unless they have top-3 round guarantees they should come back. Newman should come back if he's not top 2 rounds, because he could play himself into being a 1st round pick. Greg left early because he is a small guy without elite 40 speed, so he wasn't going to be able to do much more to improve his draft stock. If no one leaves early and we bring in a big time class, Wake Forest would probably be picked 2nd in the division next year.

Who’s got that ESPN+ login?

The fourth-year junior is having a breakout season so far, with 4.5 sacks and a forced fumble for the undefeated Demon Deacons. He had 4.5 sacks all of last season. Basham wrecked North Carolina two weeks ago with 2.5 sacks and five total tackles.

"Boogie" has always been physically gifted -- at 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, he could play end in a 4-3 or 3-4 defense -- but he's putting it together this season. And I love his motor -- check out the effort on this scoop-and-score from last season. Basham is making an early case to be included among the top pass-rushing prospects for the 2020 class. -- Kiper

It does work in our favor sometimes. We've just been burned by it a few times recently.

How would Sage leaving result in us being burned? What type of contribution do you think he would have made in 2017 as a true freshman, and would it have changed the outcome of any games?

If the answers are “not much” and “no”, then being burned has more to do with Sage (and the staff) developing really well, not with the redshirt rule.

Obviously, we would all rather have players like Sage who may leave after three years of eligibility than players who stay five years but never exceed mediocre.

How would Sage leaving result in us being burned? What type of contribution do you think he would have made in 2017 as a true freshman, and would it have changed the outcome of any games?

If the answers are “not much” and “no”, then being burned has more to do with Sage (and the staff) developing really well, not with the redshirt rule.

Obviously, we would all rather have players like Sage who may leave after three years of eligibility than players who stay five years but never exceed mediocre.

I'm not saying Sage is burning us...Not saying the staff effed up...Just posting thoughts on a message board how it would be sweet to have Sage another couple of years, which we may end up with. Sage is one of my all time favorite Deacs and I was just noting that Bates and Dortch probably could have contributed their true freshman seasons.

I don't know jack shit and I trust Clawson immensely...So really just posting my thoughts.

My concern about replacing Sage next season (if he leaves) is that we're already replacing Washington, Hinton, and Claude. If 4 of the two-deep need to be replaced, we're expecting basically all of Perry, Greene, Groulx, Jones, and Isaac to be ready, which I think is a risk. We'd be a lot better off with a proven starter returning.

But on that note, I could see Jamie and Sage looking at the turnover this year and deciding it's their best shot to leave. The offense could take a step back next season with many positions changing over. If they get draft projections, can't fault them for taking it.

It would be great if both Sage and Newman came back next year, but having a QB and WR both leave early to be high draft picks is also a big benefit to the program. Not only for recruiting, but in keeping guys like Hartman from transferring by seeing what Newman did in 1.3 years in Clawson's system going from a nobody to a 1-3 round pick, I think it makes other guys less likely to bail early. These are the types of early exits we should be pumping up and excited for, as opposed to the Wellman/Manning mass exodus garbage.

Unless they have top-3 round guarantees they should come back. Newman should come back if he's not top 2 rounds, because he could play himself into being a 1st round pick. Greg left early because he is a small guy without elite 40 speed, so he wasn't going to be able to do much more to improve his draft stock. If no one leaves early and we bring in a big time class, Wake Forest would probably be picked 2nd in the division next year.

lol, nope. I just cannot see it happening.

What were we picked the season after the OB preseason?

Back